Unlimited Mission Time

Dragon Coder

I made a small Cheat Engine patch for the game, it allows you to prevent the mission ending when the timer runs out.
Just attach cheat engine to the game, then load the file and check the "Disable Mission Timer" checkbox.
When the timer goes to zero it begins counting up, the AI still functions even after you pass the time limit (though no more timed scenario actions will occur).  

I made patches for Normandy, Shock Force 2, Cold War, and Black Sea, which can be found in their respective forums

CM Black Sea.CT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Armalite said:

Excuse me for stupid quiestion: how exactly should this file be attached to the game?

No worries. Start Cheat Engine and CM,

There should be a button that lets you hook CE to a CURRENTLY RUNNING process, like Combatmission.exe (Whatever)

load the "Cheat table" you have downloaded here from one of the menus, and then you should have a list of options that you can either click, or put a 1 or 0 in to enable/disable effects. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 7:30 AM, JohnCamara said:

I don't think this is currently working. "<<Error in line 17(assert("CM Black Sea.exe"+ 3120A2,7E 1F 8B 86 74 B3 00 00)): The bytes at "CM Black Sea.exe" +3120A2 are not what was expected>> 

Perhaps the Steam version of the exe is different? 

This is what happened to me. Any solutions @Dragon Coder???

• 6 months later...

hmm, I've never used Cheat Engine before, and admittedly comes off as a little sketchy to me. Attempted to go ahead and download it and give it a try, but can't get the installer to even run properly.

Otherwise this is, to me personally, honestly perhaps the best and most exciting news I have seen for the Combat Mission series since I first discovered and played the original Shock Force back in 2012. My #1 biggest gripe and pet peeve on any game is probably forced, unavoidable, time limits in a single-player environment. I've messed around and created some simple scenarios with the editor in the past and know how the AI movement is based around time along with limited resources(ammo), but I still have never understood unavoidable time limits in single-player. Seems like an easy decision to me to have an option to disable it even with a big warning message you have to agree to before it takes effect. Even if you have plenty of time left over at the end of the mission just watching every second tick by while playing completely breaks immersion and pulls me out of the experience personally. Such a good series and sandbox to play around in otherwise. Would like the ability to use the in-game pause movement command on units without pausing the entire game and plan my next troop movements in real-time while maybe a small firefight happens here or there if I wish.

Anywhoooo, used to purchase every title starting out even if I personally didn't have too much interest in the setting just to support development, but the time limits honestly bother me that much along with the periodic paid updates on all the games post SF1 finally got me to step away for many years now and have sadly only bought 1 of their last 5 releases. If I could get this to work though it alone would probably be enough to get me to finally upgrade to Shock Force 2 and would make Cold War very tempting to purchase as well.  I search online every year or so to see if anyone has figured out a way to do this, or if any official updates finally change it and am happy to finally see a breakthrough! Very much appreciated and would love to get it working and enjoy me some Combat Mission again soon!

Edited by Bloodwyn
embarrassing redundant grammar mistake

I just tried this with the Steam version of CMBS, and it works perfectly on Windows 11.  You certainly might have to mess with your antivirus when downloading and installing Cheat Engine, but otherwise no problem whatsoever.  It might not be super obvious for the "iPhone" crowd on how to use Cheat Engine to attach the table linked above to the CMBS process, but that doesn't mean the table doesn't work.

I saw that they have a Github page for Cheat Engine so I ended up downloading it from there and compiling it which worked for me no problem which is nice. I ended up getting the same error Boche and JohnCamara  got preventing me from activating the patch which I figured would sadly probably be the case. I didn't pay enough attention to the explanation Dragon Coder gave in the other thread when talking about the demo versions as well: "Sadly the demos won't work for the same reason you must match versions, it will only work for one compiled version.  If the executable changes at all, then the addresses are likely to change as well."

I have the non-steam version of CMBS and never purchased the game engine 4 upgrade so I tested this on game engine 3's version 1.00 and 1.04. Neither of which worked. Makes me wonder if those getting that same error have the most up to date game versions/engine, but just not on steam as well. As I've already purchased all the games from battlefront rather than steam, barring CMCW, which these Cheat Engine patches are from that perhaps doesn't bode well for me. Purchasing upgrades already doesn't feel too good much less repurchasing the entire game if that is the case. That really stinks.. but it is what it is. May still get CMCW on steam someday at least to check it out. Kudos to Dragon Coder for figuring that out though regardless. I'd like to say I'd try to figure that out for the versions I have, but I'm afraid one look at the memory viewer tells me it wouldn't go well, haha!

Edited by Bloodwyn

• 1 month later...

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have got it to work on CMBS but on the other games CMSF2/CMN it won't allow me to tick the "Disable Timer" box. I have downloaded the CE file and dropped it in the games directory. Also loaded the game and exited to the CE programme. After loading the game exe file it gives me the option to tick the "Disable Timer" box but when I click on it nothing happens.

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

A whack load of CV90s or Bradley's would be nice..

Not sure about that...  The Abrams, Leopards and Bradleys already sent do not appear to have had much effect as they are vulnerable to the new warfare being practiced.  Large armored formations sweeping across the Ukraine plains is akin to the WW1 dreams of horse cavalry sweeping across the plains.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Not sure about that...  The Abrams, Leopards and Bradleys already sent do not appear to have had much effect as they are vulnerable to the new warfare being practiced.  Large armored formations sweeping across the Ukraine plains is akin to the WW1 dreams of horse cavalry sweeping across the plains.

Ah now. Your tarring me with a very broad brush. I specifically noted AFVs as a possibly better option than 60t MBTs. It's well documented how effective the Brad's and CV90s have been, with the CVs barracuda coat being especially praised (and its oven!) and the Brads survivability and sensors being top notch. 

I also did not suggest large mech formations as a viable options. More flexible, dispersed mechanized formations tied into vertically and horizontally integrated ISR & Fires networks are one future path, but certainly not large concentrated metal mass "sweeping across the plains". Come on, now. 

Maybe my Irony was too subtle and oblique... 

Edited by Kinophile

41 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Maybe my Irony was too subtle and oblique... 

I did take it literally.  (Subtlety tends to get lost with internet chat. esp with so many here having English as a 2nd language.)    (Your English is quite good, tho'.)