Electronic warfare

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before but this is a new feature for me and I'm trying to get a grasp of how it should be used in a CMSF2 scenario.

From my old board wargaming days, I remember playing games like SPI's 'The Next War' and 'Red Star White Star', both of which had EW in a 1980s setting. But it was hardly ubiquitous in the theatre and often was not there at all so I'm thinking, in the 2000s, why not just let BLUE have STRONG all the time and Syria none at all? Why have weaker settings? Is EW really that common or is it something that should only apply in certain situations? My thinking is that it should only apply in rare cases rather than every BLUE v RED Mission.

I'd like to have an active RED EW setting when you're fighting the Special Forces, the Republican Guard and the Airborne but otherwise don't see how the other formations could use it. Besides, the delay it brings is a real pain when you're used to calling in strikes in 3-5 minutes. :D

Well, I've done a bit of reading on the subject (and by that I mean a very superficial dive) and I think I've come up with a system that makes sense to me.

I will have STRONG EW for Blue in the very early missions of a campaign but have it degrade as you progress through the campaign with mission losses being particularly harmful to it. And I'll stick with there being weak EW for RED when the Special Forces, the Guards and the Airborne are fighting. (I've already noticed one or two 'interesting' combo effects when the US has poor EW capabilities which will make some missions more 'exciting'. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to the delay on strikes fore BLUE.)