Wiltz

In a fit of fevered retro gaming, I started up CMBO for the Wild Bill’s “Wiltz” scenario. And adding in ye olde MDMP 1 & 2 mods and sone winter troop and vehicle mods. In my defense, I had started the beautiful CMFB “Road To Wiltz” but before moving past the first few turns, got intrigued by the mention of the CMBO inspiration. I’d never played it. That is one LOOOOONG map!

57 minutes ago, kevinkin said:

I believe the map and scenario were inspired by the Panzer Leader scenario Road to Wiltz. Many of the older guys played that one many times and it became a favorite. 

Thanks for that information, @kevinkin. Much appreciated. I didn’t know it was based on a Panzer Leader scenario. Regrettably, I never played it. Not knowing anything about how it would play out, I advanced cautiously, taking the hilltops in advance but finding no one home. At the outskirts I finally uncovered several guns and AFV back at the rear exit line - at  center and right corner. Knocked them out. Three PzIVs and Stugs methodically hunting down the central avenue. Over on the far left, PzIVs and a Stug have knocked out several half tracks, and a foot infantry unit on the edge. The main body is just now reaching the T intersection at city front, beginning turns to the left side for less opposed exit.  Lost one empty truck that was probing over on the far right in the city outskirts.

18 minutes ago, NamEndedAllen said:

based on a Panzer Leader scenario

Panzer Leader was not nearly as accurate as the follow on PC games like CMBO. If interested, the there are web sites that will show the board game map and units. That's all we had in those days. During the pandemic, board games of all sorts, game back. They are pretty expensive to publish. I think there are web sites where you can request professional looking playing pieces and maps to combine with your own rules to publish your own game. Players still like the look and feel of board games. I can't go back. FOW and PBEM email mean to much and was the holy grail in the late 80s. I still remember my first PBEM in the early 90s using Wargame Construction Set ... Tanks. We used a bulletin board to post saved game files. Those days really paved the way. 

10 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Players still like the look and feel of board games. I can't go back. FOW and PBEM email mean to much and was the holy grail in the late 80s.

Yup.  one changed from being a player to being a "collector" and then stopped buy cardboard wargames altogether.  I have a garage full, over a thousand...  most unplayed.  A major problem was finding pals to play.  As they had kids etc. all the wargamers I knew stopped.

18 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Panzer Leader was not nearly as accurate as the follow on PC games like CMBO. If interested, the there are web sites that will show the board game map and units. That's all we had in those days. During the pandemic, board games of all sorts, game back. They are pretty expensive to publish. I think there are web sites where you can request professional looking playing pieces and maps to combine with your own rules to publish your own game. Players still like the look and feel of board games. I can't go back. FOW and PBEM email mean to much and was the holy grail in the late 80s. I still remember my first PBEM in the early 90s using Wargame Construction Set ... Tanks. We used a bulletin board to post saved game files. Those days really paved the way. 

WCT Tanks! I have that, and Rifles, too. As a kid though, I had only one nearby friend who also was interested in wargame board games. I had Avalon Hill’s D-Day and Tactical Ops, he had Afrika Korps. But he didn’t have the patience for the time those games took. Years passed. Decades! After years of solo computer sim and wargaming, I found TacOps. Ventured into the mailing list for it, made friends with someone who made scenarios and reviewed games, and we began PBEM exchanges. First time ever dipping a cautious toe into the wild and dangerous online gaming world everyone knew was filled with horrors! Falcon 4 quickly took over, along with OFP, ArmA, Longbow 2, etc. He went on to design scenarios used in Steel Beasts which we play periodically until this day - and eventually was hired by the Army for such matters.  I still fly Falcon, DCS, IL-2 online…and weekly ArmA3 sessions with the same group of long time online friends. 

21 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Many of the older guys played that one many times

That sounds like me 😉.  I even used 1/300 metal tanks (painted by myself of course) and even sometimes played against a 'real' opponent, at which point the level of cheating decreased dramatically.  I spend my time now doing PBEMs in all of the WW2 CM titles, which is far better IMO.  And no cheating.