American Heritage Museum

4hpAFBj.jpg

"The last Buick off the line"

I'm glad they do a feature about the work of American factories during the war, but they don't put much information behind it showing how truly remarkable it really was. After WW1 there was a very quiet movement by the federal government to catalog and quantify the production capacity and capability of pretty much every factory in the entire country, so when it came time to convert to war production they could do so very quickly, and allocate production tasks to those most capable of carrying them out.

The more I study it the more impressed I get. Most other countries had to make major sacrifices to get their production to meet their needs, but the USA outproduced everyone without breaking much of a sweat.

jvhzI3G.jpg

They have the floor divided into themed areas with a bit of information on placards and stuff, but there's not a whole lot to go on.

That guy was giving a tour to some news people who were doing a feature or something. He knew his stuff, and I found out later he's one of the guys who does maintenance work on the vehicles here.

9VaXsnG.jpg

That is an actual SCUD missile. I got some close ups when I was shooting video.

It's funny because all the internal markings are in Cyrillic, and it was in Iraqi service. I wonder if they had to teach all the guys to read Cyrillic, or if they just gave them translated operating manuals.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2022 at 9:41 AM, Vacillator said:

Thanks for the nice pics and ermm extensive videos 👍.  Haven't been there before, but I do hang around at the Bovington Tank Museum (Dorset, UK) on a fairly regular basis, taking in the sights and the smells.  If you're ever in the area I highly recommend it.

It's on my bucket list.