UA In Unity is Power

The Ukrainian 79th Air Assault Brigade in unity with National Guard are liquidating the enemy helicopter landing party in North Mykolaiv 464×416 (PBEM or Blue vs AI only)

Situation

27th February 2022
Time 17.15 hrs
Mission time 55 minutes.
Weather Light Fog
Wind Medium, From South
Ground Condition Dry

The Russian army approached Mykolaiv with the main forces. To disrupt Ukrainian defense, the Russian command decided to make limited helicopter landings with special forces around the city.

Mission

Ukrainian mixed company needs to liquidate Russian special forces and liberate the Ukrainian Shipbuilding University 

Friendly Forces

Battalion HQ Team
1x 82mm mortar team
1x Sniper team
1x Special Forces Platoon

1x Company Command Squad on BTR-70s
1x Air Assault platoon on BTR-70s
1x National guard platoon on Ural's
1x National guard breach platoon on Ural's.

Enemy Forces

Unknown, the only we know that 5 Russian Mi-8 are landed near an old Fire Station.

Plan

Try to spot the enemy, you can try to capture the building yard and use it for a better view. You need to be careful, Russian special forces are well-trained and well-equipped. But
don't lose de time, because Russian forces will approach Mykolaiv this night, and you need to liquidate the enemy fast as you can.

Notes

The scenario is a recreation of how the Ukrainian units from the 79th Air Assault Brigade and National Guard destroyed enemy special forces north of Mykolaiv. The scenario 
is not 100% historically accurate, but I tried my best to speak with some people who fought in this battle, more I study it from internet resources.

Created by Dmytro Gadomskiy

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-black-sea/cm-black-sea-add-ons/ua-in-unity-is-power/

Edited by Dmytro Gadomskyi

Am heading abroad soon and won't have access to decent computer (or even phones) till April earliest, so hope one of the others can help.

Edit: Actually I couldn't resist powering up your scenario to take a look.  Not sure if you want public comments, but my initial take was good (small) map.  Altho units consist of all regulars and I was expecting the SF forces to have better experience etc.  Hope to try it out when I have a few more minutes.

Edited by Erwin

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, Dmytro Gadomskyi said:

If you will have time, will you provide some feedback to me?

Just played through it.  I really enjoyed it, the size of the map worked very well for the amount of units.  Spoilers mixed in below as a warning for others.

The mines were a nasty surprise! I was not expecting a small airborne contingent to have them and deployed them.  Probably lost 6-8 men and a BTR to them.

My mortar was pretty useless.  I figured all the Russians would be in buildings so I tried peppering the university roof but I don't think a single shell landed within 50 meters of the building.  Which meant...

The ATGM on the roof was such a pain (not saying this needs to be changed!).  It spent all its ammo missing at infantry from afar but the crew would not die.  I had a BTR firing at it from a low angle and I think it went through almost all of its 14.5mm and 7.62mm just firing at the crew.  Couldn't kill them until I got some guys on the roof myself.

A few ambushes caught me off guard.  The team in the 1-story facing the out the rear of the fire station took out a breach team.

Translation seemed good.  Only thing is the "Achieve Fire Station" on map objective doesn't really make sense.  "Touch Fire Station" or "Recon Fire Station" might be more fitting.

The ground was really muddy.  Two of my BTRs bogged almost instantly and one became immobilized.  Also there are some heavy forest hexes (I forget what they're called) in the open field that looks like a collection of small bushes but isn't traversable to vehicles.  Don't know if this is intentional.

The Russian company HQ was facing a windowless inside wall and did not participate in any fighting (picture 2).  Might want to rotate them to face the street.

My personal preference is I like some variety in the troops as far as experience and leadership go, but it's not a major issue.  All the Ukrainians were Regular +1 and the Russians Crack +1.  Maybe some of the Ukrainian TDF units are more green than regular, with lower leadership scores?  And likewise maybe the 79th has a couple groups of guys that could be considered veteran, or in the case of the special forces crack, with better leadership scores?  Maybe some of the Russians are more like veteran or even regular experience, with some lower leadership scores mixed in.  My thought is that crack units are guys who have good training and have seen a good deal of combat, or are kind of the cream-of-the-crop special forces.  I don't know if the VDV uses conscripts but if they do have them mixed in I don't know if I could call them crack.

I hope I did worse casualty-wise compared to the real life engagement.  The RPO was also nasty and made it difficult to gain fire superiority.

Дякую!

CM1.jpg

CM2.jpg

Edited by masc

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Openfield in the middle is not for vehicles because when I saw the photo of this place - it was a light swamp(with mud because this is the end of the winter and the ground in most cases is wet) and if we can see all vehicles which are presented in this battle cant pass this type of terrain.

2. About russian company - hmm, interesting I will fix them soon.

3. I made the units with my friend's words who is fighting in this battle and about their combat effectivity. I can probably change something we will see.🙂 

Thanks again!