Combat Mission - Video Production

I am hoping to start a new thread here on the subject of creating videos about anything related to combat mission; AARs, map creation, scenario creation, modding, etc.  A number of our fellow gamers have already created numerous excellent videos and posted these on YouTube. I am in the process of trying to learn 'how to' myself and am hoping that this thread will attract the wisdom and advice of veteran producers as well as neophytes like myself who would like to learn - and not spend too much money at it.

My first work-in-progress is an after action report (AAR) of my Bloody Buron Overhaul scenario. I played through the whole S.P. scenario saving (almost) all of the one-minute turns. From these I am capturing various scenes using FRAPS (registered), then converting them to .mp4 format using Win10's inherent Video Converter and then editing and assembling in Win10's inherent Video Editor. The result is not bad for a first time. By the way, Win10's Video Editor has to be called by searching on its name in the search box at the bottom left of the screen. Once you locate it you can place an icon on the  desktop.

My software and settings at this time:

CMBN Settings: Everything at maximum, VSync on, Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080

Video Capture; Fraps - 30 fps, Full-size, Force lossless RGB capture, Record Win10 sound, Hide mouse cursor in video (sometimes not), format AVI (cannot change).

Video Converter: Win10 Video Converter - Video format MP4, Frame rate 30 FPS, Keep  Keep aspect ratio, Constant quality (slider bar all the way left), 2-Pass Encoding, HQ 1080p30

Divinci Resolve is a free and pretty good for movie making. Takes some getting used too, though.

If you could somehow <cough> find an old non-subscription-based version of Adobe Premier Elements and then prevent it from trying to update, that would work well too, since those programs were (in my opinion) the perfect balance of power vs. ease of use.

Excellent topic, btw! I look forward to the better advice that those here more experienced in movie making will surely soon be giving.

Edited by sttp

3 minutes ago, WimO said:

I have found and d/l OBS. It looks awesome and comprehensive ... and a challenging learning curve.

It's fairly straightforward actually. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and on the OBS forums. Same for Shotcut.

With OBS make sure you're capturing the application, not the desktop window.

Edited by Grey_Fox

So far the production of my first video is making positive progress; have condensed 40 minutes of game play down to 25 video minutes consisting of many cut scenes. Still need to process another 60 minutes of game play. Once it is all done I will have two more problems to solve: 1. What software will allow me to add a voice over commentary post-processing? and 2. What software will allow me to 'draw' arrows and such over the video to illustrate my game plan?

1 hour ago, WimO said:

So far the production of my first video is making positive progress; have condensed 40 minutes of game play down to 25 video minutes consisting of many cut scenes. Still need to process another 60 minutes of game play. Once it is all done I will have two more problems to solve: 1. What software will allow me to add a voice over commentary post-processing? and 2. What software will allow me to 'draw' arrows and such over the video to illustrate my game plan?

You can add voice over using Shotcut.

For graphics, you create them in something like paint, then add it as an overlay using Shotcut.

Edited by Grey_Fox

• 4 weeks later...