Combat Mission Red Thunder Battle Pack 1 pre-orders are now open

BFCElvis

47 minutes ago, kevinkin said:

Same here. Not sure how I found the web site back then. How did they get the word out? 

I don't know how they got word out. I know how I found out. Peng and I still always had ASL games going and had started dipping our toes into computer games (Steel Panthers). I came across somefink talking about a computer version of Squad Leader. From there a link to the Moon and Fionn Alpha public AAR. After that was checking every day for news. 

And now I'm on the payroll. It's a weird world.

You're the veteran my friend, so I was hoping to learn 😉.  I'm not sure I have much that I can teach, but you never know.

Learning the game is one thing though, learning from other players is another.  I learnt something totally unexpected this week, just by reading a 'random' post here in a thread I was involved in.  Wish I could remember who it was 👍, must look back.  I had to think about it, try it, and then by coincidence do it the same day in a PBEM.  It has added a bit of time to my setup turns, but that's not a problem and I might do slightly better in some games now.

One thing I like about PBEMs (and there's quite a few things I like) is that I can talk to my opponents, who are usually better at various or all things than I am (or maybe they're just luckier).  We have a laugh and a joke but also a serious talk about why such things have gone a certain way.  Priceless.

As for victory or defeat, it's often such a thin line.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

His name is Declan. At least it was when I saw him in Brockwell Park in 1978.

One of them calls to me and he says, "I know you
You gave me this tattoo back in '82"

You were a spoilt child then with a record to plug
And I was a shaven headed, seaside thug
Things haven't really changed that much
One of us is still getting paid too much

When I was Cruel No.2 - EC

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

You're the veteran my friend, so I was hoping to learn 😉.  I'm not sure I have much that I can teach, but you never know.

Learning the game is one thing though, learning from other players is another.  I learnt something totally unexpected this week, just by reading a 'random' post here in a thread I was involved in.  Wish I could remember who it was 👍, must look back.  I had to think about it, try it, and then by coincidence do it the same day in a PBEM.  It has added a bit of time to my setup turns, but that's not a problem and I might do slightly better in some games now.

One thing I like about PBEMs (and there's quite a few things I like) is that I can talk to my opponents, who are usually better at various or all things than I am (or maybe they're just luckier).  We have a laugh and a joke but also a serious talk about why such things have gone a certain way.  Priceless.

As for victory or defeat, it's often such a thin line.

Well I have never played CM against a human/PBEM in all these years. Used to do TacOps that way, in the previous millennium iirc. Otherwise, with those “humans”, only co-op sims and such. And my skills in CM are minuscule relative to those sims. Which are doubtless not THAT great anyway! So I lean to co- op type entertainment. But in the sort of atmosphere you describe, maybe time to try. 

BTW, Time zone an issue? I see you are standing in the Mother Country, and I on the far Western (better!) edge of North America.

15 hours ago, NamEndedAllen said:

BTW, Time zone an issue? I see you are standing in the Mother Country, and I on the far Western (better!) edge of North America.

Doesn't seem to be, except for limiting the speed of file turn around at times, which isn't the end of the world. 

Thinking about it, I've realised an odd thing - I don't think I've played anyone from outside of North America.  Don't know why that is.  It's probably partly a reflection that I havent played that many people.

Anway, if and when, just PM me here. The off-topic police will then be able to stand down.

15 hours ago, NamEndedAllen said:

the far Western (better!) edge of North America

Controversial 😉.

50 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Doesn't seem to be, except for limiting the speed of file turn around at times, which isn't the end of the world. 

Thinking about it, I've realised an odd thing - I don't think I've played anyone from outside of North America.  Don't know why that is.  It's probably partly a reflection that I havent played that many people.

Anway, if and when, just PM me here. The off-topic police will then be able to stand down.

Controversial 😉.

Will do! 
The sun sets properly over the ocean as it should, on the West Coast. Safely, in beauty and splendour. Clearly better than seeing it descend onto the land as a blazing ball of nuclear fire, consuming our women and children. I don’t understand how those in the East stand the daily horror.

Edited by NamEndedAllen

14 minutes ago, NamEndedAllen said:

The sun sets properly over the ocean as it should, on the West Coast. Safely, in beauty and splendour. Clearly better than seeing it descend onto the land as a blazing ball of nuclear fire, consuming our women and children. I don’t understand how those in the East stand the daily horror.

I've not thought of it like that before, but I'm just about within sight of the Atlantic (well the Bristol Channel to be precise) so I don't disagree.

By 'those in the East' you must mean those who fought over the area in the RT Battle Pack 😉?  And now we're back on-topic 😬.

Edited by Vacillator

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

I've learned from this forum that 'only Texas matters'.  It says so here: @Vergeltungswaffe 😉.

NOLA (unless I'm misunderstanding) is not in Texas?

Technically, NOLA does matter. Because food, music, a big battle there although perhaps getting to be a long time ago. So it is exempt from the East (loser) v West (clearly the winner at the end of the day…ha!) debate. 

Now we return to our regularly scheduled program.