CMBN won't start / process gets terminated.

prsxr

I've had CMBN running on my Win 10 (RX 570 GPU) machine for over a year.  Today it hanged while loading a saved game, and briefly flashed an error box as it crashed to desktop.  I think I caught something about running out of GPU memory. 

Since that time, I've been unable to get CMBN to start.  I can watch the process appear on task manager and increase to about 3.7GB memory usage before the process is terminated.   No splash screen ever appears. 

Restarting the machine didn't help, nor did uninstall/reinstall CMBN.   Interestingly, the CMBN demo will load and play without any problems.   

Any thoughts about what to try?

Have you recently updated the video driver for your RX 570 GPU ? Supposedly the latest drivers work which would be 22.2.2. Users have reported that 21.12.1 has worked for them, but if not you can try the 21.8.2 WHQL drivers (for Windows 10 64-bit). Some users have reported that the 21.8.2 drivers still had out-of-memory problems that appeared to be addressed with the 21.12.1 drivers.

So you can try downloading the 22.2.2 drivers and uninstalling your current ones (make sure to reboot after the new drivers are installed). If the game still doesn't work, then you can perform an installation of the 21.12.1 drivers (with an uninstallation of the current drivers first) and finally you can install the 21.8.2 drivers if those don't work (again, with an uninstallation of the current drivers beforehand).

12 hours ago, prsxr said:

I've had CMBN running on my Win 10 (RX 570 GPU) machine for over a year.  Today it hanged while loading a saved game, and briefly flashed an error box as it crashed to desktop.  I think I caught something about running out of GPU memory. 

Since that time, I've been unable to get CMBN to start.  I can watch the process appear on task manager and increase to about 3.7GB memory usage before the process is terminated.   No splash screen ever appears. 

Restarting the machine didn't help, nor did uninstall/reinstall CMBN.   Interestingly, the CMBN demo will load and play without any problems.   

Any thoughts about what to try?

Try wiggling your audio, e.g. plugging in some headphones.

Thanks for the suggestions, but no improvement yet. 

I've tried drivers 22.2.2 and 21.8.2 with no effect.  I've also plugged in headphones instead of my ususal USB speakers, and disable the sound driver.  The demo continues to run properly.

Possibly got a similar problem.  CM (SF, CW, FI, BS) been working fine until about a week ago, now can't load scenarios - hangs, and ultimately gives an error message about out of graphics memory... happening across Steam/not-Steam.

Don't think I've made changes to them (some mods, but not across all).

Tried updating drivers.

Will submit more information as I experiment.

(Running with Radeon RX 580, 8Gb... again, fine until about a week ago)

In my opinion the 'out of graphics memory' error is most likely an issue with the video driver. Which particular Radeon driver are you using ? I had been under the impression that the latest ones worked. I'm also not aware of any Windows Update that would cause this problem either.

If necessary, you may need to use an utility such as Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) (download links are towards the bottom). I highly suggest reading the text on this download page or looking at YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with how this works. Before running the tool, download the various drivers (full downloads, often a few hundred megabytes in size) you want to try beforehand. One of the suggestions is running the utility while you're disconnected from the Internet so that Windows doesn't attempt to install a replacement driver for you. You will also want to run this tool in SafeMode; here are the methods to access SafeMode from Microsoft (you need to open the drop-downs for each particular spot you can perform this from). Video driver installations probably won't work in SafeMode, so you'll need to reboot in order to install the particular video driver (but you may want to remain disconnected from the internet until you've finished installing the driver).

Thanks - I was on a Radeon driver 21.10.2, and have reverted back to 21.10.1 .  Haven't had a chance to test it properly yet, but initial signs are promising (managed to load some Black Sea scenarios though not all).

Will update as I test more.

Thanks again