Invincible King Tiger

11 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Absolutely not. Breakthrough tanks, or heavy tanks, have strong side and rear armor. Medium tanks only have a strong shield to the front and thin armor everywhere else.

Specifically, Tigers have 80-82mm side armor, Panther has 40mm (which is quite good for a medium tank).

We were referring to the metal all coming from the same place, not the thickness of the armour.  :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Lower Hull Frontal has 100 mm armor which can be penetrated by US Munitions to 500 meters. 

Lower front is definitely a week spot. In CMRT, 100mm and 122mm can easily penetrate this part <1000m. 

A little OT. I know there were some discussion before. People says TacAI is aiming at the center part of the AFV.  I have noticed that in dozen cases a fully exposed KT or Panther received first hit through a penetration on lower front hull.  This cannot be explained by lucky shots. My feeling is TacAI intentionally aiming at the weak point.  

Of course this is just my impression from dozen cases, it needs some more testing to confirm this is true.

36 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

Of course this is just my impression from dozen cases, it needs some more testing to confirm this is true.

Thick armor was not designed to save the tank but the crew. Naturally we can't avoid tank to tank combat but be careful always. Damaged controls maybe all what a Firefly or a M10 tank destroyer needs to have the upper hand. The first Tiger to be captured was disabled by a 'lucky' shot of a six-pounder from the front. 

6 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

People says TacAI is aiming at the center part of the AFV.  I have noticed that in dozen cases a fully exposed KT or Panther received first hit through a penetration on lower front hull.  This cannot be explained by lucky shots. My feeling is TacAI intentionally aiming at the weak point.  

My experience is the exact opposite. Fully exposed panthers get hit on the upper glacis nearly every time at shorter ranges, and sometimes on the lower turret. At long ranges, dispersion means the shots spread out more, and can also hit the lower front or pass over the tank.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

My experience is the exact opposite. Fully exposed panthers get hit on the upper glacis nearly every time at shorter ranges, and sometimes on the lower turret. At long ranges, dispersion means the shots spread out more, and can also hit the lower front or pass over the tank.

Yes, Range could be a factor. Most of my case are long range engagement , >500m. Some are greater than 1300m.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2022 at 9:13 PM, CanuckGamer said:

We are about 60% through playing the Against the Odds scenario and I am playing the Russians.  I have lost about a dozen tanks to two German tanks, both Mark IVs.  One King Tiger was hit about a dozen times, 8 of them from the rear.  Of the dozen 3 were from a SU-122 firing 122 mm AP.  One of the hits rocked the Tiger and it indicated gun mount hit.  Unfortunately it didn't disable the main gun so it then knocked out the SU-122.  Earlier it knocked out another SU-122.  Talk about being indestructible!!!!

There are three Russian planes which are "preparing" so unless they can knock out the Tiger and my friend tells me there are more, then this scenario is over.  

I'm really surprised the 122 mm hits from the SU didn't take the Tiger out.

Well if you want a crazy scenario to play.  Playing as the Germans you can try my scenario.  'Clash of Titans Reborn"  https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm6gnh7p5t1385b/CoT-Reborn-v2_2 (2).zip?dl=0  Feel free to visit any of my other scenarios.  I have probably the most realisitic Barkmann's corner as well.  Researched it for 4 months.   my dropbox  ZipShare - Dropbox

Clash of Titans Reborn will is fictional with some named personnel from the 505sPz.Abt. etc.  The map was created for German vs AI only or H2H play.  Pits the player with a decent scenario story, and in charge of about 7 Total King Tigers and later Panthers vs a mix of Russian ISU-152, ISU-122S, IS-1, IS-2, T-34-85's and utter craziness battle!  Can you survive and counterattack?  LOL  :)

Regards,

James.

• 5 weeks later...

James my friend, from the scenario dropbox link I get a 2016 version, not sure that's correct (or maybe it is)?  And the other link to your dropbox stuff takes me to my own dropbox?

As you may or may not remember I was a big fan of your Barkmann's Corner (which I succeded at by a hair's breadth), so I'm keen to try anything else 👍.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

A fun way to kill Nazi super-heavies is with area fire fron any Soviet 152mm. You don't need clear visibility - a direct hit with HE stands a good chance of killing any German tank.

Now this is interesting.  I'm re-playing Monster Mash as a PBEM and guess what, I'm Soviet and have a few ISU-152s.  Totally by coincidence I did already try what you describe, but only very briefly to save ammo.  Might try again...