War in the Pacific?

wlmiv

Hello:

I was wondering if the designers were ever going to create a CM 2 for the World War II Pacific theater. I can think of at least three modules you could create Island Hopping, Guadalcanal- Solomon Islands, and New Guinea Philippines. Other modules could be Nationalist China v. Japan or the Burma/Ledo Road. Just think of the possibilities!

In the past the developers have expressed no interest in the Pacific theater for the CM series. My assumption is that they believe that the lower levels of armor in these battles may lead to lower levels of interest from most potential buyers (compared to theaters where armor played a larger role). For a number of buyers the lower amount of armor models may suggest that they're not getting as much value out of these more infantry-centric games than the ones where armor is more prominent.

Another issue is the importance of fortifications, which is a bit of a weak spot with the current CM engine. This would be especially true of the island-hopping campaigns and a bit less so with other Asian theater campaigns.

So I don't imagine that there will be a Pacific theater game anytime soon, but the developers have surprised us in the past. The 'Cold War' game wasn't something that Battlefront had any interest in doing, but some testers convinced them and did a lot of the research and grunt work to get the game made. However Cold War does have quite a bit of armor, so it may not be an apples-to-apples comparison with the possibility of doing the same thing for the Pacific theater.

I too would be interested in fighting the Japanese but yeah not much armor I suppose.  Since the research would be lots less maybe if the price of the game was 

in proportion to the research, it would pay off - profit wise I mean.  They did of course have some armor, trucks etc.  Right?