Battlefront has now officially ran out of fictional wars to portray

After Shock Force 2 we had the Syrian civil war  and after Black Sea we now have Russia - Ukraine war.

This means that as of now all Combat Mission games are historical one way or another.

Should Battlefront start making potential fiction wargames in the future? Should they stop making fictional wargames?

What's next for Battlefront? 

49 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

After Shock Force 2 we had the Syrian civil war  and after Black Sea we now have Russia - Ukraine war.

This means that as of now all Combat Mission games are historical one way or another.

Should Battlefront start making potential fiction wargames in the future? Should they stop making fictional wargames?

What's next for Battlefront? 

Combat Mission WW3 Europe 2025

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, sgt.longbow said:

how about combat mission korea? plenty of un tapped material there.

Something set in 1966-1969 has a lot of promise I feel, North Korea was doing a lot of agitating and cross border raids and America was preoccupied in Vietnam. Add in a little alternate history with the Blue House Raid killing President Park Chung-hee, or even it failing and triggering a South Korean attack against North Korea without American help initially.

• 3 weeks later...

bit of a silly topic really, altho interesting discussion.. there's always other area's / theatres, etc via ww2, could do Korea, or vietnam. Korea rarely see's games within its theatre, so that would be more interesting to me than vietnam..

but they could also venture to more unconventional stuff like sci fi or something...

thing that is certain is I wouldn't count them as finished by any means. 

1 hour ago, Bubba883XL said:

bit of a silly topic really, altho interesting discussion.. there's always other area's / theatres, etc via ww2, could do Korea, or vietnam. Korea rarely see's games within its theatre, so that would be more interesting to me than vietnam..

but they could also venture to more unconventional stuff like sci fi or something...

thing that is certain is I wouldn't count them as finished by any means. 

What's wrong with the war we've already got ... in terms of scenarios, campaigns and stuff - this is being reported in enough detail for any budding scenario maker to make a whole bunch of stuff or contemplate what-ifs and alternate scenarios with CMBS.  If Battlefront makes Korea or whatever - you're only going to see it through a less detailed prism than what you're getting now - all those iterations of Barkmann's corner or Wittman knocking over 7 Armd Bde in WW2 are all interpretations by a scenario designer of information with far less granularity than what's available now.  If you're truly interested in warfare, wargaming and/or simulating warfare then hoover up what you're seeing now, buy CMBS and hook into it.  It has been interesting to note from recent events that maybe 'T-72 spotting is nerfed' and 'Troops running from hard cover is unrealistic' have been proved to be fallacies due to the coverage that is emerging from the tragic events in Ukraine.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, KGBoy said:

The obvious: China. But what scenario?

China and South China Sea. Combat Mission South China Sea. Start with Taiwan, USMC, and China. Then for modules add US Army, US Airborne, Vietnam, Philippines, Brits, Japanese, etc. The base campaign is a fight for Taiwan directly, other campaigns could be fights over some of the island chains or a border war between Vietnam and China. 

Alternative, if BFC is a little gun shy now about the 'ripped from the headlines' invasion, CM Korea. US Army, SK, NK, China in the base game. Modern rerun of the 1950s invasion ala Red Phoenix. Add on modules could be USMC, Brits, Cannucks, Japanese, Russians. BUT! Because BFC probably cant support two Korea games, a module pack could add 1st Korean war vintage hardware and period uniforms. Basically it should just be US vs. USSR equipment from the later era WWII games, with a little extra thrown in. Plus battlepacks could include other hypothetical conflicts and skirmishes. A China/NK/Russia red-on-red campaign for Vladivostok, or the China-Russia border wars, or a red&blue-on-red 'what if NK imploded' campaign. Lots of possibilities for future development. I would buy it.  

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

No don't start with Taiwan ... go and look at the geography and think about why Battlefront hasn't touched it.  I say again there's plenty of stuff to mine in the current conflict in Ukraine.

I would guess that it will be added to CMBS. But given BFG's buisness model they will probably not turn CMBS into the 'modern peer-to-peer' game. So if we want to see TOEs, equipment, situations outside the potential hotspot it would probably come as a full game entry. 

I mean I'm all for adding more Ukraine 2022 content to BS, both in terms of official content and user made scenarios. I would also like to see stuff thats a little further afield and different than that. Currently the only content out there for CM set in Asia is Heaven and Earth, and thats alt history! Personally I think its an untapped direction, whether its CM1st Korea, CM2nd Korea, CMBouganville, or whatever. Not sure it needs to be an either/or thing here. 

On 4/21/2022 at 6:51 PM, Combatintman said:

What's wrong with the war we've already got ... in terms of scenarios, campaigns and stuff - this is being reported in enough detail for any budding scenario maker to make a whole bunch of stuff or contemplate what-ifs and alternate scenarios with CMBS.  If Battlefront makes Korea or whatever - you're only going to see it through a less detailed prism than what you're getting now - all those iterations of Barkmann's corner or Wittman knocking over 7 Armd Bde in WW2 are all interpretations by a scenario designer of information with far less granularity than what's available now.  If you're truly interested in warfare, wargaming and/or simulating warfare then hoover up what you're seeing now, buy CMBS and hook into it.  It has been interesting to note from recent events that maybe 'T-72 spotting is nerfed' and 'Troops running from hard cover is unrealistic' have been proved to be fallacies due to the coverage that is emerging from the tragic events in Ukraine.

nothing wrong at all, im happy with the status quo, just adding my 2cents.