Scenarios

Still feeling my way around this game. As I've searched for AARs I seem to notice gamers preferring to play the German side. I have mucked around with the American side regarding River of Blood and Second Battle of Chaumont and have come out on the short end of the stick against the AI. Are these two scenarios worth exploring further as the American side or are they hopelessly imbalanced towards the German AI? The German-centric AARs regarding these two scenarios seem to kick the American's butts.

Hello and welcome.  That's a good question as I think a lot of people (me included) want to play the KG Peiper campaign etc. and see if we can do better.  Having tried that though it pretty quickly gets tough so it's not an easy assignment.  I suspect playing as the US in the earlier battles is not easy either (for historical reasons if nothing else).

For what it's worth, my favourite battle so far in FB is 'A Muddy Affair' played by PBEM - quite the slog and (no bragging intended) an eventual victory as, yes you guessed it, the Germans.  My opponent was not easy to beat though...

4 hours ago, kb6583 said:

River of Blood

Against the AI I found attacking is the better option unless the designer specifies it otherwise. Second battle for Chaumont likewise the German side. Playing allies, I found find the Germans and then kick their butt with your supporting weapons. The MG42 will give them superiority against allied infantry especially if you play commonwealth. The allies manufactured 40000 Shermans and they shine as infantry support. 

I tend to play Allies. German infantry can be scary in FB due to the sheer amount of MP44/MG42's and your American troops often comprised of straggler formations. With that being said, I remember Chaumont being tough. But the game is never fully balanced towards the AI. A human player can outsmart the AI in any scenario as you can adapt your attack and the AI's defense is, well, usually static.

41 minutes ago, Artkin said:

The AI doesn't have feelings. Blow them the **** up!

People ignore lots of times that they have a lot more bullets for their MG than a MG42 has. Their MG gunner got a lot better cover than an MG42 has. Once their MG42 is suppressed keep him suppressed by nonstop area fire. It takes a long time before his 7000 rounds run out. Naturally protect them from German armor, their main gun is also not altogether useless for self-protection.