Rollbahn D - Day3 and beyond.

1 hour ago, evilman222 said:

Just started this mission, and I must say that I prefer your version of Stoumont to the vanilla one. The vanilla one might be a bit nicer cosmetically, but some of the minor details and lines of sight on your version allow for more interesting tactical options and more predictable lines of sight.

I'm still at the Set-up Phase for this mission. I got waylaid by a long Boxing Day lunch. But I agree the subtle differences between this map and the base game one are worth looking out for.

Stoumont scenario is definitely too dark. I've got an unbuttoned panther which somehow doesn't notice a Sherman firing away at infantry even though the Sherman is less than 40m away. Seems that the game's spotting system doesn't really cooperate well with historical light/weather conditions.

Seems that the game's spotting system doesn't really cooperate well with historical light/weather conditions.

That is a subject that has been debated for many years by forumites. Although I don't think that the scenario itself is "too dark". It looks like a blacked out pre-dawn village to my old eyes. 

Apparently, unbeknownst to historians, Peiper was actually a member of Equity. He did a deal with Gerry and Sylvia Anderson to play Captain Scarlet, gets killed by the Mysterons in an episode called "Jabos" only to reappear in "Duel in the Mist", sadly his mates weren't so lucky so he is all on his Jack Jones. in his half-track.

As for the actual battle, it is going slowly and there have already been a couple "Friendly Fire" incidents.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

On 12/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

As for the actual battle, it is going slowly and there have already been a couple "Friendly Fire" incidents.

While they're truly devastating against enemy infantry, I'm finding that the single greatest threat to my infantry on the battlefield are my own Wirbelwinds 😅

While they're truly devastating against enemy infantry, I'm finding that the single greatest threat to my infantry on the battlefield are my own Wirbelwinds 😅

Luckily those early friendly fire outbreaks only involved MGs. It was the church that got most of the Wirbelwind fire. The old puritan iconoclast within me felt no qualms about blasting it to bits, along with other nearby buildings.

"Targnon" - Another great map to fight on. For those of you who know your history this stretch of road saw the limit of Peiper's advance. I managed a Minor Victory but I lost five Panthers and two of my runners have lost their Main Guns, so not really a victory to crow about.

OK now I'm off to look for some Benzedrine to put in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine. No, hang on a minute, that should be look for some Benzin.

23 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

"Targnon" - Another great map to fight on. For those of you who know your history this stretch of road saw the limit of Peiper's advance. I managed a Minor Victory but I lost five Panthers and two of my runners have lost their Main Guns, so not really a victory to crow about.

OK now I'm off to look for some Benzedrine to put in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine. No, hang on a minute, that should be look for some Benzin.

On to Au Rosier -a different challenge altogether, and with only a few Puma recon units, much smaller scale than anything else. 

Just finished "Ster way", it was liking fighting two base game missions in one battle. And I don't mind admitting too tough for me. With Ami arty raining down on my position at the bridge I hit "Cease Fire" with an hour still on the clock and managed a Minor Defeat to stay in the campaign. 

My own arty seemed to be pretty rubbish. One FO scored the grand total of 1 wounded and 1 Jeep, whilst the other got 8 wounded and 1 Jeep. Ho hum.

OK "Stationary at Stavelot Station" awaits.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

14 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Just finished "Ster way", it was liking fighting two base game missions in one battle. And I don't mind admitting too tough for me. With Ami arty raining down on my position at the bridge I hit "Cease Fire" with an hour still on the clock and managed a Minor Defeat to stay in the campaign. 

My own arty seemed to be pretty rubbish. One FO scored the grand total of 1 wounded and 1 Jeep, whilst the other got 8 wounded and 1 Jeep. Ho hum.

OK "Stationary at Stavelot Station" awaits.

it is one of the toughest scenarios in the campaign.

It took me 3 or 4 attempts to come up with tactics to win without heavy losses..and I knew where the enemy were!

The Ami arty can be devastating. Whilst your own is very much not.

It can give adequate smoke cover, but you need the tanks with HE and machine gun fire to suppress and remove the threat of the the TD/ATs and machine guns of the Amis before committing the Grenadier/FSJ. It can be tricky to achieve local fire superiority without bunching the troops making them vulnerable.

15 minutes ago, theforger said:

t took me 3 or 4 attempts to come up with tactics to win without heavy losses..and I knew where the enemy were!

It can give adequate smoke cover, but you need the tanks with HE and machine gun fire to suppress and remove the threat of the the TD/ATs and machine guns of the Amis before committing the Grenadier/FSJ. It can be tricky to achieve local fire superiority without bunching the troops making them vulnerable.

It's reassuring to know that it took you 3 or 4 attempts at it.

My tanks did perform well when it came to dealing with the Ami vehicles and guns, although one of the King Tigers got it's radio and optics shredding by an AA gun. Also, the number of HE rounds was beginning to run low for most of my tanks.

Possibly the best part of the fight was having a mortar round take out an M10. 

"Stationary" was pretty much that. Again my arty performed poorly, and by the time I'd taken the first objective I'd already taken more casualties than I was happy with. So another Minor Defeat.

"Chewin'" was much more to my taste. A battlefield littered with Amis including the cheeky sods who showed up in a captured Stummel.

I've just finished the TF McGeorge mission. It was another really enjoyable battle, played out in the fog on a beautiful map. I couldn't quite force all the Amis out of the woods on one side of the objective zone, so I had to settle for a "tactical Victory".

Next up "Closing the Door", which I'm already familiar with have given it a go before Crimble.

"KG X Factor" What a slaughter! I managed to get one Panther to the bridge but all my other tanks were knocked out, and my infantry lay in heaps across the battlefield. But, it was still enough for a Minor Defeat, which means I'm still in the game.

Of course, it pretty much goes without saying this was played out on another great map..

12 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

"KG X Factor" What a slaughter! I managed to get one Panther to the bridge but all my other tanks were knocked out, and my infantry lay in heaps across the battlefield. But, it was still enough for a Minor Defeat, which means I'm still in the game.

Of course, it pretty much goes without saying this was played out on another great map..

I've enjoyed reading your scenario reviews. How do you complete these so fast?

3 hours ago, Simcoe said:

I've enjoyed reading your scenario reviews. How do you complete these so fast?

I'm glad that you are enjoying my take on this excellent campaign. As for getting through it quite quickly, it is a result of not being able to get out and about as much as I would like.

Next up will be "No Prizes at Noupre". Elizabeth looks up from the fermenting vessel full of Whitehall No Bollocks Ale and mumbles, "Who needs prizes when I've got this on the go?"

21 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Skorzeny's troops don't make another appearance in my campaign, probably for the best :(

The Ami proximity fuse arty had a devastating affect on the Grenadiers.

https://mikesresearch.com/2019/12/29/malmedy-1944/

51 minutes ago, theforger said:

Skorzeny's troops don't make another appearance in my campaign, probably for the best :(

This will be one that I try again as a stand-alone battle for sure. Although that will probably be some months away when it is less fresh in the memory.

As for "No Prizes" I've only just made contact with the Amis, and will take it very slowly.