Rollbahn D - Day3 and beyond.

I don't want to confuse people who are already making posts on the original thread about the early missions from this campaign. But if anyone is taking the option to begin the campaign on Day 3 please feel free to share your views here.

As for me, it is two played, one Tactical Victory, one Total Victory. Stavelot awaits.

great stuff...and the option is there so why not.

It should have been worth looking at Then and Now for the Poteau map. And maybe behind the German position at Recht to see the Kaiserbaracke crossroads sign in situ.

Stavelot map is based on this from 30th Div.

http://www.oldhickory30th.com/Stavelot PDF Map File.pdf

And Timo Worsts book on Knittel. And a lot of postcards.

The map features 6 times in the battle and is the largest. It's quite tricky to add increasing amounts of battle damage and shell craters in a consistent way.

It would help a lot in campaign building if this feature was in the next version.

The 1./Zug of Panthers is lower in number in this scenario than historically but I needed to ensure at least 1 Panther was available from that Zug for the up coming scenarios.

It is a great map. Similar to the base game one of course, but with enough changes to make it well worth looking at on it's own. Whilst fighting the battle I'm finding the red-lettered Landmarks a little bit distracting, as you've gone to the trouble of including so many of them, so I have turned them off for the duration and will take another look at them again later.

I've just finished "Trois is A Crowd", Another excellent map, (part of which featured in @theforger's Christmas offering some weeks ago).  Although I secured a "Major Victory" with one of my Panthers losing it's main gun things could have gone better.

I'm now onto a mission called "Jabos!" Sounds ominous.

Peiper is dead! Ooops.

The bunker he was in took a direct hit with a bomb on the very turn that my last tank exited the map. My only other casualties were the crew of one of my flak wagons.  Three P-47s were shot down, but with their commander dead my men are in mourning.

Now it is back to Stavelot

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Peiper is dead! Ooops.

The bunker he was in took a direct hit with a bomb on the very turn that my last tank exited the map. My only other casualties were the crew of one of my flak wagons.  Three P-47s were shot down, but with their commander dead my men are in mourning.

Now it is back to Stavelot

now that never happened in testing! I thought tucking him away in that bunker he'd be nice and safe. 😱

32 minutes ago, theforger said:

now that never happened in testing! I thought tucking him away in that bunker he'd be nice and safe. 😱

Just happened to me as well. Plane early in the scenario bombed a half track that was passing in front of the bunker. Explosion killed him. I'll admit that I did revert to a previous save, as in this case it seems like he's intended to be in an invincible position (and not supposed to be killable)

2 hours ago, theforger said:

looks like I'm not as smart as I thought I was.

No surprise there, may as well had him stood on the bridge with a target on his back.

He is never a unit objective but still...

The most galling thing is that I didn't even see the bomb strike. I was busy watching the last two tanks go into the Exit Zone. It was only after hitting Cease Fire that I found out that I had sustained 8 KIA in addition to the wounded Flak crew. So I clicked on the map and panned the camera around to find a large ball of dust where the bunker used too be. 

2 hours ago, evilman222 said:

Well I totally screwed up the end of that scenario lmao. Exited the tigers, but there was so much time left that I figured there was another wave coming. Ended up losing two AA crews before time expired, only to realize I could have ceasefired twenty minutes earlier. Oops.

"To lose one AA crew could be considered a misfortune, to lose two sounds like carelessness." as Lady Bracknell almost said.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

22 hours ago, evilman222 said:

Well I totally screwed up the end of that scenario lmao. Exited the tigers, but there was so much time left that I figured there was another wave coming. Ended up losing two AA crews before time expired, only to realize I could have ceasefired twenty minutes earlier. Oops.

At least you only lost two. In my game those P-47 pilots were really gunning for the AAA and killed every single one of my flak vehicles and lost no aircraft. They didn't go for the tanks or grenadiers at all.

1 hour ago, Bearstronaut said:

At least you only lost two. In my game those P-47 pilots were really gunning for the AAA and killed every single one of my flak vehicles and lost no aircraft. They didn't go for the tanks or grenadiers at all.

That sounds like rotten luck. I did shift my Flak vehicles just a bit during the Set-up Phase perhaps it just gave them a few seconds extra to spot the P-47s.

46 minutes ago, theforger said:

that's some effort.

It kicks off with a big one day 4...Duel in the Mist.

Do you have a highlight so far?

Just started this mission, and I must say that I prefer your version of Stoumont to the vanilla one. The vanilla one might be a bit nicer cosmetically, but some of the minor details and lines of sight on your version allow for more interesting tactical options and more predictable lines of sight.