Out of memory Crash to desktop

Kraft

Hello, I get this error message when I launch any mission above tiny

1919137011_CMmemissue.PNG.0b8ec2b2cb78047024a7cad622b6dd26.png.a78342efa70c3df42d457bb97cb0dbd9.png

I have 8GB of Vram and 16GB of Ram, both of which are no where near used up as can be seen in the screenshot.

I have reinstalled the game several times, checked integrity of the files (through steam) and I have NO mods installed and I put everything on lowest settings (used to run on high)

What is going on here? The game used to run fine even when I loaded up master maps or the Huge missions. I dont know if there was an update that caused this. Anyone got any idea what causes this and how I can fix it?

I see that you're using a Radeon RX 480. If you're using a fairly recent video driver, then you may want to DOWNGRADE to an older one. I believe the 21.8.2 WHQL drivers (for Windows 10 64-bit) should work. I don't know if this is the actual cause of your 'Out of Memory' error, but there were problems with the Radeon drivers in the recent past and I don't know if they were fully rectified yet or not.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:25 PM, Schrullenhaft said:

I see that you're using a Radeon RX 480. If you're using a fairly recent video driver, then you may want to DOWNGRADE to an older one. I believe the 21.8.2 WHQL drivers (for Windows 10 64-bit) should work. I don't know if this is the actual cause of your 'Out of Memory' error, but there were problems with the Radeon drivers in the recent past and I don't know if they were fully rectified yet or not.

You are correct. I had a Help Desk ticket and a beta tester see this and what you are saying is what got them up and running again. They both rolled back their drivers and we able to play again. So, @Kraft, I would start by trying that.

I had this problem happen when I installed a full release AMD driver that came-out late last summer or in the fall.  I had to roll back to driver 21.8.2 to get the game mostly working again.  Unfortunately, 21.8.2 also had issues with some scenarios with very large maps that caused "out of memory" crashes.

However, when I installed the 21.12.1 driver that was released in early December the scenarios that crashed under 21.8.2 loaded-up again.   Everything seems to be working fine again with that driver. 

2 hours ago, Myles Keogh said:

I had this problem happen when I installed a full release AMD driver that came-out late last summer or in the fall.  I had to roll back to driver 21.8.2 to get the game mostly working again.  Unfortunately, 21.8.2 also had issues with some scenarios with very large maps that caused "out of memory" crashes.

However, when I installed the 21.12.1 driver that was released in early December the scenarios that crashed under 21.8.2 loaded-up again.   Everything seems to be working fine again with that driver. 

What's the version number of the working driver?

22 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

What's the version number of the working driver?

2 hours ago, Myles Keogh said:

• BFCElvis pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I am playing CMBN Operation LINNET II (a) on a brand new Dell laptop.
Game is set to run on the 2nd adapter (Nvidia Geforce).
No mods installed.

An "out of memory" message pops up while the .ema file is loading.
File size is currently in the 140MB, still going up.

Up until the previous file, I was able to play on a freshly rebooted laptop, it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I would appreciate any suggestion.

Edited by Stimo

Operation LINNET II is one of the largest scenarios created for CM. So there is a significant chance it can push the game to failure at some random points. I would assume that the 'Out of memory' error is likely the game executable itself running out of 'heap or stack memory' or something to that effect rather than the video driver having an out-of-memory problem. Since all of the CM executables are 32-bit code, there will be a limit to the amount of memory the game can access (3 - 4 GB of active RAM).

If your opponent is willing to reissue their orders, you can experiment around to see if issuing a truncated set of orders (assuming that it is this phase in the email exchange) helps with avoiding the crash. If you do manage to continue the game you might still run into this problem again within a few turns. If you're really lucky it might simply be some sort of file corruption, but I can't remember if file corruption will generate a different sort of error on scenario load.

Some other things to try, though they have a very low chance of helping to resolve the problem, within 'Options' (on the main menu page), lower the '3D Model Quality' and '3D Texture Quality' settings. Also reduce or turn off 'antialias/multisample' and turn it off in the Nvidia Control Panel if you have it set there for the game executable or as a 'global' setting. If these settings DO help in getting the scenario to load, then it would suggest that the video driver/settings have a part to play in running out of memory.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

The crash has most probably nothing to do with the video as in the previous turns, the game itself ran smoothly if the critical phase was passed.

