Editor help

Bubba883XL

Hi all...

Unsure if i asked for this sort of thing but what are folks using in terms of programs to do the briefing templates? was it photoshop or something? is there any free or trial software that folk are using? i got the jist of adding photos etc, and selecting the correct resolution etc and naming them. the brief text is straight forward. its just the details of making the little maps for reference...

cheers in advance.

Bubba

I can't find previous similar posts I've made on the various threads of this nature over the years but every time somebody mentions this I say something along the lines of - forget pi$$ing about in Photoshop or anything like that.  PowerPoint and Paint do it for me - see below for examples of graphics produced using this method across three CM game titles:

87878748_MagbeniOp.jpg.6985d903a571a93263dfba32aa5aaa9b.jpg

501608833_ScenarioDepotImage.thumb.jpg.68249e54517ea469ef87f2c436b6ca90.jpg

1165309075_BlueOperationalMap.jpg.e5046680f121d997f103a1c7efc6e9d1.jpg

193181713_StrategicMap.jpg.2861da0a62a50c485c57c78628d0a112.jpg

1716534737_OpeningEncounterBlueOpMap.jpg.3edf1f7922f9fdc6c8c86000f5e12ae7.jpg

1418535291_OpeningEncounterBlueTacMap.jpg.d92d0e611de0181c19f1e02c5a525d47.jpg

54 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

I can't find previous similar posts I've made on the various threads of this nature over the years but every time somebody mentions this I say something along the lines of - forget pi$$ing about in Photoshop or anything like that.  PowerPoint and Paint do it for me - see below for examples of graphics produced using this method across three CM game titles:

I agree with this. Unless you personally feel that you neccesarely have to use the stock templates for briefing graphics...Forgett about it ! nobody else cares if you are using your own graphics in the briefing maps, pictures etc...

As long as they provide the neccesary information.

Personally i have never used anything other then windows paint when designing these map...Never had a complaint so far...

show and tell day? 😄

This is a 208m x 208m battle that is 15 minutes long. 25 troops US Army as AI delaying force. vs double that Wehrmacht human player.

I always try to make 1 page briefings. TacMap done in freeware paint.NET.

RapidoTacMapStreetBattle_zpsb4d1fab7.png

one more...also 208 x 208, 20 minutes

It is being written by a college student as his first scenario. "Morning Patrol" will have elements of the 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards scouting ahead on a road to see if any Germans occupy "De Luca's farmhouse"...

OrtonaTacMapMorningPatrol_zpsccb72419.jp

This is the TacMap for "Toehold". The Canadians have crossed the "Torrente Moro" and taken up positions in San Leonardo.

The 26th Panzer Division has something to say about that.

Prior to this battle will be a player coin toss for you to determine if you will fight either the heads or tails version... 

OrtonaTacMapToehold_zpsc5641442.png

Edited by kohlenklau

ok, wow.... i will have to look up some tutorials on paint.net etc....

one thing about the pictures etc for briefing, they don't describe like, which picture go's where on the briefing screen? and when you do upload and it seems to default to 2 x 2 pixels? i guess thats when it fails?? using the windows default to resize and change file stats to bmp. 

and the text briefing, simple enough, just text file...but do you have to copy the format which is show while in the editor? 

they could've helped bit more with showing the layouts etc. 

bubba

Get paint.net and I can share with you (if you want) my old paint.net files that have some ideas ON SEPARATE LAYERS you can judge if worthy for you.

paint.net = paint dot net = pdn

What I do is create a new pdn file and START WITH the desired pixel dimensions from the gitgo. Save as your "makes sense" filename. OPMAP FEB24.pdn. Save in a useful easy to find folder for using again and again as needed.

Welcome to the club

On 2/24/2022 at 3:17 PM, kohlenklau said:

Get paint.net and I can share with you (if you want) my old paint.net files that have some ideas ON SEPARATE LAYERS you can judge if worthy for you.

paint.net = paint dot net = pdn

What I do is create a new pdn file and START WITH the desired pixel dimensions from the gitgo. Save as your "makes sense" filename. OPMAP FEB24.pdn. Save in a useful easy to find folder for using again and again as needed.

Welcome to the club

that would be great. i have a long weekend coming up so will have time to commit to it