Rollbahn D - Day3 and beyond.

And so the show goes on.

"No Prizes" ended with a Major Victory, albeit a tad costly. It was a bit of a slog trying to get my men down a thickly wooded slope under mortar fire. But my tactic of "Recon by Kubelwagen" paid off, it got taken out allowing my tanks to fire my men onto the "Heights" objective. 

Next up "Punishment at Parfondry", sounds a bit ominous.

I'm also playing through this campaign at the moment, but I'm a bit wary of checking this thread to avoid spoliers. But enjoying it so far. Beautiful maps and some interesting unit matchups.

One thing that often confuses me is that the briefings often call AT guns "tank destroyers". Maybe that's what they are called in the memoirs?

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I'm also playing through this campaign at the moment, but I'm a bit wary of checking this thread to avoid spoliers. But enjoying it so far. Beautiful maps and some interesting unit matchups.

One thing that often confuses me is that the briefings often call AT guns "tank destroyers". Maybe that's what they are called in the memoirs?

US Tank Destroyers could be mobile M10/M36's or 3" towed guns operated by Tank Destroyer units.

Such as the 823rd TD Btn. C Company of the 823rd, had 1x platoon of mobile M10's and 2x platoons each with 4x 3" towed guns.

The AT guns were 57mm operated by Infantry units, AT Companies within Infantry Regiments.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign.

3 hours ago, theforger said:

Hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign.

I'm sure I will. As in all good campaigns, there are some tense moments and also some complete tactical howlers that make me want to throw the computer out the window.

Such as in a mission where my King Tiger suddenly got hit from the side, penetrating the turret twice, but with a small caliber, so I correctly assumed it was a 57mm AT gun using HVAP. Since the tank was not knocked out yet, the only logical thing would be to pivot towards the gun and let the strong frontal armour keep me safe, because such a puny gun could never destroy the mighty KT frontally, right?

Wrong.

1 minute ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Ooops.

I would have reacted in a similar fashion, had I but an imperial ounce of your delicate British sensibilities, but I must admit that harsher words were uttered.

Still wondering how it could happen, as the game said "penetration upper front turret" but didn't show a hit marker. I'm thinking what happened was that as I pivoted the tank, I also drove a bit forward, and that the tank might have been angled a bit down so as to expose the weaker turret roof armour.

It was still a really lucky shot that it hit that specific part, but the main tactical error was not being aware the tank was crossing a road and could be hit from the side at that moment.

I made the error because the KT was supporting infantry in a heavy firefight, so I got tunnel vision trying to push forward. Oh well.

7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I would have reacted in a similar fashion, had I but an imperial ounce of your delicate British sensibilities, but I must admit that harsher words were uttered.

The "delicate British sensibilities" often lose their fight with the "angry Irish bastard" when I'm playing CM. In the meantime in my current mission my KTs have taken out a couple of Shermans, but were too slow to react when a Chaffee briefly appeared. I'll get it later, I hope.

TF Jordan was a bloodbath, that ended in a "Draw". I lost all my tanks within the first five minutes, but my schreks and fausts did their work.

Now off to Froidcour. I would cue up Hank but he didn't record it until 1950.

Exits stage right humming loudly ----------------------------------------------------------->

Ok so I managed a "tactical victory" for Neufmoulin Rouge.. but I thought that was very generous, as I did a rubbish job in this one. Every single tactical thing I tried just failed miserably, and I took so many losses that it was mostly empty SPWs that made it to the exit zone in the end.

I'm frustrated with the way the game selects weapons. In many cases, I did manage to sneak up on enemy armour with small tank hunting teams, but they just refused to use their Panzerfausts, instead choosing to fire rifles and maybe one grenade per turn. Giving the armour plenty of time to just turn the turret and blow them away, or enemy infantry the chance to return fire.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I'm frustrated with the way the game selects weapons. In many cases, I did manage to sneak up on enemy armour with small tank hunting teams, but they just refused to use their Panzerfausts, instead choosing to fire rifles and maybe one grenade per turn. Giving the armour plenty of time to just turn the turret and blow them away, or enemy infantry the chance to return fire.

I can well understand you frustration when things like that happen. You just sit there screaming helplessly, "For **** sake, fire your bloody faust!" Or words to that effect.

Elizabeth looks up, and rattles her Swear Box. "A farthing in here now Noddle Head if you please."

It seems to happen against open-top vehicles. I think it might be because the troops are able to see the enemy soldiers inside the vehicle, and so they treat them like enemy infantry close by. And that takes priority over firing AT weapons at the vehicle.

Notice also how when you spot a tank destroyer, you get both an armour contact marker and an infantry contact marker on the same location.

Edited by Bulletpoint

8 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I've never noticed that before. I shall have to pay more attention in future.

I only noticed it now, since it was so dark, and when I saw the infantry marker next to the TD marker, I thought it might mean they bailed out, but I later found out they didn't.

"Cold hearts" proved to be an interesting little fight, It ended in a very low casualty Total Victory, which is how I like things to be, except when I'm fighting Stinkpots with long pointy beards.

Next up is "Persistence Prevails" which features a dismounted Konig Tiger, which is not how one would like it be.

21 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

"Cold hearts" proved to be an interesting little fight, It ended in a very low casualty Total Victory, which is how I like things to be, except when I'm fighting Stinkpots with long pointy beards.

Next up is "Persistence Prevails" which features a dismounted Konig Tiger, which is not how one would like it be.

that engagement near the Chateau convinced Pieper to withdraw from Cheneux and Stoumont to La Gleize, and to the capture of Major McCown.

Hope you enjoy PP, I think it's a fun one to play. Getting the Tiger operational adds some jeopardy.

2 hours ago, theforger said:

that engagement near the Chateau convinced Pieper to withdraw from Cheneux and Stoumont to La Gleize, and to the capture of Major McCown.

I wasn't able to capture McCoward (sic) he ran off into the woods and hid after one of his mates had been wounded, which I only found out at the end of the battle.