Hull Down Command discrepancies

RMM

First, I do love this command, but while playing Verdenne, both of us had issues with the command not seeming to work the way the manual describes it:

- I ordered a Panther to crest a ridge and assigned a brief fire command at the end, since that seems to ensure that the vehicle will clear the rise that I want it to, rather than the AI guessing at what it is I want them to be hull down to exactly; HOWEVER, the Panther stopped short, didn't take the shot (no there was no other obstacle to LoS), and I had to 'manually' order it forward with regular move commands in the next turn.

- My opponent had similar issues with his Shermans: they stopped short of the crest he wanted them hull down on and had to manually move them up to their final positions.

It's a good time saver but it's not as reliable as it could be so sometimes you end up wasting a turn where if you just took the time to get your tank into hull down manually it would have worked fine. If you're just trying to get a large group of vehicles into a good enough position then it's useful, but for vital vehicles in vital areas I would just stick my face in the dirt and drag those move orders around myself.

1 hour ago, RMM said:

First, I do love this command, but while playing Verdenne, both of us had issues with the command not seeming to work the way the manual describes it:

- I ordered a Panther to crest a ridge and assigned a brief fire command at the end, since that seems to ensure that the vehicle will clear the rise that I want it to, rather than the AI guessing at what it is I want them to be hull down to exactly; HOWEVER, the Panther stopped short, didn't take the shot (no there was no other obstacle to LoS), and I had to 'manually' order it forward with regular move commands in the next turn.

- My opponent had similar issues with his Shermans: they stopped short of the crest he wanted them hull down on and had to manually move them up to their final positions.

Don't use the Hull Down command for area fire. It's not meant for that. It's really intended for tank vs tank engagement. The idea behind the command is to put your tank hull down to another vehicle on a particular piece of terrain, NOT hull down to the terrain itself. It assumes a Very Tall vehicle on the targeted action spot and attempts to get hull down to that vehicle, so it will usually stop short of LOS to the ground and will also sometimes stop short of LOS to any vehicle shorter than Very Tall (Panthers and Shermans are Very Tall).

14 minutes ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

Don't use the Hull Down command for area fire. It's not meant for that. It's really intended for tank vs tank engagement. The idea behind the command is to put your tank hull down to another vehicle on a particular piece of terrain, NOT hull down to the terrain itself. It assumes a Very Tall vehicle on the targeted action spot and attempts to get hull down to that vehicle, so it will usually stop short of LOS to the ground and will also sometimes stop short of LOS to any vehicle shorter than Very Tall (Panthers and Shermans are Very Tall).

Ahhh. Ok, that really does explain it. Tks @Vanir Ausf B