Practical differences between area fire and target firing

When I target a unit inside a building, it makes sense that this is a sort of aimed shot at the ENY standing at the window, and should therefore have a greater chance of hitting someone than area fire. In my head, area fire is spraying the building, or windows, indiscriminately. 

Is this accurate and does anyone have any detail on the calculation of how much more likely aimed fire rather than area fire is to hit/cause casualties?

Thanks

Area fire goes all over the action spot. Targeted fire will only happen when they can physically see someone to shoot at, and they will stop firing when they cower out of sight.

In all things there's a degree of wiggle room and variance, and if they spot something whilst area firing they might target it, but that's essentially the distinction.

Worth noting that with any targeted fire you're telling them to open up with everything (if you let them find their own targets they'll be more conservative), so inevitably area fire will consume ammo faster, since they're opening up, and won't lose sight of the target.

Quick testing: in both cases the windows and doors are targeted for modular buildings.

Interestingly for area targeting the house: the btr I used fired at window 1, then door 1, then two more windows. And it switched back and fourth between all four of these over the course of the minute.

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-12.png

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-15.png

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-18.png

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-35.png

Edited by Artkin

10 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Quick testing: in both cases the windows and doors are targeted for modular buildings.

Interestingly for area targeting the house: the btr I used fired at window 1, then door 1, then two more windows. And it switched back and fourth between all four of these over the course of the minute.

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-12.png

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-15.png

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-18.png

CM-Black-Sea-2022-05-16-14-36-35.png

Thanks - very interesting

47 minutes ago, domfluff said:

Area fire goes all over the action spot. Targeted fire will only happen when they can physically see someone to shoot at, and they will stop firing when they cower out of sight.

In all things there's a degree of wiggle room and variance, and if they spot something whilst area firing they might target it, but that's essentially the distinction.

Worth noting that with any targeted fire you're telling them to open up with everything (if you let them find their own targets they'll be more conservative), so inevitably area fire will consume ammo faster, since they're opening up, and won't lose sight of the target.

I didn't realise targeted fire was essentially a command to increase and focus ROF. Thank you. Does it also get friendlies to stand up when pinned more often?

20 hours ago, Artkin said:

Could you explain this a bit more for me Artkin? Not sure I get what you did to allow this gunner to move around the spots like that.

9 hours ago, KGBoy said:

Could you explain this a bit more for me Artkin? Not sure I get what you did to allow this gunner to move around the spots like that.

I think you do it with the move tool. Plot three waypoints and order a 15 sec fire order from each waypoint. 

On 5/17/2022 at 2:37 AM, Artkin said:

Just be aware than bullets will go through walls if they are of high enough calibre so some of the tracers inside the building may have been from that. Just noticed you are resting with a vehicle so thought I'd mention.

1 minute ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Just be aware than bullets will go through walls if they are of high enough calibre so some of the tracers inside the building may have been from that. Just noticed you are resting with a vehicle so thought I'd mention.

True, but either way the btr made the effort to target the building in 4 locations where there were 4 things. 

I wasnt looking at tracers, but at where the impact points were. 

@KGBoy the btr engaged the windowd and doors, not the walls. It targetted 1 window, then the next, then the next, then it targetted the door.