A Once Quiet Town Scenario.

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Jim Das Selvas for taking the time and energy to put this very large if not huge scenario through its trials.  There are two versions.  The one Jim is currently playing and one that is slightly easier, only because it offers another avenue across the river.  You can watch Jim plot and plan the Germans demise here.    

Here is the normal version, https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbheemjzlafev7l/A Once Quiet Town V2.zip?dl=0

Here is the Easier version with another route across the river you will have to find.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq08pc5b9r5hfwl/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.zip?dl=0

Enjoy and again, many thanks to Jim das Selvas for taking the time to put this on YouTube.  I know editing can take a while and Jim has a great style to his videos.  Had to put Jim in my scenario notes he deserves it very much.

Semper Fi.

James.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, Hilts said:

Just downloaded the normal version. Map looks great! Thanks for sharing this.

Your very welcome, thanks for checking it out.  Your feedback is important, so let me know what you think.  I am almost done with the German counterattack using the same map.  The map itself took about 1.5 months (not every day but over 80hours) but some of us scenario creators like making immersive maps.  You will find a ranch, many vinyard farms, small town, olive farms.  A memorial on a slight rise outside of town, and many of the Estates have very park like social settings I think you would find in an Italian Estate.  (looked as much as I could for older pics).  Thanks again for downloading it.  Enjoy!

By the way for all that may just be following this topic.  Here is the share file for the German Counterattack.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3gri5g59vnxjpg/A Once Quiet Town German Counterattack.zip?dl=0     

Enjoy and let me know what you think.  If anyone is having troubles with the scenario let me know.  This scenario is played as German vs AI, or H2H.

I'm really enjoying this scenario and would highly recommend it!

Great map and an interesting mix of units.

Warning - it is challenging. You really need to think about how you approach it and use good tactics, it will punish you if you don't 😬. Or perhaps it was just me 😅

Edited by AlexUK

Yes, on this scale it is very challenging, but I try to make it as accurate as I can.  people complain the AI is soo easy.  LOL Anyhow I am very glad you are enjoying the scenario.  If it was too easy it really would not be that fun.  But challenging always improves one's game, on how to overcome obstacles or in this case tanks, guns and all kinds of goodies.

Best regards,

James.

• 10 months later...

So, it came to my attention some of the HQ units were not showing up.  Here is the fixed version.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/j63gdei96ndnsma/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.btt?dl=0  British 7,9,11 and 12 Companies the HQ was not showing up.

It was strange as everything shows in the editor and on map. However, I think there was an issue when they get deployed, they would randomly not find the transport and because they are the smallest unit, would be left without a seat.  In all of my editing of scenarios and creating content I had never seen this before.  The fix was simple... just add more transports to the unit even though the entire Company was "Lorried"    My guess is it could have something to do with the Bedford TT truck.

Edited by GhostRider3/3

• 2 months later...

Hey, thanks for making the scenario.

I've recently finished a hvh game against Hilts on the easier version of the scenario and I'd like to share a couple of problems I found and some feedback for the German side.

• The briefing was extremly confusing to me. Didn't really know what sort of overall friendly force should I have and what should I recieve as reinforcements later. I think that just adding a list of friendly forces for this scenario would solve this completely. Don't have to know when they'll arrive, just the knowledge of what forces I have would be enough for me to make decisions.
  • The supporting Battalion's mortar company tubes are out of range for most of the map. They can barely reach past the Pass objective. I hope that's not intentional. I'd give them the range to at the very least be able to cover the town objective.
  • The deployment or rather the lack thereof. I suppose the idea is for the german player to just get thrown in and to deal with the situation. I am not a huge fan of that, but I can appreciate it. One thing I'd appeal for is to at least have the ability to reposition foxholes and obstacles.
  • The map itself. I like the look of it and how diverse with terrain it is. I have found it a bit too narrow for the scale of forces ar play. Also there are only a couple of key terrain features that can "lock off" the rest of the map for the enemy. Basically what happened in our game was that we entered this sort of stalemate where neither of us was able to advance anywhere.

Anyway, it's a cool and unique little (quite big actually) scenario. Cheers

On 12/17/2022 at 3:29 AM, GhostRider3/3 said:

A Once Quiet Town Easier V2 is the final product.  Thanks to 'Hilts" a slight issue with the British HQ units has been rectified.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/j63gdei96ndnsma/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.btt?dl=0

Looks like the "final product" is not available anymore, only the January 2022 version…

Is it possible to get it? What shall be played, the "Easier v2" version or the "normal" one?

Edited by PEB14
typ

3 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Looks like the "final product" is not available anymore, only the January 2022 version…

Is it possible to get it? What shall be played, the "Easier v2" version or the "normal" one?

Hello, you can grab any of my scenarios here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp0uuu1nu7o9vtt/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.btt?dl=0   The easier V2 is the most updated and balanced.  It is designed in mind with a major Allied attack across a river in a narrow bit of Italy over the Marano River.  A good use of smoke should be used when making your crossing and disrupting any enemy spotters and guns.  The second mission to this is the German counterattack version where the German 26th Panzer is now in place to throw a counterattack at the Allies who supposedly would have crossed it and taken the town.

Edited by GhostRider3/3

5 hours ago, Bleskaceq said:

Hey, thanks for making the scenario.

I've recently finished a hvh game against Hilts on the easier version of the scenario and I'd like to share a couple of problems I found and some feedback for the German side.

