2022, the Year In Preview!

13 hours ago, Jace11 said:

US Marines for Black Sea? Aren’t there suitable NATO units that could have been included. So little variety already in the modern titles. And are we to believe an invasion fleet is sent into the Black Sea? Within land based air range, kilo subs operating in it. Urgh. Sounds ridiculous and the US centric aspect is getting a bit boring, could have done an entirely new army or something. Reasonable excited about most of the stuff listed but this made no sense other than it would be easier to make with the assets from other titles.

Well the USMC has fought in the last 4 US wars without an amphibious invasion, so need to assume they would have to land anywhere in the Black Sea or elsewhere in the fictional conflict in the Ukraine.

15 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

Black Sea badly needs scenarios on maps that are of the scale of Cold War. And Cold War badly needs quick battle maps that are of the size and quality you get into the campaigns.

The QB maps are by far the biggest letdown of both titles.

I think all titles should have Huge maps. It’s 2022, our PCs can handle it! Hopefully this is kept in mind as Steam allows for easier updates, maybe making QBs out of the master maps?

6 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

I think all titles should have Huge maps. It’s 2022, our PCs can handle it!

Some of the games seem moodier than others on this front.....CM:FI seems particularly prone to crashing with big maps/scenarios.

I'm running an I9-9990, 32GB, 2080ti Extreme, but a modrately complex 4km x 4km map will still crash fairly often if I preview it.

Tree and building density. The game will run forever on a maxed-out desert map. CMBS basegame had a lot of dense tree coverage. If Marines are in the module that implies more arid southern coastal area, which also implies less dense tree coverage and expanses of corporate farming. Which implies bigger maps.

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Tree and building density. The game will run forever on a maxed-out desert map. CMBS basegame had a lot of dense tree coverage. If Marines are in the module that implies more arid southern coastal area, which also implies less dense tree coverage and expanses of corporate farming. Which implies bigger maps.

Hopefully, what Steve said will address this:

We're still planning on doing an Engine 5 Upgrade that focuses on performance improvements

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Some of the games seem moodier than others on this front.....CM:FI seems particularly prone to crashing with big maps/scenarios.

I'm running an I9-9990, 32GB, 2080ti Extreme, but a modrately complex 4km x 4km map will still crash fairly often if I preview it.

Because the older games run awfully. 

Try playing a battalion vs battalion fight in CMSF2 real time. Then try it in CMCW. CMRT feels like it handles large battles better than CMBS, oddly. 

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

This is simply untrue. The newer games just run better with more troops/buildings/trees. Berlin works way faster in CMCW than it does in CMRT.

Edited by Artkin

16 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's because the games aren't currently capable of taking advantage of the full power of modern computers. They are well optimized, and will run reasonably well even on a potato. But there is no noticeable improvement in their performance on even the most powerful gaming PCs. Engine 5 will probably address this.

2 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

That's because the games aren't currently capable of taking advantage of the full power of modern computers. They are well optimized, and will run reasonably well even on a potato. But there is no noticeable improvement in their performance on even the most powerful gaming PCs. Engine 5 will probably address this.

Lets hope. Input lag and camera lag is one of the most frustrating parts of Combat Mission. One of the most important reasons why I prefers SF2 over all other games is performance.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, 37mm said:

If I understand the Black Sea storyline correctly the war was a short, sharp thing which ends in a few months... a little bit like the Shock Force hypothetical war.

BFC doesn't do post-war occupation & resistance stuff so I doubt we'll get official modern snowscapes... at least til CMCW's first module.

It should be noted that the CMBS scenario editor does allow freezing temperatures so (when combined with wet or damp or muddy ground conditions) is either particularly well suited for unofficial snow mods OR BFC plan to prove me wrong.

You are probably right. Would be nice though, for the immersion I mean and the USMC has done extensive training in Norway in winter conditions.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:33 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Don't forget to read "From the Realm of a Dying Sun, Volume 1: IV. SS-Panzerkorps and the Battles for Warsaw, July-November 1944" by Douglas E. Nash. HIGHLY recommended. 

saved and added to wish list! cheers.

2 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Can someone explain this a little better ? I need a patch to play in Sltherine CMCW customers in the Tournament system?

My understanding is that the currently committed PBEM++ in CMCW is not sufficient for the tournament. Which is supposed to happen next month.

2 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Can someone explain this a little better ? I need a patch to play in Sltherine CMCW customers in the Tournament system?

There are two things here that are separate. The PBEM++ system which is in now and you can already play in CM Cold War. Then there is an official tournament system that uses the PBEM++ system. Matrix (or Sltherine I have not idea why or what the difference is) will apparently be starting it soon but you cannot just play whomever like. You can now you have to come at it through their official tournament system or website or something like that. I don't know the details.

13 minutes ago, IanL said:

There are two things here that are separate. The PBEM++ system which is in now and you can already play in CM Cold War. Then there is an official tournament system that uses the PBEM++ system. Matrix (or Sltherine I have not idea why or what the difference is) will apparently be starting it soon but you cannot just play whomever like. You can now you have to come at it through their official tournament system or website or something like that. I don't know the details.

My understanding is that there is a software component to the tournament system (which is not in CMCW yet).

14 hours ago, IanL said:

This might help, or not...

I am currently enjoying FOG2 and have played in two Slitherine run tournaments using the system. 

It allows the tourney organiser to create a scenario and map that everyone plays. These have been played both ways so you and your opponent plays two games each person the two different sides.

You sign up for the tourney via a Slitherine portal and when the games start you are randomly assigned an opponent.  Everyone in the tourney is playing on exact same map and force choices. You choose how and what to buy within the constraints of the points available. 

The number of rounds can vary (set by organiser) after round one points are tallied and displayed on a Web page showing ranking. Next round a new set of forces / map and you play the opponent with a similar score, Swiss style.

Rinse and repeat until final round and someone is crowned the winner.

Looks automated capturing the results and ranking / pairing players. 

If I get time later on my PC I will post some screenshots.

14 hours ago, Redwolf said:

My understanding is that there is a software component to the tournament system (which is not in CMCW yet).

Yes the backend seems to be automated to allow easier tournament management and for displaying scores / rankings. The founders of Slitherine used to (and still do) play a lot of tournaments from WRG rules to games today. They are passionate about wargames from table top days and this I think is the reason they have invested time in an inbuilt tournament system. 

IMO it is actually a smart business move as it keeps people wanting to play and to play in the FOG2 tournaments you need to keep buying the DLC's. 

1 hour ago, Jumpete said:

Will the battle packs come with new toys long time awaited such as KV's for RT or Stug IV for Normandy?

Unlikely.....Battlepacks are usually just scenarios, campaigns and maps.

Bit surprised to discover CM:BN doesn't have StuG.IV.....It was the primary AFV of 17 SS PzGr. in that period:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17th_SS_Panzergrenadier_Division_Götz_von_Berlichingen

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! Early Normandy stuff you say? I hope beach maps are added, the one thing normandy family was missing, was storming off the beach and the early towns after.

Is this the first time a game family reverts backwards to the early part of the war? Cool you guys stick to finishing something out in total.

Edited by user1000