The Rites of Spring

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this from the Ger perspective?

The enemy positions on the vineyard point annihilate anything that I try to move centrally towards it. The flanking position on the right is covered with un-passable forest and I have no AT for smoke.

The only ideas I can think of is a large sweeping movement to the left that I don't really have the time for with all the objectives that I have to take or using the smoke rounds stowed in the tanks to try to obscure the position and running around the rear with the view that my turrets will be able to turn around faster than the 100mm assault guns.

Overview-One.jpg

Edited by Flibby

Just now, Vacillator said:

Is this the match-up against Artkin?  Forgive me if I'm putting 2 and 2 together to make 5.

nope just something I'm playing against the computer :)

Apparently the left also has assault guns in great overwatch positions:

left.png

So initial thoughts - it's a Fire and Rubble scenario but no clue as to who produced it.  Description has a few typos and is a little short on detail, but anyway...

On the map at setup it seems I have no ability to re-position, which is always desirable.  I'll continue, but maybe tomorrow...

I haven't played this one (didn't get F&R), but from the looks of it, it seems the designer wanted you to use the mobility of your halftracks and armour. You have one hour, so it should be possible to flank around, and then concentrate on taking just enough of the objectives to secure a win. You probably don't need to take all of them, and sometimes, limiting the scope is part of the plan.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

taking just enough of the objectives to secure a win.

Destroy the Soviet armor and you score 1000 points if you play German which I did. You have a win. It is a meeting scenario move to contact quickly with the mostest.

On 7/2/2022 at 3:14 AM, Flibby said:

The enemy positions on the vineyard point annihilate anything that I try to move centrally towards it.

The Soviets got SU100 assault guns. These are not tanks the turret of a Pzr4 can swing around a lot quicker than an SU100 can turn on its axis. You need to flank them. 

Communications the first thing you need to establish is horizontal communications with your scout units and the armored Pzr IV Units. So that when you approach the Soviets each Pzr IV will have a tentative contact icon which puts the odds in their favor. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:14 AM, Flibby said:

I don't really have the time for with all the objectives that I have to take

You need to knock out the SU100s which will give you 1000 points enough for a win. Make sure each unit is in communications Soviets depend on brawn only their armor has radios. 

rites.jpg

*SPOILERS* To play against the AI is better experienced as a sandbox exercise to produce a model of the correct tactical model. This is the case of the recon here. After 8 minutes the Soviet plan becomes clear. He rushed forward and used my first objective for an ambush position. One AFV was identified of the type SU100 it has the most advanced Soviet gun in 1945. Post War it was developed to be the main gun of the T54 T55 tanks. NATO equipped its tanks with the 105mm L7 gun to counter it this says something. Never mind the German Pzr IV is completely outgunned in a head-to-head confrontation. SU 100 is essentially a T34 with no turret. The Pzr4 will be able to outmaneuver it and the 75mm gun is more than good enough to penetrate it. The SU100 is not used in tactically the correct way it is not a tank but a mobile AT-Gun. Against a savvy human player I would probably throw in the towel. The Soviets would be better off with the T34/85. To start this battle use your scouts to find the Soviet positions.

spoilers.jpg

Of all the scouts 2 Squad/A team has the most situational awareness he is just not aware that the Soviet mobile unit on the right is eliminated. All the Radio Buttons are green so in a few turns you can give orders to deal with the Soviets. I found playing the game realistic like this is the most fun. I give myself the role of 1 SS Recon Btn and give orders according to the tentative contacts I have on the map.