Many deceptions: Scenarios, operations; designers.

Hi,

This is some of my thoughts after few weeks of CMBB:

-The lack of huge designed maps/operations is a major frustration. I do understand that this game now went through two decades; but still I can't believe why there is so few. 

By that, I mean: The game can produces so much. But even, with a still active community; then so rare are the designed one. Of course, at the time, I believe computers where having some hard times running huge maps with 15.000, 20.000 points or more...But this game somehow, kept this community alive. Or at least few veterans, then seconded by another wave of designers who came with brights ideas and produced later contents of obvious high quality.

When this second wave came, machines where more performant. It was easier and lot cheaper to have a home set-up able to push the game in the limits it can't reach few years ago. If during the early 2000's; a professional uses of computer and a recreational one was thin in terms of graphic card, RAM, Core...Then by 2005, 2007, 2008; many passionate people invested in better machines. Many of CMBB community were still here.

So I don't put CMBB in the category of "came to soon". It's hard to say, but I tend to put it in the "Never reached full potential" category.

-I take for a fact; that board wargame, turn by turn, strategy communities have most of the times clever communities. Educated people. Mature players and passionate minds. The years and years of debates on this forum can testify of this point. Then it's no excuses to have so few scenarios/operations in the atmosphere I am looking for.

-So far, I've explored the works of Georges McEwan. Some on his own. Some signed with Charlie Meconis. This is what I'm talking about. This is what I'm looking for and what CMBB should have been much more.

>Huge maps. Well designed. Massive order of battle. Finest briefings. And even extras documents as PDF, pictures, books to purchase. 

>By huge maps; I mean properly huge maps. Using the full capacities of the game. By doing area like 3km x 4k. "In order to make it more playable, we have reduced the scale to 50%".

This is exactly what I mean. Still nowadays, CMBB at full capacity have few rivals. Rare are the games offering a capacity of a whole area to deploy. Offering so many units with accurate technicals informations. If reunited; then Bäke, Strachwitz and Peiper are 3 different shells fired from the same Flak 88...WHERE ARE THE OTHERS FLAK?

-Most briefings are poor. 5 or 6 pages when the first one is only weather informations, location and ground; all informations I can see for myself in a minute. Then, another two for OOB. Which is nice most of the time. But I don't care much because I tend to write down on a paper all of my units. Then turns by turns, circled passed units and losses; so instantly I can have a quick overall view of my percentage remaining on field.

-Well the field...so few points here.

>This old topic really depressed me. 

Of course. I understand every people have activities, personal calendar and many other things interfering with CMBB which can be a very time eater. But please...

I would much prefer play a very few turns a day, or 6,8, 10 a week. Rather than play 20, 25 or 30 in a row. Just to conduct the battle to conclusion; and then being able to put baby Jason in bath and watch is poo-poo right on time. Then laid Caroline after dinner, and finish with my beauty sleep for a new day of studying or boring work.

-Please, don't be too harsh on me. Or at least, not as harsh as I am. Most of my thoughts are just big deception. Because this game seems a true goldmine not even explored by twenty percents to my humble opinion...

Also, I know how internet and forums sometimes can be an unpredictable and rich source of knowledge; it also can be a place full or arrogance and well kept secrets.

> What I'm asking for is only a bit of your experiences. And a small share of scenarios/operations in the vein of what I'm looking for. So any reply or private message will be taken with many gratitude.

-Don't ask me to do it myself. I've been engaged in others projects. Being myself a second waver of a 1998/1999 game. I did my contributions on my time.

-I'm grateful for mods. They are impressive. Also for every list such as the "comprehensive list", green as jade, Philippe, DenHost, free maps. Sites as The scenario depot & The Blitz.

-Thanks for your sharing, debates and theoretical views. This website is marble.

alright,

I agree that there are still a lot of things that could be done with CMx1.  I would like to see bigger maps with more-realistic terrain (like in Graviteam Tactics).  Personally I'm not as interested in the moment in bigger battles (in terms of points) because I find it to be too much work to micromanage all my troops.

Any contents close or similar in any way to this short list are welcome:

-Bäke / Strachwitz / Peiper : By Georges McEwan & Charlie Meconis. Epic series, each beautifully linked together and richly documented.

-Vatutin's Christmas Presents: By Olli "the Kraut" Thiel. A 72.000 points, 8 battles operation. Meant only for 2P. Unfortunately, the only piece from this author.

-Works from Sergei; covering the Finnish continuation war. Many operations, historical and huge designed maps. Lot of points.

-Les Hérétiques: By Sturmowik.

this is only what I know so far; during the short period I spend on this game.

Since I launched some others sce/ope ; but didn't went further the briefing - in order to keep them for later as very promising, this is where my list stops.