Budapest Map and The Siege of Budapest scenarios?

ham17

Hey welcome to the forums Ham17.

I don't think anyone has taken it on. There was a bit of chatter about it, but I haven't seen any scenarios nor maps for it here. Have you looked over on the Few Good Men and its Scenario Depot site? There might be something there. Would be a pretty mammoth undertaking but there's surely a campaign-worth of scenarios that could be made.

Stalingrad was started quite a few years ago with a large mod pack since the timeframe is outside the game timeframe setting.

If you're thinking of taking on Budapest then you might want to look at some of the work that's gone into the Berlin scenarios and extreme mods made for some of them. A lot of that could be helpful if you wanted to tackle Budapest.

coming soon

image.jpeg.6777fbc26b69b25f217f125f608e5610.jpeg

CMRT FESTUNG BUDAPEST UNCLES AND PUPS

^
Buda, Hungary. 1 January 1945.
By 26 December 1944, Soviet forces were finally able to
complete the outer encirclement of Budapest when lead
units of the 18th Tank Corps linked up with forward
elements of the 6th Guards Tank Army northwest of the city
near Estergom. Initial penetrations by Soviet
reconnaissance elements toward the heart of the Axis
defenses, the Vasbegy area, were made from northwest of
the Buda side of the city. These first attacks were
stopped near the new St. Janos Hospital on Christmas Day
by a combined force of squads from the Hungarian
University Assault Battalion and the city gendarmes.
Beginning on 30 December, units of the Soviet 108th Guards
Rifle Division's 311th Guards Rifle Regiment, supported by
SU-76Ms from the 1897th Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment
launched a series of attacks from the area around the
hospital in an effort to dislodge the Axis defenders from
the Varosmajor.
^
You are a Captain in the 311th Guards Rifle Regiment. Your
force is a company of infantry paired with 5 self-
propelled guns. 
^
The Axis force is most likely a Hungarian infantry unit
dug in on their own soil and supported by heavy weapons.
^
Press forward to take the Cogwheel Railway embankment and
the rail station.
^
You have 15-20 minutes to achieve your mission. Points are
awarded for destroying enemy units and getting to several
touch objectives as well as holding them from enemy
counterattack.

Note: this is my translation from an existing ASL scenario. It will also be playable as axis vs AI. The mod makes the Germans look and sound like Hungarians.

nlY8BSM.png

Edited by kohlenklau

All my old stuff was lost, so I restarted from what existed as a hybrid of somebody grabbing what I had done back in 2015. Juju still had what he did for me for UI images and sent it to me. I finally sat down and cranked through the voice file renaming using a bulk renamer utility. etc etc Still making some related mods in Blender. Trying to make a Kiraly SMG.

Here is a really cool Budapest map resource for anybody thinking of making Budapest siege maps...

It has 1937 plans of the city to use as a starting point in CM map editor.

https://www.hungaricana.hu/en/budapest-idogep/terkep/

I am now slowly working on a 600m x 600m map in the Buda side of the city, the Szent Janos Hospital - Varosmajor Park area. It will support a small set of scenarios I am working on <<with mods>>.

14 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Here is a really cool Budapest map resource for anybody thinking of making Budapest siege maps...

It has 1937 plans of the city to use as a starting point in CM map editor.

https://www.hungaricana.hu/en/budapest-idogep/terkep/

I am now slowly working on a 600m x 600m map in the Buda side of the city, the Szent Janos Hospital - Varosmajor Park area. It will support a small set of scenarios I am working on <<with mods>>.

Nice find Phil. Look forward to this one.

• 3 months later...

I was thinking about making a few Medium sized scenarios, but it would be about the relief efforts by 6th SS Panzer Army, with some Hungarian Grenadier units to be sprinkled around. We CAN'T let Kohlenklau's beautiful Hungarian uniform mods just go to waste. It would probably be with either 5th SS Wiking or 3rd SS Totenkopf, with Hungarians joining the battle.

• 4 months later...
On 10/11/2022 at 6:52 PM, ham17 said:

Maybe it's already there or someone has asked this many times, but is anyone trying to create a Budapest map or The Siege of Budapest scenario?
There seems to be a maps and scenarios for Stalingrad, though.

