Day of Attrition

Out of interest I just loaded this up.  Took a while but not unusual (I've seen worse in a lot of CMBN battles recently).  Looks like a great map and battle which I must try at some point, but that probably doesn't make you feel any better 😉.

Assuming I'm not breaking any rules (calling @BFCElvis here) I'd be happy to send you the file if you PM me with an email address.  The file is about 1.5MB.

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

Out of interest I just loaded this up.  Took a while but not unusual (I've seen worse in a lot of CMBN battles recently).  Looks like a great map and battle which I must try at some point, but that probably doesn't make you feel any better 😉.

Assuming I'm not breaking any rules (calling @BFCElvis here) I'd be happy to send you the file if you PM me with an email address.  The file is about 1.5MB.

Nope. That isn't breaking any rules. Heck here it is:

Day of Attrition.btt

16 hours ago, Modernrocco said:

I was wondering if anyone could let me copy The Day of Attrition scenario file, I believe i have a corrupted file, it gets to about 63 % load and crashes the game, I have all the Combat Mission games and this is the only mission I've played that does this.

Imma gonna guess that your computer may be struggling with the scenario, rather than the file being corrupted. Try reducing all in game graphic settings while loading the battle. Once it finishes loading you can raise the settings in to game.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:59 PM, Vacillator said:

Looks like a great map and battle which I must try at some point, but that probably doesn't make you feel any better 😉.

Sorry for the slight offtopic, but the map, sadly is not that "great", imo. I have been to Monschau in person and to me it looks like whoever made the map got the general layout right, but misread the elevation on whatever map he was using as a reference. To illustrate my point, this is what Monschau looks like in real life:

Burg Monschau

The map is way too flat.

12 hours ago, Modernrocco said:

I appreciate all of yalls help, I tried dumbing down the graphics and copying the file but it didnt work, I guess ill concede defeat for now..I never had this problem till I switched to SSD. 

Just curious - so you have everything on SSD?  Not sure why this would cause an issue with just this scenario, but there may be others out there who have a similar setup who could try it (sadly not me yet, SSD has Windows and not much else here).  Of course we may get into a full-on computer component comparison fest if we're not careful.

13 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I am all SSD, have never suffered issues that I would attribute to being so endowed. I'll take the scenario for a spin see what happens ...

You have a super sized dick and have never had any problems. Elizabeth asks if you would like to meet her down Gropecunt Lane some time. Obviously, I have no idea what she is talking about.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:29 AM, BFCElvis said:

Imma gonna guess that your computer may be struggling with the scenario, rather than the file being corrupted. Try reducing all in game graphic settings while loading the battle. Once it finishes loading you can raise the settings in to game.

you can do that??? (raise the graphics settings 'in game')    if that works then i could play all the 'large' and 'huge'  maps that my laptop cant handle- glad i checked out this thread. thanks, elvis!  

oh, yeah... how do you raise the graphic levels 'in game'?  i dont see a hotkey for it, so where does one go?  (yes, i'm probably an idiot).

cheers,

rob

10 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

You have a super sized dick and have never had any problems

Apart from hefting it around ...

10 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Obviously, I have no idea what she is talking about.

Nor I, which scenario is that in? 

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Of course I only have a small SSD so I'm not sure where that leaves me...

Sounds like a contradiction, must be painful ...

2 hours ago, quakerparrot67 said:

you can do that??? (raise the graphics settings 'in game')    if that works then i could play all the 'large' and 'huge'  maps that my laptop cant handle- glad i checked out this thread. thanks, elvis!  

oh, yeah... how do you raise the graphic levels 'in game'?  i dont see a hotkey for it, so where does one go?  (yes, i'm probably an idiot).

cheers,

rob

You can adjust the overall graphics settings in the game options menu, that allows for adjusting 3D texture and model quality. When a game is loaded you can adjust 3D model quality with the { and } keys. In game click the Menus button in the GUI to display the hotkeys menu button (and others).

12 hours ago, Vacillator said:

That shouldn't impact on the performance of your SSD should it 😉?

Elizabeth looks up from her copy of The Whitehall Guide to Houses for the Discerning Gentlewoman, and mumbles, "Noddle Head doesn't have an SSD. That is why my eldest boy is called Tumbledown Dick, like father, like son."

16 hours ago, quakerparrot67 said:

cheers,

rob

{ and } will change the 3D models quality. Alt-W will do the shadows. Alt-R will do the shaders.  

On 8/4/2022 at 4:11 AM, Ts4EVER said:

Sorry for the slight offtopic, but the map, sadly is not that "great", imo. I have been to Monschau in person and to me it looks like whoever made the map got the general layout right, but misread the elevation on whatever map he was using as a reference. To illustrate my point, this is what Monschau looks like in real life:

Burg Monschau

The map is way too flat.

managing buildings and steep elevation changes is... well challenging.  I've had a few map ideas I just had to walk away from as they just couldn't be done well.

1 hour ago, Ts4EVER said:

Yeah but from what I have seen in that Wintergewitter campaign, one could have gotten a LOT closer on Monschau.

No I disagree.  The map is quite big in dimensions, it has got a ton of trees on it and quite a few direct elevation tiles.  All of those eat up CPU or RAM or whatever it is that increases load time or in OP's case a CTD.  Add in a ton of units, I won't say how many to avoid spoilers but the amount of units is pretty much at the extent of the game's capacity.  Also add in the fact that CMFB was released eight years ago so the team would have been putting the content together at least a year before that with computers of that era and the constraints rack up.

In map making terms, buildings, particularly tightly packed ones, and sharp elevation changes do not go well together at all.  You end up with sunken doorways which often can't be entered or buildings sunk to window level or above window level which, quite frankly looks sh1t.  You then have pathfinding problems with troops often avoiding sunken doors and choosing an entrance other than the anticipated one by the player which most find somewhat upsetting.  You even posted a screenshot of the Wintergewitter campaign where a building-elevation interface caused you a drama on the CMFI thread for that campaign.  At the end of your part two YouTube video you encountered another problem related to a building-elevation interface where your troops were brassing up an American turn after turn that you couldn't see who was wedged between a building wall and what looked like a 2m high elevation on the adjoining tile.

I suspect that the designer compromised with the map in order to overcome these issues in their depiction of Monschau in order to improve gameplay.