Market Garden mission The Heuman Lock Bridge

Stevie52

Hi @Stevie52, welcome.

Is this in a campaign rather than a standalone battle?  I don't have a standalone battle called The Heuman Lock Bridge (with or without MG in front), but I found the bridge in a battle called MG Bridge Number Seven which seems to be oriented differently with a lot more of the map at the back of your shot, and the paras back there as well heading towards the foreground.  If I'm not mistaken your canal sides are more fortified as well.

I was going to try moving some troops across the bridge but wanted to get the right battle.

EDIT: I loaded up Bridge Number Seven as German (they start next to the bridge so the test was quick) and can confirm that they can cross the bridge.  I used several waypoints including one at each end of the bridge.

Edited by Vacilllator

@Stevie52 Yes, this is a bug, although some players can get through the mission without encountering it. I think it might have something to do with which Engine you are running but I'm not sure. There have been a few threads on this topic but I don't think that anyone came up with a definitive solution.

@Vacilllator This if from "The Road to Nijmegen" campaign. 

Meanwhile here is a way to work off any anger that this bug causes ... 

1 hour ago, Stevie52 said:

@Warts 'n' all i have v4.00 (Game Engine 4) combat mission battle for normandy 

OK. When I played this back in 2014 I was running Engine 2 and was able to get a handful of my men across the bridge before they got taken out, and I suffered a Major Defeat. I haven't been able to find the thread that I mentioned earlier, so I ran my own little test by unpacking the mission from the campaign folder and using some of the German troops who are defending. One unit wouldn't budge at all, whilst another got halfway across before getting stuck and cancelling their movement order. I ran the test for ten turns, using different movement commands without success.

• 1 year later...

Just finished the same scenario and had the same problem. Makes the scenario objectives impossible to achieve which is pretty damn annoying to be honest. Auto defeat effectively and a waste if time. I am a bit shocked the bug hasn’t been fixed yet. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 7:23 PM, AndrewO said:

Just finished the same scenario and had the same problem. Makes the scenario objectives impossible to achieve which is pretty damn annoying to be honest. Auto defeat effectively and a waste if time. I am a bit shocked the bug hasn’t been fixed yet. 

This was fixed in a patch earlier this year. However, you have to restart the new, revised campaign from scratch as older campaign saves have this bug baked into them. To benefit from the fix, you need to start it all over again. Not ideal, I know but that's how the engine works - it's not a fix that a patch can make alone.