Battlefront Tournament

BFCElvis

We will be doing a short mini-tournament. This is only being announced here of the Battlefront forum but if you know people that don't come here you can certainly tell them about it and they can join. It will be a 1 round short battle. 30 turns in 30 days. For everyone to finish their battles you will need a couple of days where you play 2 turns but the rest a 1 turn a day pace will be fine.

Before joining the tournament, please take a moment and carefully read these instructions that are specific to all Combat Mission Tournaments!!!

-          Because of the way that Combat Mission’s original “play by email” system works, both game files have an in game field for password protection of the file. This field should be left blank. For the US side the password has been selected before the battles were sent and that field is to be left blank. You can use a password for the Russian side but it isn’t needed because the Tournament feature handles protection from cheating without using the in game system. I am happy to get into the "why" behind this if anyone is curious but for now, take it on faith that this is the only way.

-          The Tournament will have you playing 2 individual battles where you are playing both sides of the same battle. If you get into the game before your opponent, you will see 1 game turn to play. If your opponent has gotten there first then you will see 2 turn files and each turn thereafter should have 2 files.

-           During beta testing 1 person had an issue. His issue was that, after playing his turn, the files did not disappear from his In Progress list (they should). However, his opponent did receive the files. If both players continue to play the turns the game will proceed as it should. If you are a person who finds the files not disappearing after playing them, please contact me. I need your information!!!! It's possible that our beta tester was getting an end user error but I'm not convinced of that.

-          To Join a tournament go to "Saved Game and PBEM" from the game’s splash screen. There is a dropdown menu there where you can select Tournaments. You will see this tournament listed (along with the previous pubic beta tournament). This one is titled "Battlefront". Select it and click Join. You will get a gray window confirming that you’ve joined. You will be able to Join the tournament until it begins on Monday November 7th at 12 noon EST.

- Once a tournament begins you will receive the files in the "Saved Game and PBEM" drop menu under Automated PBEM++ In Progress. You will receive email notifications when your opponent has sent you turns. 

- You will need a Matrix user name and password to play any tournament (or PBEM++ battle). If you don't have one already you can get one here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/login

Any questions? The tournament is open and can be joined now. I set this one for 50 people, rather than the 100 for the last one. Again, it begins Monday November 7th at 12 noon EST. 

3 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

will you have any WW2 tournaments?

Oh yeah. But right now the feature is only available for Cold War. Builds for Shock Force 2 and Black Sea should be up soon.

Battle for Normandy will have it when it is available on Steam. I expect that there will be a tournament around the Steam release. (Note to self......it's never too early to see if the testers can come up with some special battles for then.)

On 11/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, MeatEtr said:

Lock & Load & Ready to Rock & Roll! 😁

624012253_rIpDcAV-Imgur.gif.8efd101373c5be55b7048a09cc161787.gif

As I recall, the fire team above sufffered 67% KIA in subsequent engagements. 

And if you haven't seen the new predator movie (Prey) you should.  Epic. 

Edited by danfrodo
addition

Thanks to my opponent and winner GeorgeMC (my first PBEM on CW, no problem with PBEM++). The challenge is really on the American side. Both had no survivors on the US side at the end of the game. I played the US side game against the AI and so it's possible to win, but against a human player ...

21 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

Thanks to my opponent and winner GeorgeMC (my first PBEM on CW, no problem with PBEM++). The challenge is really on the American side. Both had no survivors on the US side at the end of the game. I played the US side game against the AI and so it's possible to win, but against a human player ...

Thank you :) And thank you for a couple of excellent challenging games. I really enjoyed them, and the fast turn rate :)

Aye its an Alamo situation for the US player that's for sure!

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

It auto-surrendered him when he didn't have any troops left.

Hmm not sure how appropriate that is. It's hypothetically possible for somebody to lose all their troops and still deny victory because none of the occupy objectives were taken by the end of the match, or because the opponents casualties were too heavy (think NATO's casualty-aversion in SF2) depending on scoring.

Perhaps a ceasefire would be better?

Edited by Grey_Fox

3 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Hmm not sure how appropriate that is. It's hypothetically possible for somebody to lose all their troops and still deny victory because none of the occupy objectives were taken by the end of the match, or because the opponents casualties were too heavy (think NATO's casualty-aversion in SF2) depending on scoring.

Perhaps a ceasefire would be better?

It appears to have been a computer auto surrender. He knew he was toast in the battle and told me "I had 1 guy left so i tested the 'oh sh*t, I'm f*cked - get me out of here' option." and ran the 1 guy right at my troops.

39 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

It appears to have been a computer auto surrender. He knew he was toast in the battle and told me "I had 1 guy left so i tested the 'oh sh*t, I'm f*cked - get me out of here' option." and ran the 1 guy right at my troops.

I've never had an auto-surrender forced on me in a normal PBEM even when all my troops have been killed. They went to the time limit and ended in a ceasefire.

And yes, both of those scenarios were about causing as much damage to the enemy as possible - friendly casualties weren't important.

Edited by Grey_Fox