Wasp used in IDF?

StieliAlpha

Gents, this may be a question for @Sgt.Squarehead:

Recently, I watched a documentary about the Arab-Israeli Wars. In a section about the 6-days war, I spotted something which looked like the German SPA Wasp. The tracks had 5 or so solid travel rollers and 4 tension rollers. The gun seemed to be shorter and of larger diameter. Especially the muzzle brake looked more bulky. In addition it looked like the SPA had some sort of transport boxes on the outsides of the  gun compartment.

Unfortunately, I saw the SPA only for a few seconds and had no time to take a screen shot.

I searched briefly in the Internet, but found no confirmation. The nearest info I found, was that the IDF used some upgraded Pz IV‘s.

Edited by StieliAlpha

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Looking at the pic’s: Yep, sure. 

Especially the long barrel of the AMX 13 rules it out.

Plus, the docu showed a battery firing as artillery, which is not an AMX 13 job.

But you are right. On those pic‘s the two look quite similar.

What about this one?Need to check or Israel bought them or made their own version. I like to solve things.

amxvariant.jpg

Edited by chuckdyke

IIRC Israel improvised a few SPGs too, notably the Soltam etc. on the Sherman chassis.....Without actually seeing it, I couldn't offer much more (I don't recall ever hearing of German SPGs being used by the IDF).

@chuckdyke's suggestion of an AMX-105 is as good a bet as anything I can immediately come up with.

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Need to check or Israel bought them

They did. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

What about this one?Need to check or Israel bought them or made their own version. I like to solve things.

amxvariant.jpg

That one could be. I can‘t remember the gun shield, but otherwise it comes close. I‘ll try to find the docu in the Mediathek of the TV station and take a screen shot.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:38 PM, StieliAlpha said:

That one could be. I can‘t remember the gun shield, but otherwise it comes close. I‘ll try to find the docu in the Mediathek of the TV station and take a screen shot.

@chuckdyke and @Sgt.Squarehead: Seems I have to wait until I am in Germany next time. They won‘t let me stream the docu from Switzerland.

In case anybody want to try: The Wasp (?) appeared in NTV‘s „Wir sind Geschichte“ Season 1, Part 3 „Der Nahostkonflikt“ somewhere in the last 10 minutes or so.