CMBS 2022 - Battle of Antonov Airport/Hostomel

Hey guys, I am putting the finishing touches on a campaign that focuses on the Russian VDV landings at Hostomel Airport on February 24th and 25th of this year, during the opening days of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I could use some play testers to play through the missions and offer feedback to help me polish this up for release.

The campaign features a 1:1 detailed scale map of the full airport and portions of the surrounding towns (Ozera, Blystyvytsia, Hostomel), a map of a town called Sosnivka that I thought would make a nice ambush location northwest of the airport, a map of the crossroads at Berestyanka, which you'll likely recognize from satellite imagery of the infamous 64km long Russian column from early in the war, and several custom flavor objects created for me by the incredible @Lucky_Strikeand @JM Stuff

If you are interested in helping, please leave a comment below or DM me. Thanks in advance! 

-TheFriendlyFelon

image.png.f7d3ebad3155be72ef4b8cb11d9b223f.png

Sosnivka.png

Edited by TheFriendlyFelon

Enjoy it,  @TheFriendlyFelon, you made a huge map very detailled and beautiful.

We can reconized that you have some talent and this is only your first map, you will have lot of followers with your job, @Lucky_Strike was also making beautiful things to added on, a little detail sometime give another aspect and open your mind for more.

JM 

@JM Stuff Thank you my friend! I have a few more maps to show off once I finish putting the final touches on them, I'm just super busy so I've been lagging on getting this all finished. I'm seriously still extremely grateful for you and @Lucky_Strikeyou guys are the real MVP's. Map making is easy (for me) because I do similar stuff for work all the time, but you guys designing the flavor objects I needed has been so helpful. I was demotivated because I was missing some essential pieces for my maps and this probably never would have gotten finished if it werent for you guys. Thank you again!

On 12/5/2022 at 2:01 AM, Artkin said:

Absolutely incredible stuff. Glad to see this finally getting released. It's funny how the hangars look very similar to how I modelled them. I hope you gave the interiors some love. 🙂

I took some inspiration off your designs, for sure. I didn't give the interiors quite as much love as you did, though the hangar areas themselves are all hollowed and they are separated from the Antonov Company offices except a few doors that I placed in roughly the same places as they exist in real life. I've poured literally dozens of hours into just research for the airport map and actually have a pen-pal who lived about a mile from the airport in Hostomel and gave me some pointers. She has since relocated to Germany, but she was very helpful for parts of this.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:48 PM, TheFriendlyFelon said:

Hey guys, I am putting the finishing touches on a campaign that focuses on the Russian VDV landings at Hostomel Airport on February 24th and 25th of this year, during the opening days of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I could use some play testers to play through the missions and offer feedback to help me polish this up for release.

The campaign features a 1:1 detailed scale map of the full airport and portions of the surrounding towns (Ozera, Blystyvytsia, Hostomel), a map of a town called Sosnivka that I thought would make a nice ambush location northwest of the airport, a map of the crossroads at Berestyanka, which you'll likely recognize from satellite imagery of the infamous 64km long Russian column from early in the war, and several custom flavor objects created for me by the incredible @Lucky_Strikeand @JM Stuff

If you are interested in helping, please leave a comment below or DM me. Thanks in advance! 

-TheFriendlyFelon

image.png.f7d3ebad3155be72ef4b8cb11d9b223f.png

Sosnivka.png

Is this for AI or H2H?

On 12/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, Simcoe said:

Is this for AI or H2H?

I started the project with the intention of making it either side vs AI but that proved to be pretty difficult, so now I'm releasing the campaign as Player vs AI but I will release the first and second battle of Antonov Airport separately with AI plans and H2H availability. I am working on the more balanced H2H version now. 

As a general update, I am also revising the Player vs AI campaign to reflect new information I just read last night in a report titled "Preliminary Lessons In Conventional Warfighting from Russia's Invasion of Ukraine: February - July 2022" It had a brief but important section about the first landings that I felt was worth modifying in the AI scripting and reinforcements for the red team. I plan to release this in full by the end of the weekend.

18 hours ago, TheFriendlyFelon said:

I started the project with the intention of making it either side vs AI but that proved to be pretty difficult, so now I'm releasing the campaign as Player vs AI but I will release the first and second battle of Antonov Airport separately with AI plans and H2H availability. I am working on the more balanced H2H version now. 

