Baraque de Fraiture Scenario

kb6583

Just started playing this scenario as the US. You get a breach team at the start to blow the bridge. Two questions:

1. Every single time I restart this scenario I always get the same message from that breach team: Sir, demo charges won't blow up. Seems this is automatically built into this scenario - true?

2. I do have two pioneer squads in the game. Can they blow that bridge? 

I don't know the scenario, but AFAIK, you simply can't use demo charges on bridges. There's no way of targeting them. If there's something near a bridge that the demo charge can be used to breach (any linear obstacle will do, I think), the bridge will take damage from the nearby explosion, but it seems likely to me that the scenario is "pulling a fast one" on you, telling you that you're going to be able to blow the bridge, and expecting you to have to adapt your plans "on the fly" when the "surprise" failure to demolish occurs. 

The bridge is a "Touch" objective. Moving your troops on to it replicates the laying of large demo charges for furure demolition after the mission ends. You are not expected to blow the bridge in the same way you would blow a gap in a hedge. The message is a bit misleading.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

12 hours ago, womble said:

AFAIK, you simply can't use demo charges on bridges.

It would be great if among the bridges in the editor there were a few of different size and type which already were prepared to be blown up. All one would have to do would be to get the troops there to trigger a timer to make sure the bridge got destroyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Blowing bridges up is a staple of military stories. They're valuable assets and the tension their potential destruction brings to the "table" when telling a battlefield story (which is a large element of what CM lets us do) is attractive.

But that tension doesn't actually require the "sFx" of blowing the bridge up, since the detonation and demolition is generally the end of the story, one way or another. The tension can be thoroughly adequately supplied by making the bridge an overwhelmingly important objective, maybe Touch for one side and Occupy for the other, depending on the story you want to tell.

5 hours ago, markus544 said:

Yes, but seeing the bridge go up in a ball of fire and smoke in front of advancing troops would be cool. Like the 101st AB at Son during operation Market-Garden when the Germans blew in the bridge and all manner of debris rained down.

Destroying bridges is possible in CMSF2 with the use of IEDs in scenarios specifically designed for bridge destruction.  This is as close as we can to bridge demo in CM.  Most scenarios use occupy and touch objectives as explained above by Womble.  Maybe someday. 

CMSF2 Scenario Coup d'etat. 

XTS2KZch.jpg

HaMge9gh.jpg

kHDa3uoh.jpg

OpoklDrh.jpg

47 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Destroying bridges is possible in CMSF2 with the use of IEDs in scenarios specifically designed for bridge destruction.  This is as close as we can to bridge demo in CM.

Wow, my head is truly stuck in WW2 so I've not seen that, but it looks pretty good.  Surely such a thing can be added/ported over to the WW2 titles?  Not sure how the game handles the damage side but obviously it can do it with buildings already.

• 6 months later...

A bridge, even a small one, needs more explosives than one man can carry. More some time is necessary to plant the charges and rigged them. That was not envisaged, in the scenario, since in  CMFB bridges can not be blow up.  The message, therefore comes to warn that the bridge is still up and to be prepared to it's use by the attacking forces. That is the way I felt it should be done, making the the scenario. Anyway at the time many units were having just the time to save their life facing a sudden and unexpected strong and wide  attack.