Drawing streets

From my experience you are stuck with your choices in the map editor. @Falaise did a 22.5 degree road mod but it impacts you for the other angles I think.

You should do a forum search for posts by stock scenario writer @George MC and you can see his advice where you often must adjust source map north (rotate your overlay cw or ccw) a bit to try and have the map editor offerings 0/45/90 hit a "sweet spot" for your CM map to avoid zig-zag roads.

Happy Mapping!

Compass directions don't really have an affect on gameplay (besides wind direction). So if you rotate your reference map 5, 10, 15 degrees (or whatever) to get most of the roads running at 0/45/90 that'll greatly facilitate map making and nobody will notice.

I think MikeyD has a point.  🙂

I did the same thing on a map I'm working on. Rotated the underlying real-world an arbitrary number of degrees until the majority of the roads were more or less 0, 45, or 90 (ish) degrees, then some later "road sculpting" to minimize the zig-zags.

Later put some artificial terrain in place that make your road turns logical.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2022 at 2:10 PM, MikeyD said:

Compass directions don't really have an affect on gameplay (besides wind direction). So if you rotate your reference map 5, 10, 15 degrees (or whatever) to get most of the roads running at 0/45/90 that'll greatly facilitate map making and nobody will notice.

Maybe ... If you are making a dawn attack facing east or a dusk attack facing west, then does the program factor in the 'sun in your eyes'? If not, then truly map direction does not matter (much). I have also realigned maps to get a best possible fit for CMBN's constrained roads.