Game don't open after click "play" on main menu game

MikiFiki

I have
CM Cold War
CM Black Sea
CM Shock Force 2 + DLCs
from Steam.

System: Windows 7 64bit.

After instalations, chose game on Steam a click play from steam library CM, appears main menu (play, manulas, product page, etc.) after press "play" nothing happens. No errors.

I try reinstallation, don't correct.

Any ideas?

I haven't run a Steam version of the game until tonight. After clicking the 'Play' button (in Steam), you should see a Battlefront logo (an M48 tank firing in the darkness) and then the actual main menu of the CM game should appear. The 'Battlefront logo' is actually the 'intro.wmv' media file playing for a few seconds. There's a slight possibility that this file is causing the issue you're seeing. Try launching the game directly and see if that makes any difference (the shortcut for the game on the desktop will actually launch the Steam launcher for the game). Find the CM game in the following directory (using Black Sea as an example):

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Black Sea\CM Black Sea.exe

If launching the game directly doesn't work, then temporarily remove the 'intro.wmv' file found in the 'Data' subdirectory (put it on your desktop or somewhere outside of the CM game folder).

If that still doesn't work, then we need to find out some more details about the computer you're attempting to run the games on. If your running them on a laptop, then there is the possibility that the video driver (often Intel) may not be supporting OpenGL properly for some reason or if you have a dedicated GPU in your laptop, then it may not be initializing the GPU properly (not detecting the CM games as needing the GPU).

Hi

After click "play" nothing happens. Even movie.

I also tried use D:\Program Files\Steam\1\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\CM Shock Force 2.exe but it is same problem (nothing happens).

I also deleted D:\Program Files\Steam\1\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Data\intro.wmv but it is same problem (nothing happens).

I also tried use with administrative rights but it is same problem (nothing happens).

I use PC.

My specification

WIN 7 64bit.

Intel Core I5 I7400 3,00GHz

Geforce 1060 GTX 6GB + newest drivers

16Gb RAM

Games AAA works OK, but CM not ;/

I have also another PC

WIN 10 64bit (with better specification then abover) but it is same problem

So for some people there is an issue where Windows Defender raises a false positive for some CM games.

Try adding an exclusion to windows defender for the installation folder and reinstall the games: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26

Try checking windows event viewer and see if there are any errors or warnings.

What security/anti-virus software are you using ? You may want to list an exception (white-listing) within that software in case it is interfering with the game. It is a fairly rare to have security software interfering now-a-days, but it is a possibility.

If you do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the Task Manager, do you see the CM executable listed at all ? If you do, then highlight it and click the 'End Program' button. Try launching again and see if that makes any difference. Have you rebooted your system lately ? If not, then do so and attempt running the games again.

The CM games utilize OpenGL for graphics calls (rather than the much more common DirectX). The Nvidia drivers should support OpenGL just fine and there is rarely anything that you need to do to get the games to work with them.

17 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

So for some people there is an issue where Windows Defender raises a false positive for some CM games.

Try adding an exclusion to windows defender for the installation folder and reinstall the games: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26

Try checking windows event viewer and see if there are any errors or warnings.

Windows Defender--- I check this, but it is same problem (nothing happens).

Windows event viewer--- I check this, nothing see

17 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

What security/anti-virus software are you using ? You may want to list an exception (white-listing) within that software in case it is interfering with the game. It is a fairly rare to have security software interfering now-a-days, but it is a possibility.

If you do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the Task Manager, do you see the CM executable listed at all ? If you do, then highlight it and click the 'End Program' button. Try launching again and see if that makes any difference. Have you rebooted your system lately ? If not, then do so and attempt running the games again.

The CM games utilize OpenGL for graphics calls (rather than the much more common DirectX). The Nvidia drivers should support OpenGL just fine and there is rarely anything that you need to do to get the games to work with them.

On WIN 7 (Avast Antivirus)

On WIN 10 (AVG Antivirus)

white-listing -- I check this, but it is same problem (nothing happens).

Ctrl-Alt-Del - I only see Launcher.exe, I don't see CM Shock Force 2.exe

PC ---WIN 10 64bit

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3,40GHz

Radeon 570 8GB  +newest drivers

16Gb RAM

On 12/27/2021 at 5:05 PM, MikiFiki said:

I have
CM Cold War
CM Black Sea
CM Shock Force 2 + DLCs
from Steam.

System: Windows 7 64bit.

After instalations, chose game on Steam a click play from steam library CM, appears main menu (play, manulas, product page, etc.) after press "play" nothing happens. No errors.

I try reinstallation, don't correct.

Any ideas?

I know that this sounds like a total copout but have you contacted Matrix and/or Steam support? The Steam version is a completely different installer than the Battlefront version. It is built/created by the Matrix/Slitherine people. We send them the raw files and they create the installer. Heck, Battlefront is not even part of testing their installers. The only participation by us is just before the games go live they send me the installer and I make sure they work and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. 

To not be completely worthless, what files do you have in D:\Program Files\Steam\1\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Data ? It should have everything that is in this screenshot.

Steam CMSF2 Data.jpg