Combat Mission Cold War - British Army On the Rhine

The_Capt

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

How different was the F432 from the M113?

Similar in basic dimensions and role. M113 has the .50 cal, the FV432 has the smaller calibre 7.62 GPMG. The FV432 does have smoke launchers though, I believe, which the earlier M113s do not.

In employment, very different. The US manuals have some extremely aggressive uses of the M113, dismounting on or past the objective, and fighting from the vehicle where possible.

By comparison, the FV432 would debus troops, then withdraw to a Zulu muster point, safely in the rear. The vehicle wasn't meant for fighting, and there was no expectation that it would.

The FV432 is already in Combat Mission - the version still in use by the British army has been up-armoured and upgraded, and is known as "Bulldog". This vehicle is in CMSF.

Edited by domfluff

4 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Will we get both earlier and later Canadian forces as well, meaning both Centurions (early), and Leopard I's (later)?

I am very interested to see how the Canadians fair to be honest.  The Leopards came aboard in 78 (although there were smaller number integrations earlier) and before that was the Centurion Mark 11.  Game timeframe  is set 1976-1982…so some good assumptions to be made there.  As usual we aim to be as excruciatingly accurate as possible, particularly for the mainstream vehicles and weapon systems.

Fantastic news! Chieftains, L1A1s and Mk IV helmets... 😍

And, hopefully, also... Sheridans!  

The Canadians will make possible some First Clash-style scenario or, better, campaign. I still have Kenneth Macksey's book, very informative and engaging.

P.S. The Soviet Army maintained "border defense"  units with obsolescent tanks in Germany until the end of 1976. I guess that it will be difficult to see IS-3M and T-10M tanks (although it would be interesting). But porting the IS-2M and the ISU-152M shouldn't be difficult (considering that similar models are already included in CMRT).

6 hours ago, The_Capt said:

- And because I just have to represent the home team, we are also doing the Canadians.  That little black box is the planned 4 CMBG AO - you will note this was right at the tail end when the brigade was still part of the BAOR, although for those that really want to play First Clash and park them down in Lahr you are fee to do so because the basic unit structures remained the same.

Oh sweet. In 1976 my father was 2IC of 1 RCR. Not in Germany although he did serve in the Black Watch in Germany before I was born - let us hope you get the time-frame back far enough for that 🙂

4 hours ago, The_Capt said:

I am working on a special Easter egg just for you, but let's see if we can pull it off.

I can't think of what such an Easter Egg for Aragorn may be, other than the entire Dutch Army, but that goes well beyond what the standard definition of what an Easter egg is.

6 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

I was expecting German forces, as the war is mainly fought in German lands and I think they are a must have, but I have to admit, I also want to see the Brits in the game, and getting the Canadians as well is a great bonus. Looking forward to it, many were requesting it.

Yeah I share the sentiment. It's unfortunate that we'll probably have to wait a few more years until the German factions can be added to fight on their own turf. It feels a bit like a CM Korea game without North and South Korean forces.

Oh well, at least we'll get some Leo 1s with the Canadians. And hopefully some Sheridans, which were strangely absent from the main release.

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Kohlenklau, Kevinkin and others will take care of winter, I think.

Yeah, you said that in the 2023 update thread already, I think, and of course you are right. And what a wonderful job the modders are doing!

However, I still think that it is way better to have such assets (snow maps, winter uniforms, snow vehicles) as official content. Why? Because then scenario and campaign creators in the community and also the modders themselves can concentrate on giving us new stuff. All those winter mods for Red Thunder and now for Black Sea! Only so that at some point snow will be officially added to the game after all?

In fact, the only custom campaign with snow for Red Thunder I can think of right now is Dragonwynns Last Panzer. And that doesn't even work without the additional mod package Dragonwynn included (incl. mods by Kohlenklau. I.e. it doesn't use the tagged assets we now have in Fire and Rubble. Why is that? Of course Fire and Rubble is relatively new and campaigns take a long time to create. But isn't it also so that most community campaigns came out shortly after Red Thunder released? Seven (7!) years later the module came out, giving the creators a lot to toy around with. But where is that momentum now, again: 7 years after the game came out? And now the very same mistake is made with Cold War? I said it in the 2023 update thread already but it is not only asset content that CW is lacking (i.e. factions, units) but I think for a lot of people it is quite taxing on the mind to see and play the ever same maps with green hills, lots of forest, country roads, and some small villages. While there are certainly other areas in central Germany one could portray to mix things up (industrial zones, big lakes, ruins from a former battle), the "easiest" way to mix things up map-wise (and the most realistic on top of that, even influencing the gameplay!) is to implement the different seasons.

In the end, I just wanna say this: the sooner we get more variations (including master maps, vehicles, different weather!), the sooner we will see community content with those variations. And community content is what makes these games so long-living in my opinion.

Edited by Sunbather

28 minutes ago, Gkenny said:

Yeah I share the sentiment. It's unfortunate that we'll probably have to wait a few more years until the German factions can be added to fight on their own turf. It feels a bit like a CM Korea game without North and South Korean forces.

Oh well, at least we'll get some Leo 1s with the Canadians. And hopefully some Sheridans, which were strangely absent from the main release.

To be fair this will be one of the fastest turnarounds for a fully fledged module. So if they went with Germans maybe we wouldn't see the module so soon. 

32 minutes ago, Gkenny said:

. And hopefully some Sheridans, which were strangely absent from the main release.

Not really strange, as USAEUR no longer has Sheridans in 1979, which is the beginning timeframe of the base game. 

Edited by Sequoia
spelling

2 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Not really strange, as USAEUR no longer has Sheridans in 1979, which is the beginning timeframe of the base game. 

To my knowledge there still were Sheridans in 1979 in Cav units, and considering that vehicle availability has been fudged a bit to make it into the game (M1, Bradley) - I don't see why the Sheridan couldn't have been included.

9 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Don't give him false hopes :D

Too late 😄

But seriously. The simple fact is that the guys who are making this happen are mainly Americans, Brits and Canadians (I think) and of course they chose their own countries first. I'd do the same. How many Germans, Dutch or Danes are involved in the development of CM? Not many, I bet.

Easter egg or not, the other NATO countries will follow sooner or later. For the moment that's enough for me. Had to swallow my disappointment (a glass of good red wine helped a lot), I must admit that, but beggars can't be chosers. BF has it's own way of doing things, because they are individuals with their own preference and business instinct. Not always what I like to see (missing Ghurkas and Maroccans in CMFI is a good example), but there it is.

For those magnificent modders at this forum a winter mod for CW won't be that difficult. i hope they will be prepared to make it, if not, I also respect that.  

It won't be long before the Dutch ground forces are integrated into the Bundeswehr (it's already happening) so that's one worry less for the future. 😉

Btw @Lethaface, I've ordered my new CM tailor made PC. Thanks again for all your advice!

Edited by Aragorn2002