Getting CM to Run on Linux

Hi all,

I am trying to get CMBS to run on Manjaro but keep getting the openGL error. There does seem to be a solution which requires patching the Steam/Proton thing by adding this. I've tried following these instructions, but screwed up somehow and it didn't work and was wondering if there were any other Linux users here who have had some success getting the game to run, or if there is anyone who can help me make a custom Proton for the CM games. If we can get it going, we can probably put it on git hub or wherever for others, as a search does seem to show some interest for CM on Linux.

Aside from this, now that the games are going up on Steam, is there perhaps a way to nudge steam into fixing it for us?

Thanks,

A

• 1 month later...

Just commenting in the hope it will bring some attention to this. I have been trying to figure out how to compile a patch for Wine for several months now (off and on, I'm sure if I had been consistently working on it that whole time I would have gotten it by now). I am running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. There seem to be a number of complications just with compiling Wine source code. On top of that I have no idea where the patch file should be placed.

I tried walking through the instructions you posted, but those seem to be for a different distro. I'll probably try taking another crack at it this weekend. If I make a breakthrough I'll be sure to post how I did it, but those instructions will probably only be any good to people who are also running a Debian derivative.

A patch file is not placed, it is applied to the source code via patch(1). Such as

cd sourceocde
patch -p1 < patchfile

The entertaining issue when compiling Wine these days is that you need a 32 bit version. If your main OS is 64 bits then you need to install all the stuff required to compile Wine as 32 bit versions on the 64 bit OS. It will be much more straightforward to use a 32 bit install of Linux to then compile a custom Wine. Maybe you have a spare laptop or something.

1 hour ago, Andriko said:

Someone managed to do it for me, see here. Works perfectly now! I think the dropbox download is still available.

I also failed to work out how to patch it myself, which is a shame as I think this would probably be helpful for other games too.

That worked! I just loaded up CMCW and everything works! Not flawlessly, since the UI is really tiny (I assume that's related to me having a 4k monitor), but nothing I can't deal with.

Any chance of getting this thrown up on thefewgoodmen? I assume someone would need to get whizse's permission. But it probably isn't too much of a stretch to count this as a mod, and I'm sure other Linux users will have a much easier time finding it that way.

Whizse should definatley be credited at the very least, but I think getting this uploaded somewhere for everyone is a great idea. I wouldn't know how to go about this, however (not a memeber at a Few Good Men).

It would certainly be great for this to be easily found!

@Bootie I vaguely recall you're the person to contact about getting mods uploaded. Any chance of getting this uploaded? I believe credit goes to Alexander Puzankov on the WineHQ forum for writing the patch, and to whizse on the GamingOnLinux forum for compiling it into a working custom Proton build and uploading it to his dropbox. I have the dropbox link, but I'm not sure if you need Alexander Puzankov and/or whizse's permission first?

• 1 month later...