Those D%$m 60mm Mortars Again!

1 hour ago, PEB14 said:

As Bullepoint points out, it isn't for on-map assets.

In my present CMFI game, as a US player, I have two 60-mm mortars attached to Co HQ.

I put the mortars behind a ridge, Co HQ on top of the ridge, 20 meters away from both mortars, in voice contact.

If I use the Co HQ to call for indirect fire, delay is 5 minutes.

If I use any platoon HQ to call the same mortars for indirect fire, delay is... 5 minutes. Even platoons from another Co.

It's just how the game works, unfortunately.

I haven't played the old CM games (CMBB etc), but I read that in those games, it was possible to do what you are asking about - mortars behind a crest, spotter hiding on top. Then the mortars could fire as if they themselves had LOS.

4 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

mortars behind a crest, spotter hiding on top. Then the mortars could fire as if they themselves had LOS.

That is how we use the light to medium mortars in the present game. Need to find fire positions which is not difficult. I published the screenshot on the previous page. Frustrating sometimes, I type and the Rottie pays attention.

Edited by chuckdyke

21 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

It's just how the game works, unfortunately.

I haven't played the old CM games (CMBB etc), but I read that in those games, it was possible to do what you are asking about - mortars behind a crest, spotter hiding on top. Then the mortars could fire as if they themselves had LOS.

Yeah it worked like that. Only downside (at least for the receiving end) was that you had no reaction time at all: You clicked at the desired target, which could be observed by the linked hq, and it was immediately "fire for effect". Not that realistic either. 

This way you would never ever want to put mortars in a direct fire role, only maybe if the commanding hq died or you needed to spread the mortars around the map without an hq in range. 

In the Cmx2 games you have a trade of: Fire via observer and stay safe but have a delay OR fire on your own in an instant but may be exposed to enemy fire. 

If you have the luxury of choosing the experience with the spotter and mortar I would recommend getting them as high as possible if you want short call times. 

In my last CMFB game I got both at crack level and the call in time were about 2 minutes till the first spotting round landed. 

1 hour ago, Brille said:

Yeah it worked like that. Only downside (at least for the receiving end) was that you had no reaction time at all: You clicked at the desired target, which could be observed by the linked hq, and it was immediately "fire for effect". Not that realistic either. 

This way you would never ever want to put mortars in a direct fire role, only maybe if the commanding hq died or you needed to spread the mortars around the map without an hq in range. 

In the Cmx2 games you have a trade of: Fire via observer and stay safe but have a delay OR fire on your own in an instant but may be exposed to enemy fire. 

I like trade-offs. Clearly it should not be instant fire for effect.

The issue is that you get the same call time no matter if it's the mortar's own HQ calling in the strike or some completely other unit HQ on the other side of the map, which has to go through a long C2 command chain.

• 9 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 9:31 PM, JoMac said:

Because you didn't purchase TRP's near the the Target Area to get them in half the time ?

Playing Hot Time in Hatten now in a PBEM as US.  You don't get a choice to purchase TRPs, it's not a QB.

And yes, the 60mm mortars are pretty useless so far.  I'm trying to get them into direct fire positions where they won't immediately die.  At the same time my opponent is raining heavy calibre artillery on my forward positions 🙄.

But that's a small element of the battle...