Black Sea map pack

Follow the link to an in-progress map pack for Black Sea. All of these maps are blank and exist for use of scenario designers to make scenarios with without the onerous map creation portion of the experience.

https://github.com/combat-mission/Black-Sea/tree/main/maps

Please let me know if any of these maps do not work in Black Sea. My testing has shown that they do but I haven't tried to load them all in the 3d mode. Additionally if anyone here would like to help and has CMFI/CMRT please PM me.

Notes:

Most of these are maps were packed with the games but a few are from map designers. Be sure to click the "..." to show attributions.

I plan on doing this for other games in the series.

As this is list is refined they'll be added to the scenario depot for better accessibility. This current location is a soft launch location.

I already had all of them except 'Kieme's Highway 2' & 'Junction 2'.....I can vouch that all of them will run in 3d Preview (at maximum settings) on my fairly powerful rig.

Not sure I'd vouch for them running so well with a regiment's worth of LOS to calculate though.....That's what it would take to fill some of them, eh @sburke;)

PS - Here's an odd thing that might be of interest to those that deal with big maps on a regular basis, purely based on my own experiences.  If I open a humongous map and click straight on 3d Preview, the chances of a crash/failure to load/whatever seems maybe 30-50% higher than if I open the 2d Map Editor and scale the map so that I can see all or most of it on screen as tiles, before I view it in 3d Preview.  I have no idea if this is a real thing, or just my imagination, but it seems to work for me, so that's what I do.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Yea I figured most old timers had these but I noticed that they aren't easily accessible so my goal is to drop these on the @Bootiewebsite so they are more easily available to the public.

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Here's an odd thing that might be of interest to those that deal with big maps on a regular basis, purely based on my own experiences.  If I open a humongous map and click straight on 3d Preview, the chances of a crash/failure to load/whatever seems maybe 30-50% higher than if I open the 2d Map editor and scale the map so that I can see all or most of it on screen as tiles, before I view it in 3d Preview.  I have no idea if this is a real thing, or just my imagination, but it seems to work for me, so that's what I do.

This is very interesting and possibly explains why my game kept crashing when trying to load these maps!

Try it out, I'd be interested to know if it actually makes a difference.

Always fully exit the game, between monster maps.....Loading one after another will be a trainwreck.

When working with them, save often and once again, fully exit the game and reload before continuing.....It's a chore, but it's a hell of a lot less painful than losing a couple of hours work, ask me how I know.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Try it out, I'd be interested to know if it actually makes a difference.

Ended up being my AMD drivers.

Also just bumping this since BS is probably getting more attention now. I've thrown together a few quick and dirty QB maps for people to try too https://github.com/combat-mission/Black-Sea/tree/main/qb