Cease-Fire...When does it take place

JoMac

Playing a 30+ minute Meeting QB, and both sides did a Cease-Fire early in game (around 10 minutes into game), but game is still going  now for past 3 turns. So, we continue to play normally until Cease-Fire does finally take place.

Is there a certain time that has to elapse before Cease-Fire finally takes effect..I keep clicking on 'Cease-Fire' every turn, but it says; 'Cease-Fire' in effect. Do you want to cancel' (something to that effect).

*Update*...Game Finally over after few minutes of being in Cease-Fire.

Edited by JoMac

I suspect that one of you accidentally deactivated cease fire again or failed to activate it properly somehow. 

Usually you activate it and finish your turn. In the next turn you can watch the execution phase but after that it goes directly to the conclusion screen. 

So if you activate cease fire in the planning phase of turn 5, it should end after the execution phase of turn 4. At least as long both players have it on. 

38 minutes ago, domfluff said:

Cease fire has never been immediate, or at least automatically so. In the same way that the game will go for variable amounts of overtime, cease fire can take a few turns to take effect - this seems to be related to how close the scores are, but it's not clear what the factors are.

Yep CF is strange, doesn't like to work immediately

Maybe cos I play single player campaigns... but since most of us play vs the AI we should confirm that CF always takes place immediately.  It's common to CF in campaigns when objectives have been achieved.  Have never experienced CF taking longer.

Edited by Erwin

55 minutes ago, Erwin said:

since most of us play vs the AI we should confirm that CF always takes place immediately

I mostly play PBEM these days so I can't confirm, but in PEBM it can take a few turns.  I can confirm that surrender appears to be immediate in H2H.  And it wasn't me, just my kind opponent 😉.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:36 PM, domfluff said:

Cease fire has never been immediate, or at least automatically so. In the same way that the game will go for variable amounts of overtime, cease fire can take a few turns to take effect - this seems to be related to how close the scores are, but it's not clear what the factors are.

According to my experience cease fire is very strict in it´s conditions when and where it happens. It is nothing as random as the overtime anomaly at the end of some games.

Usually when both players accept/activate a cease fire you will see the AAR screen in the next turn. There is no dice roll that decides the cease fire to happen in 3 or 10 turns, it happens when player 1 AND player 2 hit it. Like I´ve said you may have to wait for the last execution phase (1minute video) after the last player has initiated the cease fire but they shouldn´t be able to go through another command phase. At least as long both players keep their cease fire up and don´t back down on it.

This is I guess often the reason someone might think the system is random: Either one player has forgotten to initiate it as communicated or backed down on it...either willingful or accidentally.

In single player the cease fire is really immidiately when initiated. The enemy AI will always accept a cease fire/ is automatically set on it, regardless if it is winning sky high or loosing.

9 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Due to the WEGO system it can look like >1 turn.

It sure can, I can recall H2Hs where we've both pressed CF and we're still going for several more turns, including command phases. 

Is there an explanation for this?  All I can think of is the temptation (as mentioned above) to press CF again, which if you're not careful could cancel the CF.

12 hours ago, Vacillator said:

It sure can, I can recall H2Hs where we've both pressed CF and we're still going for several more turns, including command phases. 

Is there an explanation for this?  All I can think of is the temptation (as mentioned above) to press CF again, which if you're not careful could cancel the CF.

I don't know of any other explanation than the one you provided :D.