Logs and corduroy roads issue

I'm trying to create a small corduroy road across a marsh and thought that the logs would be perfect. But for some reason they don't stay together after you X out to save it. I made a perfect corduroy road with about a dozen or so logs. But when I went back to view it only about a handful are left and not in any order. I tried several times but it seems that you just can't put that many close together. I used both # 1 and 2 separately and in various combinations with no difference.

Is there any reason why they do that?

You're right that some Flavour Objects will jump around after placement which indicates that there is clearly something under the hood which is saying - 'you can't do that.'  I suspect that the reason will be something to do with the code or limitations of what is possible in the code rather than any conscious intent to deny an editor's ability to use Flavour Objects.

They seem to get bumped after saving if they are too close together (in game engine terms). That happens with all of the Flavor Objects, and I suspect it has to do with how their general properties are tracked as a particular size and value in blocking violent actions taken on those behind them (doesn't provide concealment, but provides cover).

I made the start of an Ost sack/West sack scenario (on the lower part of the Sinimäed map) that didn't make the cut for F&R, and was trying for the same log effect. I also tried modding the underlying ground tile of some road tile that would be solid in "mud" conditions to be corduroy log road, and that seemed to be better suited when blended with surrounding ground.

Busy as heck at the moment, but I may have saved that somewhere.

1 hour ago, benpark said:

Busy as heck at the moment, but I may have saved that somewhere.

I have a ways to go yet on the map but would appreciate it if you can find it.

7 hours ago, Combatintman said:

You're right that some Flavour Objects will jump around after placement which indicates that there is clearly something under the hood which is saying - 'you can't do that.'  I suspect that the reason will be something to do with the code or limitations of what is possible in the code rather than any conscious intent to deny an editor's ability to use Flavour Objects.

After a few attempts I was thinking the same thing.

try this log3 flavor object I made and let me know...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/liaizby2tf7c6od/log3.mdr?dl=0

In my testing it seemed to behave properly. it is 6 logs slapped together like a raft so you could use multiples to get your 12 18 24 etc.

EDIT: shucks, it still seems to get quirky between loads of the game. It may be too unstable to trust.

If you choose not to use it, no problem. Took me like 5 minutes...

Edited by kohlenklau

4 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

In my testing it seemed to behave properly. it is 6 logs slapped together like a raft so you could use multiples to get your 12 18 24 etc.

In testing it using just one seems to be Ok as far as opening and saving it then going back but using two touching each other one goes away. Using 2 with a space between them they seem to stay.

Maybe making one with 12 logs would work. If I could figure out how to get a mdr file to Blender I might try it. I tried using Blender but I can't seem to find a path to open any of those files. There's plenty of information on how to use it but I can't even find a way to get the file there.

19 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

There's plenty of information on how to use it but I can't even find a way to get the file there.

There is a plug-in that you must download and it only works with a certain version of Blender. I will now go to the CM forum thread about this issue and tag you so you see the info...

15 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are you sure that vehicles will move over these objects, rather than around them?

Just did a test with a Tiger and a Kubelwagon and both went over it with no problems and the logs stayed there from the scenario editor in Master Maps to the scenario file and didn't disappear or act weird wen the vehicles went over them.