Making a Master Map, or possibly 3 to 4 master maps of Budapest would be a huge undertaking, but possible.  It would just take someone or a group to do it.  :)  I got to meet a veteran Hungarian Pioneer (Engineer)  His name was Pistobachi (Spelling),

I have his Bio but talked with him many times about the battle of Budapest.  He said the first waves of Soviet troops, maybe 6 out of 10 had weapons and NKVD had units with LMG's set up in case they turned back.  He was in an OP and had significant views.  They had blocked the streets with cars, carts whatever so when the tanks rolled over they would use Grenade bundles, Panzersfaust, or even Panzershrecks.  The battles were very violent he said and he lost a few comrades.  He was eventually captured and could only hope that his wife and daughter, (His son was killed by Soviet forces near the Don area) would not be mistreated.  (Over 100K would be raped and assaulted).  Anyways he said as an Engineer the Soviets treated him decent as he could fix a lot of things wrong with the camp.  He said the first things they took were his Spork, Boots, bread bag, and Kochgeschirre (Mess tin).  He was eventually released in 1948.

2 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Making a Master Map, or possibly 3 to 4 master maps of Budapest would be a huge undertaking, but possible.  It would just take someone or a group to do it.  :) 

Hi James. I wish I would win powerball and we would pay BFC to do it all. 

But now breath in reality...

Festung Budapest IS a fascinating project. I used an ASL historical module to give me a small scenario idea for "Uncles and Pups". EDIT: I played the scenario in VASL against my forum buddy @Heinrich505 and really enjoyed it. Having Gary around as a teacher-opponent is great. He has a LONG term cultivation of the ASL rules. I attacked as the Soviets.  From my VASL AAR log:

16 Oct2022 Festung Budapest FB1 Uncles and Pups (Gary as Hungarians&Germans/Phil as Soviets) Gary won
NOTES: We scrounged this one up from internet research as we do not own the HASL module. I wish I did but it is too much money and out of stock. Gary has nailed 3 of 5 SU's. I had a lone leader Sgt Chekhov eventually clear mines off the railway. He did have a MMC of 6-2-8 assault engineers with him but they got shot up and broke. It has been a blast and last night a storm hit my area and we had to shut down. It is a cliff hanger as it was the top of the 5th and it is the final half of a turn. We had ALREADY played the Combat Mission Red Thunder version I had created just a few weeks ago where I won as Soviets but mostly due to my errors in setting up the scenario in that game system. The next night we finished the remaining half of a turn, Gary had amazing luck with a perfect die roll for getting a panzerfaust for a MMC and then for a leader. THEN he rolled hits for both and the insane 32 TK for PF left both of my 2 remaining SU's as burning hulks. That killed that half of my required victory conditions. I then went on to successfully take the railway building in CC. But that was just half the VC required and so I lost.

I then had a renewed vigor to make a mod "CMRT Festung Budapest"...!

For translating into the CMRT version I re-did some old mods. I played it H2H against a buddy. I think it was great. I was axis and had my Hungarians but also a Waffen-SS Pak40. I did this by purchasing German Army modded as Hungarians and Waffen-SS were themselves on my all-time favorite autumn oak leaf coats and helmet covers. I had a German voice set modded to sound Hungarian from CMBB files with a lot of German bleed over so it worked semi-ok. If CMRT had one more non-German axis nation, I would not have to double-duty the German voices.

But the entire extra step of adding in an AI plan to "Uncles and Pups" is such a buzz kill for me. 

My expanded Buda map never got fully finished. I actually used the CMAutoEditor (1.0?) to set the elevations lay of the land but never went back to do the other fine details of buildings and such. My original scenario map was smaller...

For other mods, I made a Csaba armoured car. Pitbull made me a nice vehicle crew uniform. I have a half-finished Zrinyi assault gun. Half-finished Kiraly SMG standing in for the MP40.

As usual, my goals and desires exceeded talent and time available.

If anybody wants this pile of goodness, I can post a dropbox link. Maybe take it (discard whatever as you desire) and carry the torch forward.

Edited by kohlenklau

• 5 weeks later...