I monitored my laptop during this critical phase : CPU is around 4%, GPU 0%, VRAM 20%, and RAM (16GB) peaks to 70% just before the game gives up.

I was about to purchase extra RAM, but it won't solve the problem if I understand you correctly ?

Correct, additional RAM will NOT solve this issue. The game is using 3-4GBs MAX (since it is a 32-bit executable).

The CM series allows for very large battles that can over-extend it's memory management. Few 'hard caps' are in place when it comes to the scenarios and maps that can be made and Op Linnett II probably pushes it too far. Beyond graphical settings and the number of orders and the amount of ensuing action, I'm not sure how to play such scenarios when they reach a tipping point in memory/resource management.

8 hours ago, Stimo said:

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

The crash has most probably nothing to do with the video as in the previous turns, the game itself ran smoothly if the critical phase was passed.

I monitored my laptop during this critical phase : CPU is around 4%, GPU 0%, VRAM 20%, and RAM (16GB) peaks to 70% just before the game gives up.

I was about to purchase extra RAM, but it won't solve the problem if I understand you correctly ?

I've had some success with using the Razer Cortex software to free up memory when playing larger scenarios. https://www.razer.com/sg-en/cortex You'll still have the 4Gb cap but at least you'll know you've maxed that 4Gb!

Have you guys updated your drivers? There was a nvidia driver released last year which crashed my games when I had two running at the same time. I reupdated and it's running like normal again.

i also have an 8gb video card so I was justifiably annoyed.

As for the laptop case, yeah laptop gpus suck. Until they add an inch thick of heatsinks then gaming laptops will continue to be useless. Linnet doesnt push the game to crashing normally, at least for real time. 

As for the 140mb file size, that's approaching the max I've seen CM games take in turn based mode. I've had games which ran ok eventually crash at above 140mb saves.

Edited by Artkin

I'll look into razer in the next few days.

My new Inspiron 16 xplus is still nice and clean and very much updated. I used to play on an upgraded Alienware M17R3. It was the best but I killed it. With a bottle of sparkling wine. I don't want to talk about it. I loved you. I still do. Please forgive me.

My new Inspiron feels the same but looks younger and sexier. She can't take 140mb ema files yet, but she's working on it and I'm patient.

16 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Correct, additional RAM will NOT solve this issue. The game is using 3-4GBs MAX (since it is a 32-bit executable).

The CM series allows for very large battles that can over-extend it's memory management. Few 'hard caps' are in place when it comes to the scenarios and maps that can be made and Op Linnett II probably pushes it too far. Beyond graphical settings and the number of orders and the amount of ensuing action, I'm not sure how to play such scenarios when they reach a tipping point in memory/resource management.

@Schrullenhaft,

will the future Engine 5 be able to fix this problem? I am the opponent of Stimo. On my PC Linnet II (with lot of mods) is stable, runs fine (Dell xps mini-tower, i9, nvidia rtx 3060ti 8gb. ram 48gb).

I haven't finished this scenario yet. Against the AI, I tested the scenario (US side) until the arrival of British armored reinforcements and giving them many movement orders, ie when the number of units is at the maximum. The video is very slightly choppy when observing the movement of fast vehicles.

Edited by laurent 22

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 7:43 PM, Stimo said:

I'll look into razer in the next few days.

My new Inspiron 16 xplus is still nice and clean and very much updated. I used to play on an upgraded Alienware M17R3. It was the best but I killed it. With a bottle of sparkling wine. I don't want to talk about it. I loved you. I still do. Please forgive me.

My new Inspiron feels the same but looks younger and sexier. She can't take 140mb ema files yet, but she's working on it and I'm patient.

I once lost a keyboard to a very nice Scotch. Changed to a "roly-poly" crystal glass *very bottom heavy), and the keyboard and it are far apart. :)