Asteroids!

TBH I couldn't think of a decent topic title, but I found this article rather interesting (and somewhat cheering given the otherwise rather bleak tone of the news right now):

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jan/27/dont-look-up-an-actual-comet-wiping-out-earth-would-be-avertable-scientists-say

PS - The numbers given for destroying an asteroid the size of Ceres are simply staggering.....We'd probably end up with half the world paying Iran, North Korea (& everybody else with a reactor) to speed up their nuclear weapon & missile programmes!  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 1/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH I couldn't think of a decent topic title, but I found this article rather interesting (and somewhat cheering given the otherwise rather bleak tone of the news right now):

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jan/27/dont-look-up-an-actual-comet-wiping-out-earth-would-be-avertable-scientists-say

PS - The numbers given for destroying an asteroid the size of Ceres are simply staggering.....We'd probably end up with half the world paying Iran, North Korea (& everybody else with a reactor) to speed up their nuclear weapon & missile programmes!  :D

Yep, I read that in a magazine, too. Sounds pretty optimistic to me and like somebody just wanted to release a new paper for his reference list.

All ideas not essentially wrong, but given his 6 month time frame not very realistic ideas either. Unless anybody intends to start building „anti asteroid missiles“ and impenetrable deep sea bunkers tomorrow. Which I strongly doubt.