Jump to content

The 82nd Airborne in Normandy - series completed and retiring


Recommended Posts

Today I have re-posted all of the scenarios in my series "The 82nd Airborne in Normandy" and added the final three: "DeGlopper's Medal of Honor", "Le Motey", and "Amfreville - Strike Two!". The re-posting was necessitated by a renumbering of a portion of the series to place DeGlopper in the correct sequence and because I edited all the scenario text files to correct  spelling, grammar and numbering errors as well as revising a few of the Special Rules.

Unless stated otherwise in the Special Rules included with some of my scenarios, players should not pre-plot mortar or artillery fire on turn one when playing any of the scenarios.

This ends my 82nd Abn. series which has focused primarily on the fight to secure the La Fiere causeway and the town of Amfreville with a sidebar to the south to cover Lt. Col. Shanley's stand on Hill 30. There were equally important  actions going on east of the Merdert to secure St. Mere Eglise and hold it against German counter-attacks and the securing of the eastern end of the Chef-du-Point bridges and causeway. At this point I am retiring from scenario and map creation to redirect my time to completing modding an unfinished plastic model (Red Knight of Vienna), painting a few hundred 15mm samurai (I should life so long), playing some of my other favourite computer games - Silent Hunter III (modded), Samurai 2 Total War (modded), Scourge of War Waterloo (modded), Wings of Flanders Fields Between Heaven and Hell, CMFB, CMRT, CMFI ... too many and too little time left.. I may or may not get around to finishing reskinning the CMBN modular buildings and barns to look more Dutch.

My backing off from modding CMBN does not mean that I am backing off from playing what has become my favourite game. Indeed, I would be very pleased if any of you would play any of the H2H scenarios which I have created.

Happy gaming all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WimO said:

Silent Hunter III (modded)

I used to love this going back a few years - Grey Wolves?

As for CMBN you have done a great service Wim and at least a few of us are benefitting.   As you know I have two of your battles under way as H2H, (one of which wasn't meant to be H2H) but I wouldn't mind another against you at some point if that's what you mean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I used to love this going back a few years - Grey Wolves?

As for CMBN you have done a great service Wim and at least a few of us are benefitting.   As you know I have two of your battles under way as H2H, (one of which wasn't meant to be H2H) but I wouldn't mind another against you at some point if that's what you mean.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, playing with me is what I meant to say. You are welcome to chose the scenario and side. Since I am the author I also invite you to look at both sides of the scenario to be as well informed as I. Then we can set up a Dropbox share. Warning. I strongly suspect that my last two scenarios - Le Motey and Amfreville - Strike Two will be difficult for the American player.

Silent Hunter III - GWX v3 Gold. But in near future hope to try the mod LSH3 2022.

 

Edited by WimO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WimO said:

Warning. I strongly suspect that my last two scenarios - Le Motey and Amfreville - Strike Two will be difficult for the American player.

Well if I get to choose sides that's not a problem 😉

I've got to know Amfreville quite well already from 'Boots on the ground' , including odd quirks of where certain vehicles can and can't go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Such a shame that the entire series isn't available in single-player format.

Programming AI responses to create a challenging, varied and enjoyable game takes many! more hours of time and testing than an H2H scenario. Many more hours.

That said, anyone has always been welcome to use the Scenario Editor to modify any of my scenarios as they please including tinkering with play balance, making corrections, or converting more of the SP to H2H and those exclusively H2H to SP.  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WimO said:

Programming AI responses to create a challenging, varied and enjoyable game takes many! more hours of time and testing than an H2H scenario. Many more hours.

That said, anyone has always been welcome to use the Scenario Editor to modify any of my scenarios as they please including tinkering with play balance, making corrections, or converting more of the SP to H2H and those exclusively H2H to SP.  :)

 

Oh yes, I agree. And the work that you have done has been impressive. But, when you are 400 years old trying to adapt your H2H scenarios to SP is beyond my Ken. Hence my use of the phrase "such a shame".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Age checkup. I'm 71, heart and mind failing. You older?

4 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Oh yes, I agree. And the work that you have done has been impressive. But, when you are 400 years old trying to adapt your H2H scenarios to SP is beyond my Ken. Hence my use of the phrase "such a shame".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Age is just a number.  So they say 😉.

Wim, Dave and I are just starting Timmes Digs In if you want feedback on that one?  I've read your notes carefully.  Being the gentleman he is, he selected the one with the larger version of the German forces (Edit: for clarity that's me, he's 82nd through and through).  I'd like a few more troops though and we could forget history and have a few Tigers on hand?

Edited by Vacillator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...