Canadian Armed Forces Rework

by Atlas

Picture library:   https://imgur.com/a/wZPsRCx

Introduction

Being a CAF soldier myself, it bothered me very much to see the vest used by the soldiers was not period correct (1982 pattern load bearing vest) and to me did not look the way I wanted my pixeltruppen to look.

I started from scratch my vest mod and this time I made a chest rig worn over the fragmentation vest. I decided this based on a photo I found from infanteers in Afghanistan (2008-2010) wearing chest rigs (see picture library). I have made and tested several versions and I finally completed the one I think looks best. I am not the best texture editor but I have spent several hours working on this project. I will give it to you soon, but first care for some history about the Canadian tactical vest?

History:

The CAF is known for using a two system armor carrier including a fragmentation vest and a separate load bearing vest.  However, the troops in Afghanistan did not like the 90s era issued vest very much. The problem is, it isn't nearly modular enough as it had fixed pouches, no MOLLE and simply can't haul enough gear required in the field without major jerry-rigging. Take the mags for example, the average combat load during the Afghan war was 10-12 mags per soldier and the vest can carry only four. On top of that, they are placed very high up on the chest, fully enclosed and hard to reach. The theory was that having the mags on the chest would protect soldiers which were hit in the lungs/heart area. The bullet would first have to pass through a steel mag and it’s ammo, essentially turning your reloads into somewhat of an armor. Except, we aren't in the 90s anymore, and we now have real purpose made armor plates.

It was a great idea at the time, but that time passed a long time ago.

Some units, especially infantry units, allowed their members to wear their own kit because they acknowledged that the issued vest did not meet real life war fighting requirements. Some bought commercially available chest rigs and some used older Canadian issue pattern 82 webbing.

Nearly 20 years later, the tactical vest is still issued today to the disappointment of soldiers across Canada. However, in the late 2010s when going in deployment in some areas (Iraq, Mali) soldiers were issued SORD SCS Chest rigs that had to be given back upon return. Some tests were conducted with various LBV's and chest rigs but there is no replacement in sight at the moment...

Now back to this mod!

Features:

-All pouches reworked with magazines showing from the side of pouches.

-Medical pouch with red cross and buckle

-Two front utility pouches with buckles.

-Uniform with IR Canada flag, IR identification patch and an ISAF patch.

-Made in great detail, the skin has contour shadowing as well as a custom mapping file. 

-Worn and dusty look for all infantry weapons except for sniper rifles and AT launchers

This mod works great with @37mm's Afghanistan timeframe and I hope he might add mine into his.

Notes:

- This is a combination of my 2 previous projects packed in one mod for the sake of simplicity and upgradability.

- I have made the pictures into an IMGUR library so if I add content onto this mod, I will be able to add more photos to the album. Same principle applies for the download, it is in a Google Drive folder.

- The way the CAF soldier is made, the vest is not it's seperate entity and is included in the uniform skin along with it's pouches. Since the pouches are fixed by default, there is no way for me (Please let me know if there is!) to add pouch modularity to the vest even if the game files shows lots of pouches with canadian classnames. That's just the way it is I guess. This game is so realistic, even the lack of modularity of the vest is represented in-game LOL.

Picture library:   https://imgur.com/a/wZPsRCx

Download: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Rys7jpzU9yTxZ1irI5jCM6dqTte2BQDh?usp=share_link

INSTALL:

Extract to

\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Data\z

Hope you enjoy,

Atlas

• 1 month later...

Updated to 1.1

Changelog:

- Added my old vest design with revamped pouches back in the mod as some people may prefer that one over the chest rig.

- Added dirty uniform versions for both tac-vest and chest rig.

- Incorporated 4 different combinations of vest/uniform and their respective mapping files. Here's what you can expect to see:

• Tac-Vest Clean Uniform
  • Tac-Vest Dirty Uniform
  • Chest Rig Clean Uniform
  • Chest Rig Dirty Uniform

These combinations will now appear randomly on soldiers within formations.

They are also customizable to your liking by simply deleting the ones you do not want.

Here's a great video by content creator K.O.B featuring this mod tweaked to his liking.

Cheers!
Atlas

Edited by AtlasActual
Fixed video link

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...