Jeeps

kb6583

I usually try to move them out of the way. So, as I continue to learn this deceivingly complex but enjoyable game, I have two questions:

1. What use are they?

2. That said, in starting to deploy US forces in the "Hot Time in Hatten" scenario, I noticed three jeeps with radios. Ummm...any advice on how to use them?

Hi (I would say welcome but you've been here a while).

1. What use are Jeeps? 

In-game of course, but just like real life 🙂.  They can move people/stuff about (quickly).  They often (always?) carry additional ammo.  They can be (fairly expendable) recon.  Being a bit sanguine, they have a driver who can be useful.  They sometimes have guns.  Or radios.

2. How to use jeeps with radios?

Thats a good question, which I can't really answer but think the following.  If such a jeep is manned (i.e. not dismounted or destroyed) the radio will 'automatically' be active in the C2 command/communication structure.  It will therefore help to maintain comms, at least between units within the same command, if not beyond.. How far this goes I don't know, but I'm sure some more knowledgeable folk will.

Edited by Vacillator

One has to specify the ma size first.  On small maps, Jeeps and recon vehicles are not that useful...  one may as well dismount passengers and have em walk.  Those vehicles become very useful on large maps where (as Vacillator says) one needs to move inf teams quickly.

The whole thing with radios and C2 is a bit silly imo since most units have an abstracted land line communication.  And the C2 system is not quite "as advertised".   Bizarre situations arise.  Eg: In a large scenario I played an inf unit was able to  more quickly communicate with a completely different Co Hq instead of to its own Co Hq.  

Edited by Erwin

• 1 month later...

Just as people said: On big maps any kind of transport is a godsend.

I had one battle where only infantry was allowed with the exception of unarmed vehicles.

We both had to take a bridge in the middle of the map at dawn and on a big map. So I got myself 15 jeeps and loaded them up with 2 platoons plus some supports (flamethrowers, forward observer, scouts and a machine gun).

They were tasked to get over that bridge before my opponent could and pin him long enough so that my main force could occupy the area.

Those machines are damn fast so I don´t need to say that I got into positions right on time. Both platoons were either destroyed or completely broken but they fullfilled their task. If not for the jeeps it would have turned out to a battle of attrition right at the bridge with noone gaining anything.

Later those jeeps helped me to quickly ferry troops in my backland to counter enemy attacks from another angle.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeeps are particularly useful when you need to recon over vast differences. Theyre worthless in the fight besides being ammo carriers. 

On huge maps you can scoot jeeps around very quickly and it makes a big difference. Recon cars like the BA-64 are super useful in this instance as well