• The briefing was extremly confusing to me. Didn't really know what sort of overall friendly force should I have and what should I recieve as reinforcements later. I think that just adding a list of friendly forces for this scenario would solve this completely. Don't have to know when they'll arrive, just the knowledge of what forces I have would be enough for me to make decisions.
  • The supporting Battalion's mortar company tubes are out of range for most of the map. They can barely reach past the Pass objective. I hope that's not intentional. I'd give them the range to at the very least be able to cover the town objective.
  • The deployment or rather the lack thereof. I suppose the idea is for the german player to just get thrown in and to deal with the situation. I am not a huge fan of that, but I can appreciate it. One thing I'd appeal for is to at least have the ability to reposition foxholes and obstacles.
  • The map itself. I like the look of it and how diverse with terrain it is. I have found it a bit too narrow for the scale of forces ar play. Also there are only a couple of key terrain features that can "lock off" the rest of the map for the enemy. Basically what happened in our game was that we entered this sort of stalemate where neither of us was able to advance anywhere.

Anyway, it's a cool and unique little (quite big actually) scenario. Cheers

Hello and thanks for playing the scenario.  I have since your reply updated the briefing to be a bit more less cryptic.  :)  Added 120mm Mortar which should help.  Deployment is based on parts of the Aufklärung setting up and Pioneers doing their job hastily before the Allies attack as their approach was near.... gives the impression of a somewhat hastily setup but gives the German player enough time to maneuver some things if they wish.  The area is cramped yes which adds I think more to the Italian theatre of impassible rocky areas, narrow gorge and rivers and streams which were abundant.  But it was really created as a difficult Allied crossing vs German position in mind after reading a bunch of material from that part of the war.  Here is the latest version with with some of your input in mind. thanks again, I hope you two play it again and try out the German Counterattack version as well.   My drop box.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp0uuu1nu7o9vtt/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.btt?dl=0

Edited by GhostRider3/3

3 hours ago, PEB14 said:

What shall be played, the "Easier v2" version or the "normal" one?

If you intend to play as the Allies then you might get away with playing the harder version if you are playing against the AI but trust me, you don't want to be playing the harder version if it's H2H, unless you are very, very good!

Latest version   https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp0uuu1nu7o9vtt/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.btt?dl=0

German Counterattack  https://www.dropbox.com/s/w85c0bs5njnllhl/A Once Quiet Town German Counterattack.btt?dl=0

Normal Version... not intended for H2H.  This was the raw version with little updating, but pretty hardcore.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/la4uw2u5cuoohvd/A Once Quiet Town.btt?dl=0

Edited by GhostRider3/3

4 minutes ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

I hope you two play it again and try out the German Counterattack version as well.   

We won't be playing that one again but we may try out the German counter-attack at some point but has that problem with the missing Canadian platoon HQs been sorted out in the counter-attack scenario?

20 minutes ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

German Counterattack

Oh dear, I'm reminded that I was playing this last June (😱) and then got distracted by H2Hs and testing scenarios for a certain excellent BP that was coming out.

My apologies James!

So in my scenarios folder I have:

• A Once Quiet Town
  • A Once Quiet Town Easier V2
  • A Once Quiet Town German Counterattack

and also

• A Pleasant Italian Town V2 which looks like (and is the same filesize as) A Once Quiet Town

Anway, without thinking, I re-installed Counterattack, but I've just tested it and my save loads up fine, so I think I already had the same version.  And no excuse not to continue.

Great work James, thanks.

3 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Latest version   https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp0uuu1nu7o9vtt/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.btt?dl=0

German Counterattack  https://www.dropbox.com/s/w85c0bs5njnllhl/A Once Quiet Town German Counterattack.btt?dl=0

Normal Version... not intended for H2H.  This was the raw version with little updating, but pretty hardcore.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/la4uw2u5cuoohvd/A Once Quiet Town.btt?dl=0

Didn't you post them all at the FGM repository? I think you could get more feedback!

5 hours ago, Hilts said:

We won't be playing that one again but we may try out the German counter-attack at some point but has that problem with the missing Canadian platoon HQs been sorted out in the counter-attack scenario?

There are no issues as far as that goes, and that had been rectified.  The Canadians are defending with what they have left and available to prevent the German attack from succeeding. So some units have been displaced.

17 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Hello and thanks for playing the scenario.  I have since your reply updated the briefing to be a bit more less cryptic.  :)  Added 120mm Mortar which should help.  Deployment is based on parts of the Aufklärung setting up and Pioneers doing their job hastily before the Allies attack as their approach was near.... gives the impression of a somewhat hastily setup but gives the German player enough time to maneuver some things if they wish.  The area is cramped yes which adds I think more to the Italian theatre of impassible rocky areas, narrow gorge and rivers and streams which were abundant.  But it was really created as a difficult Allied crossing vs German position in mind after reading a bunch of material from that part of the war.  Here is the latest version with with some of your input in mind. thanks again, I hope you two play it again and try out the German Counterattack version as well.   My drop box.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp0uuu1nu7o9vtt/A Once Quiet Town Easier V2.btt?dl=0

I've checked the updated scenario. I didn't describe the confusion I had with the mortars properly I think. What I meant was that the two off-map 81mm mortar sections have a very limited maximum range, check attached image. They can't physically put any rounds beyond the drawn line. And I am not sure if that was intentional, say the defence was so hasty that the mortars didn't have enough time to set up properly and can only reach your area and support you if the enemy manages to break through the initial river defence line?

mortarRange.png

1 hour ago, Bleskaceq said:

I've checked the updated scenario. I didn't describe the confusion I had with the mortars properly I think. What I meant was that the two off-map 81mm mortar sections have a very limited maximum range, check attached image. They can't physically put any rounds beyond the drawn line. And I am not sure if that was intentional, say the defence was so hasty that the mortars didn't have enough time to set up properly and can only reach your area and support you if the enemy manages to break through the initial river defence line?

mortarRange.png