The Fox Condemns the Trap, Not Himself

Aj,

I'm currently at the set-up phase of a gigantic scenario.

I play Axis as dig-in defenders with few trenches. Allied is most completely armored.

The key is holding ground, fallbacks; and last for decisive reinforcements at battle 5.

I have daisy chains and mines of all sorts to force the attacker to deploy early and take ambushed paths and roads.

With soooo many points on map, I've exactly 298 fallback foxholes to deploy...

▪️My question is: Are vehicles of any types, and especially tanks likely to get stuck or suffering immobilization when driving through foxholes ? My idea is to deploy those so many fallback- foxholes as if they were roadblocks or wire. If not immobilization; at least I hope they can considerably slow down those beasts. 

I specifically searched for this information but cannot found it. One like the exposure, cover table. Well...If anyone can recall of a table illustrated the different speed of armors driving threw foxholes, rubbles, light snow, scattered trees; I'll be glad to have it.

▪️The other thing I am wondering is; if fallback-foxholes often turn against the defenders himself when he leaves the 1st spot to his 2nd, then 3rd defensive lines. From first to second line, once safe again; I can easily close a trap on the attackers now occupying my previous location. I have some Target Ref Point and mortars. From 2nd to 3rd line, things get harder as they are closer to each others and the lack of 81 mm rounds ammunitions.

▪️I've also seen an old thread about a bug (or gamey for some), about barbed wire and foxholes allowing armors to cross woods or pines. When deployed one to each others in order to make like a thin line. Like a barbed-wire-bridge through woods; hope I'm clear enough...Is this accurate ?

thanks a lot

Long time since I played CM1, so this may not be accurate...  But, IIRC yes foxholes will slow vehicles (and inf) - may lead to higher % of bogging/immob esp if weather is bad.  

Try and leave foxhole lines just out of LOS of the previous line of foxholes.  Ideally, you want to W/D to the 2nd line and when the enemy occupies the first line, he has no LOS to your 2nd line - so he is exposed when he advances.

Yes, I recall the issue with wire/foxholes enabling one cross "impassable" terrain.  IIRC this is primarily related to vehicles in woods.  

Thanks for your answers.

> I have another couple of wonders about 150mm infantry gun and 81mm mortarsAs I never run any test so far, I was unsure about what sorts of armors the gun can handle in a range like 1300/1500m. I know the gun both fire HE and HC; and I presume, will use the most dedicated ammo if correct arcs are ordered.

>I think mortars are the only weapon modeled to "jump" across obstacles and terrains. Still, I never recorded any armors destruction so far. Since that, I've only used them as a delaying force, or at least something to panic ennemies. If hitting the top of heavy armors; then can they damage for good ?

>My last interrogation is about disembarking a Flak 88 between turns. I have 9 of them to dispose. I'm unsure about three of them and decided to let them embarked on their Sdkfz 7 for now. I've read that still, it is possible to embark/disembark during set-up if at least one Sdkfz 7 is on map. Even if there is nine, or ten Flak 88 to place. But I'm unaware of the time needed for their in-game set-up when the game starts. After reaching the hot spot, If they need like 12 or 15 turns before being able to make their first shot; then I'll reconsider letting them embarked.

t y

IIRC one can only embark 88mm in the set-up turn, never during the game.

It is hard to hit a vehicle with indirect HE.  Takes a lot of ammo and luck.  Close hits may immobilize, but rarely kill.

On map guns that have AT ammo can be effective.

Edited by Erwin

About the Flak 88; I guess my english turned my interrogation into something vague...

>I'm aware of the rule of embarking only during set-up.

>And also, the need of at least one Sdkfz 7 remaining on map to be able to "Place" freely 88mm at Battle 2 set-up.

>And that only one Sdkfz 7 is enough to deploy even a larger number of on-map guns.

My question was about the time needed to disembark 88mm in-game.

-Is this time always the same ? Does the weather or ground conditions have an impact on it ? Or the experience of the gun crew ? Or maybe the one of the Sdkfz 7 ?

You know...Like in those medievals movies. A knight (elite or crack)is waiting for his horse to be saddled. But the esquire (green, or probably conscript) just messed up.