As a general update, I am also revising the Player vs AI campaign to reflect new information I just read last night in a report titled "Preliminary Lessons In Conventional Warfighting from Russia's Invasion of Ukraine: February - July 2022" It had a brief but important section about the first landings that I felt was worth modifying in the AI scripting and reinforcements for the red team. I plan to release this in full by the end of the weekend.

Great! More than happy to help if needed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 9:23 PM, TheFriendlyFelon said:

Any update in this one?

@Simcoe

Yeah, I'm actually finishing up a map of the actual town of Hostomel right now. If you want, I can send you the first battle at the airport for playtesting. I had @Artkinplay test it and he gave some valuable input and I made necessary corrections. I think that one is ready for another playtest.

Just now, Simcoe said:

Sure! Against AI or H2H?

AI first, then I'm down to go H2H. Problem is I haven't figured out a good way to balance it for H2H so one player could cease fire and win immediately, but if we are playing just to play, that shouldn't be a problem. Check your DM's momentarily. I'll send you over the battle and the mod pack you need so eveything shows up correctly on the map and all the vehicles and units look correct. Almost all the unit and vehicle mods are mod tagged so they won't affect any of your other maps and units. Lots of new custom flavor objects added to the original lineup as well. I'll include a PDF of all the new ones.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:57 PM, TheFriendlyFelon said:

AI first, then I'm down to go H2H. Problem is I haven't figured out a good way to balance it for H2H so one player could cease fire and win immediately, but if we are playing just to play, that shouldn't be a problem. Check your DM's momentarily. I'll send you over the battle and the mod pack you need so eveything shows up correctly on the map and all the vehicles and units look correct. Almost all the unit and vehicle mods are mod tagged so they won't affect any of your other maps and units. Lots of new custom flavor objects added to the original lineup as well. I'll include a PDF of all the new ones.

I usually find casualty parameters and/or friendly bonus parameters work here.  I assume the issue is that on turn one, the defending side is sat on all of the terrain objectives thus giving it a turn one win.  Give the attacking force a friendly casualty parameter worth the equal or nearly equal amount of points and set it at a percentage that takes about half of the scenario length to get whittled down to.  Presumably by that time, the attacking force will then have grabbed or denied some of the terrain objectives from/to the defender.

12 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I usually find casualty parameters and/or friendly bonus parameters work here.  I assume the issue is that on turn one, the defending side is sat on all of the terrain objectives thus giving it a turn one win.  Give the attacking force a friendly casualty parameter worth the equal or nearly equal amount of points and set it at a percentage that takes about half of the scenario length to get whittled down to.  Presumably by that time, the attacking force will then have grabbed or denied some of the terrain objectives from/to the defender.

What exactly does the friendly bonus parameter mean/do? I've never actually understood that one.

Friendly bonus simply awards the allocated number of VPs no matter what the player does or does not do.  If it is set at 100 VPs, those 100 VPs always get awarded.  Designers generally use them in asymmetric situations - they were used a lot in CMSF scenarios to give a boost to the unconventionals/Syrian sides.

Interesting. I ended up using a territory objective the same way so the first Russian paratroopers trigger it on the very first turn, but the friendly bonus method may work better. TBH I'm really burnt out on trying to make this work and might just release the maps and missions I have done in one big clump and give up on the campaign. I've put an awful lot of my time into it to just throw it all away but I'm over it at this point. 

14 hours ago, TheFriendlyFelon said:

Interesting. I ended up using a territory objective the same way so the first Russian paratroopers trigger it on the very first turn, but the friendly bonus method may work better. TBH I'm really burnt out on trying to make this work and might just release the maps and missions I have done in one big clump and give up on the campaign. I've put an awful lot of my time into it to just throw it all away but I'm over it at this point. 

Have you tried @Ithikial_AU's Victory Point calculator - it makes the whole VP thing a lot easier to work out.

13 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Have you tried @Ithikial_AU's Victory Point calculator - it makes the whole VP thing a lot easier to work out.

Yes I have. That thing is a extremely helpful for sure. I think my problem is understanding how to use the different objective types to simulate the scenarios Im trying to create. I DM'ed you what I've got, including the maps. Hopefully you can make some sense of it.

12 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I have definitely been using this! Honestly, you are a lifesaver for creating it. 🙏