Fording the Siverskyi Donets

My second map project in CM, with maybe a scenario to follow. I wanted to explore the failed Russian river crossing near Bilohorivka and ended up creating this map based on satellite imagery and the various images and videos of that event. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2cb137573d9c5a47ee192ecb471e6405.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.236abb3e09bf8e7bb3b478b86f5b9442.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.16a46285809d065b1485c37675fae1fe.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ecc71918818f63053a4df4f54387e67b.jpeg

Currently just quick battle maps with no AI plan, so HTH only. I'll try to update this with AI plans when I get a chance.

Fording the Siverskyi Donets QB HVH Red Probe.btt Fording the Siverskyi Donets QB HVH Blue Attack.btt

Edited by MrTimn

So I just converted my demonstrative scenario to this map using my Russian troops but leaving the blue troops. I deleted the bridges since the scenario involves "creating" them in the first place. The briefing is in the other thread. This scenario is perfect for showing how these brigade level engineering vehicles are used in combat.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nkv8meoghyzrux/Russian MRB Demonstration Scenario 2 v2.btt?dl=0

crossing.png

(Bridge competed successfully, BMK-255-1 Tug boat deployed from truck, all while under the guidance of the Shore Trafficability team)

Bridging-comp.png

(Engineer TOE)

Thanks for the map!

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, Artkin said:

The briefing is in the other thread.

Please, please tell me which other thread!

(Like, this scenario really should just...have the briefing, you know? I'm actually playing this HtH with someone else because we're interested in the premise but we're in the dark as to what reinforcements we get if any.)

22 minutes ago, Mechasaurian said:

Please, please tell me which other thread!

(Like, this scenario really should just...have the briefing, you know? I'm actually playing this HtH with someone else because we're interested in the premise but we're in the dark as to what reinforcements we get if any.)

What the hell someone's playing one of my scenarios? Two people. Well that sure is flattering. Glad to hear!

I apparently did not write down the reinforcement timings so I'll do that now. I don't remember why, but probably so I didn't spoil things for either side if played pbem considering there are no AI plans. I now realize that I never adjusted the BLU's veterancy, considering they were there on this scenario originally. All I did was replace the Russian side, adding my own flavor to this preexisting scenario. Oops. Additionally I did not really intend for this to be played PBEM in the first place, apparently. Now that I'm reviewing this, the BLU side is crazy strong compared to the Red. The better player must take red and know their chances of success are very, very low.

I really intended for this to be a showcase scenario of how to employ brigade level assets. Any fighting done is a bonus. This is definitely different than most scenarios as it opens up potential for simulation of real world forces and tactics in a way.

Sorry about that. It sort of disappoints me that I released this in it's state. I was probably just happy to post it. I really just wanted to show off the Brigade I created (it's in the thread posted below. You can play with it and make your own scenarios with it too). If you want a really good historical CMBS scenario to play, I highly recommend the Hostomel Airport map which was released somewhat recently. There are 2 on these forums. I recommend both, but the newer one is more up to date and is larger.

I will post the BLU first, and then the RED. So ignore your opponents side as to not spoil things.

BLUFOR REINFORCEMENTS:

20 minutes: 2nd platoon of 1st motorized rifle company + 2 drones

25 minutes: 4th platoon (Weapons) of 1st motorized rifle company

30 minutes: 3rd platoon of 1st motorized rifle company

30 minutes (+ or - 5 minutes): 6x 152mm guns + battalion mortars (6x 120mm Mortar)

30 minutes (+ or - 10 minutes): 3rd motorized rifle company + 6x 122mm guns

40 minutes: 1st platoon of 1st motorized rifle company + HQ

60 minutes: Battalion HQ

REDFOR REINFORCEMENTS:

15 minutes: Bridging platoon

40 minutes: Advance guard (1 MBT platoon, 1 mechanized rifle company (MTLB), ATGM platoon, Mortar battery).

50 minutes: Battalion HQ + battalion signal platoon

The briefing is in this thread here:

I usually don't go the extra mile to add briefings to my scenarios, I just create them schizophrenically and leave them to rot on my hard drive. They're usually left 80% finished.

It's really strange that you post about this now, because just last night I was recreating something like this on a CMCW map Rumpenheim Rumpus. I barely finished placing the engineering assets down. I was trying to find a nice wide river instead of something small like the Siverskyi-Donets.

Sorry if there's any disappointment, I should flesh this out. I usually jump back and fourth between games when my interest is there to create stuff - mainly from the TOE's I've created.

On 2/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, Artkin said:

What the hell someone's playing one of my scenarios? Two people. Well that sure is flattering. Glad to hear!

I apparently did not write down the reinforcement timings so I'll do that now. I don't remember why, but probably so I didn't spoil things for either side if played pbem considering there are no AI plans. I now realize that I never adjusted the BLU's veterancy, considering they were there on this scenario originally. All I did was replace the Russian side, adding my own flavor to this preexisting scenario. Oops. Additionally I did not really intend for this to be played PBEM in the first place, apparently. Now that I'm reviewing this, the BLU side is crazy strong compared to the Red. The better player must take red and know their chances of success are very, very low.

I really intended for this to be a showcase scenario of how to employ brigade level assets. Any fighting done is a bonus. This is definitely different than most scenarios as it opens up potential for simulation of real world forces and tactics in a way.

