Jump to content

How big is a square on the map in the editor?


Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

For example how many squares wide would a major road on the Eastern Front?

1 (one) square wide... I don't know whether the Soviets got round to building many really big highways, but even an autobahn of the time (which I understand was a fairly revolutionary roadbuilding concept) would be two road tile lines running parallel, and with the size of Russia/Ukraine/Belorus/[whereveryourscenarioputativelytakesplace], the chances of your couple of km on a side map containing any are quite small... :)

Unless you're working on a historical map that does have such a thing...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe you are getting on the saddle for the first team? Excellent!

The way I do it is to lay down my terrain type(s) under the road first, stuff you expect to see on the shoulders of the road but still within the 8x8. Then you place your roads. If you use the footpath type it is very subtle and not wide at all. Another handy thing for tracking where you are on a map is to plop down a temporary building. You'll see it in 2D but also see it in 3D so you don't get lost. Have fun!

EDIT: map making is really fun for me. But of course I still goof it up. I can forget to zoom out and be working on only one part of a map for a while. Then "dolp!", I zoom out and see all the parts I have been neglecting. Or another famous foot in the mouth I do is the paint brush on max and you forget it is, you think you go to put one little sand tile and it plops down a huge grid and is NOT undoable with ctrl-z. If you are lucky you JUST saved and maybe can just exit but did you JUST save?  HAVE FUN!!!

Edited by kohlenklau
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

Maybe you are getting on the saddle for the first team?

Yep! It's not that hard but a little time consuming but will go faster once I know what I'm really doing...😊 

I know what I wanted to do and looking through a bunch of the ready made maps and they just weren't what I wanted. Getting the right map for the overlay was the hardest part but made now I'm ready to start putting things on the map. Still have a lot to learn but found some really good tutorials on youtube and some great hints in this forum.

 

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

Another handy thing for tracking where you are on a map is to plop down a temporary building. You'll see it in 2D but also see it in 3D so you don't get lost.

Great Idea!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

The way I do it is to lay down my terrain type(s) under the road first, stuff you expect to see on the shoulders of the road but still within the 8x8. Then you place your roads. If you use the footpath type it is very subtle and not wide at all. Another handy thing for tracking where you are on a map is to plop down a temporary building. You'll see it in 2D but also see it in 3D so you don't get lost. Have fun!

Great tip, I am not great following YT videos on the subject. I look for good quality PDF instructions and feel BF falls short compared of how to play the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of additional notes to @kohlenklau's comments above:

If you want a Footpath through a forested area to be traversable by vehicles, it is best to use only Light Forest (or other tiles that vehicles can enter) in any tile that contains your path.....While Footpaths (or Streams) normally make all manner of impassible terrain including cliffs (& Deep Marsh Tiles) passible, the 'Doodads' in Heavy Forest seem to be able to block the path for vehicles, particularly on diagonal sections.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...