Sorry about that. It sort of disappoints me that I released this in it's state. I was probably just happy to post it. I really just wanted to show off the Brigade I created (it's in the thread posted below. You can play with it and make your own scenarios with it too). If you want a really good historical CMBS scenario to play, I highly recommend the Hostomel Airport map which was released somewhat recently. There are 2 on these forums. I recommend both, but the newer one is more up to date and is larger.

I will post the BLU first, and then the RED. So ignore your opponents side as to not spoil things.

BLUFOR REINFORCEMENTS:

20 minutes: 2nd platoon of 1st motorized rifle company + 2 drones

25 minutes: 4th platoon (Weapons) of 1st motorized rifle company

30 minutes: 3rd platoon of 1st motorized rifle company

30 minutes (+ or - 5 minutes): 6x 152mm guns + battalion mortars (6x 120mm Mortar)

30 minutes (+ or - 10 minutes): 3rd motorized rifle company + 6x 122mm guns

40 minutes: 1st platoon of 1st motorized rifle company + HQ

60 minutes: Battalion HQ

REDFOR REINFORCEMENTS:

15 minutes: Bridging platoon

40 minutes: Advance guard (1 MBT platoon, 1 mechanized rifle company (MTLB), ATGM platoon, Mortar battery).

50 minutes: Battalion HQ + battalion signal platoon

The briefing is in this thread here:

I usually don't go the extra mile to add briefings to my scenarios, I just create them schizophrenically and leave them to rot on my hard drive. They're usually left 80% finished.

It's really strange that you post about this now, because just last night I was recreating something like this on a CMCW map Rumpenheim Rumpus. I barely finished placing the engineering assets down. I was trying to find a nice wide river instead of something small like the Siverskyi-Donets.

Sorry if there's any disappointment, I should flesh this out. I usually jump back and fourth between games when my interest is there to create stuff - mainly from the TOE's I've created.

Nice! I'm super glad to have gotten a response!

Since adding the briefings to the scenarios honestly seems pretty trivial, shall I go ahead and copy-paste them? Or will you?

12 minutes ago, Mechasaurian said:

Nice! I'm super glad to have gotten a response!

Since adding the briefings to the scenarios honestly seems pretty trivial, shall I go ahead and copy-paste them? Or will you?

Of course, I'm just a small fry in this part of the internet. :D

Feel free to do whatever you'd like with the scenario, at this point I've moved on entirely and I don't see myself spending the time to revisit it.

If you would like I've sort of completed another, larger version of that concept. I'm not sure how it will play out just yet but I think both sides will be struggling.

The only rule is not to cross the river with tanks until the bridge is fully built. I WILL be adding a briefing to this one with more of an explanation of how things work. I might add more stuff to it too, not sure yet. Feel free to preview or try it out if you want something more PBEM friendly and less of an experiment. It's a Ukrainian pincer attack on a town while the Russians rush to reinforce it by laying a bridge. Gamey concept but makes for an interesting twist:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpin2s49dcadxyp/Rumpenheim Rumpus Bridgelaying.btt?dl=0

Edited by Artkin

19 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Of course, I'm just a small fry in this part of the internet. :D

Feel free to do whatever you'd like with the scenario, at this point I've moved on entirely and I don't see myself spending the time to revisit it.

If you would like I've sort of completed another, larger version of that concept. I'm not sure how it will play out just yet but I think both sides will be struggling.

The only rule is not to cross the river with tanks until the bridge is fully built. I WILL be adding a briefing to this one with more of an explanation of how things work. I might add more stuff to it too, not sure yet. Feel free to preview or try it out if you want something more PBEM friendly and less of an experiment. It's a Ukrainian pincer attack on a town while the Russians rush to reinforce it by laying a bridge. Gamey concept but makes for an interesting twist:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpin2s49dcadxyp/Rumpenheim Rumpus Bridgelaying.btt?dl=0

Ooh, a Black Sea version of Rumpenheim? Definitely interested.

I gotta ask, though - does this come with a mission briefing?

Also, could I please have the reinforcement timeline/schedules for your first MRB scenario (the one you made before the rive crossing one), so I can add it to the briefing?

4 minutes ago, Mechasaurian said:

Ooh, a Black Sea version of Rumpenheim? Definitely interested.

I gotta ask, though - does this come with a mission briefing?

Also, could I please have the reinforcement timeline/schedules for your first MRB scenario (the one you made before the rive crossing one), so I can add it to the briefing?

No briefing yet (I will add one eventually when I officially release it) for the Rumpus scenario but yes it is for CMBS 👍

Sure but I admit that scenario kind of sucks. I was just excited to push out my work in a somewhat practical setting.

These are also viewable in the editor, under the units -> reinforcements section

Blufor:

@5 minutes

1x Dismounted Company (-), Weapons Platoon (-), Javelin Team

2x Recon Squads + HQ + BTR-70, BRDM-1

1x AT-4C

1x Recoilless Rifle

1x AGL Team + BTR-70

1x HQ team, forward observer, 1x 120mm mortar battery (6x guns)

1x 155mm M777 off-map artillery platoon (3x guns)

3x batteries of BM-21 grad (Misnamed BM-13, used 100mm rapira in place, 18x guns)

2x batteries of 122mm 2S1 Gvozdika (12x guns)

Redfor

@5 minutes

1x Motor Rifle platoon, 1x T-72

2x 152mm 2S19M2 Mtsa platoons (6x guns)

2x Mi-24PN Hind

@ 10 minutes

@ 15 minutes

@ 20 minutes

1st Artillery Battalion Commander + Headquarters Platoon, 1st Battery staff

@ 30 minutes