Scenario Operational map

6plus1SMC

Hi

I am in the proces of making my first scenario to CM in this version. I did make scenarios earlier for ASL and the earlier CM-version. 

I DL'ed the Official-Briefing-Graphics-Templates-CMFI_3 and I am learning Gimp as I go.

But I am having trouble with the briefing graphics.

In particular with the operations map - the file IS 702x224 PX but it still looks like this. ( see attached) I have tried to make the picture wider - no luck. I still get the discolored part to the left.

Best regards Morten

Copenhagen - Denmark

Combat Mission Red Thunder Screenshot 2021.12.01 - 18.50.55.91.png

@BornGinger Thank you🙂 

To all:

Now - next problem - how to make tactical map usefull to the players? As I am not being at graphic wizard. 

Or should I just go by text, descriping the situation?

Your thoughts are highly valued.

And BTW does the equivalent of the old "provingground" still exist somewhere. The place you could get you scenario wetted with some kind (mostly) advice?

Best Regards

Morten

Edited by 6plus1SMC

"Useful" is:

• Own force composition and location, including where any reinforcements are arriving.
  • Any known or suspected enemy locations (that you want the player to know about, obviously).
  • The objectives, so that they can be parsed relative to the above
  • A big ol' arrow. Everyone likes arrows.

@Combatintman Thank you - some interesting reads - it's not easy to make everybody happy, it seems. So I think  I'll make a breifing in the style I would like to read myself. And have one or two more read it - in case something obvious is forgotten or very unclear.

@chuckdyke Thank you for the YT video and the interesting link.

23 hours ago, 6plus1SMC said:

And BTW does the equivalent of the old "provingground" still exist somewhere.

The Proving Ground is gone now. What some people do is to ask on the forum for people to playtest their scenario. I'm pretty sure you'd find people who would be glad to volunteer and also would be happy to give you advices on possible changes which might make your battle more interesting.

@BornGinger Good advice - I'll risk it when I get a little further down the line in designing. I will not feature it as anything but a HtH scenario - yet - at least.

I am hesitent to venture into the scripts aspects and also I feel that some HTH only scenarios is needed. I play HtH 98% of the time and having a hard time to find some good games to be played that way.

best regards

Morten

The AI-scripting isn't that difficult if you plan for it. One thing that helps is to take screenshots of your 2D-scenario map and copy-paste them into one picture which can be used as the image overlay picture. On this new image overlay picture you can write down the moves and actions of the AI-groups which will make the AI scripting a bit quicker and easier as you will see that info when you do the scripting. Below is an image which shows an example of what the new image overlay picture can look like. AI-scripting.jpg

That's the system I used for the AI stuff in FR. It is my most reliable method for planning coordinated AI attacks - the castle attack in the German campaign is a good example of the AI exhibiting some sense of order while attacking due to being able to see all orders. It's akin to BornGinger's image, but with additional color-coding based upon movement lines, and additional unit symbols. The rest is very similar.

I have a Photoshop template I can upload for my version of the method, if people are interested. The map is desaturated, as I just needed the terrain context for the orders. You could certainly do this with other programs, and just save it as an .bmp Overlay. The main thing you need is Layers, for moving all of the graphic stuff around, at will.

The ideal solution from my perspective (with the Editor as it currently exists, without an insane amount of retooling) would be a toggle that would show all AI Plan orders on-screen at once. Color coded by AI order.

No spoilers below, this is a discarded AI Plan - the Castle scenario overlay. Triggers are the lines.

110505579_Castlebattle2.jpg.063a52d9e194340b6d4fa880160fde09.thumb.jpg.25f8ac66508edfa649914fa84d69bc0d.jpg

Edited by benpark

2 hours ago, benpark said:

The ideal solution from my perspective (with the Editor as it currently exists, without an insane amount of retooling) would be a toggle that would show all AI Plan orders on-screen at once. Color coded by AI order.

That would be awesome.

TBH the ability to see both sides' units simultaneously in a 3d Preview Mode would be great too.

3 hours ago, benpark said:

Triggers are the lines.

Oh, yes. I forgot to draw trigger lines on my picture in the previous post. Something that also can be of help is to mark or write down height differences on certain positions in the special editor overlay picture (called image overlay in my post above) which will be of help when one wants to have an AI-group to move to a location, like a hill, where it can have some concealment from the player's troops. This way it isn't necessary to use the E-key so much.

So when one wants to see those AI movements and actions it's as easy as to use the O-key to make the overlay picture become visible below the 2D-scenario map in the editor's AI-tab.

Slight spoiler for RT:FR German campaign below....

I call this system P.A.I.N. - "Planning Artificial Intelligence Navigator".

The image above was actually the first iteration. This is more how it ended up, with missing elements like "Wait For" Trigger links added, with linkages showing in green icons (these should also have green lines between the linked forces).

The 6,7,8,9 (spare order numbers) at the top show the method - each graphic element is on its own Photoshop Layer, and is drag-able across the map to wherever needed. Movement orders are drawn on (holding Shift - always a renders a straight line between two points).

The Trigger graphic also had the color changed from Yellow (in the legend) to Orange, as it was getting lost in the general area the move orders occupy (the yellow areas).

Numbers are the Order number.

Designations with a letter and number in yellow are the AI Groups. These are placed on every move, so that it easy to see who is where, when.

The yellow areas are move destinations. Now, I just use the AI Group number, as it is less visual clutter. I will probably redo this, a bit - as it would be good to have the branch symbol (NATO) displayed throughout their movement to better track who is where concurrently.

Red numbers are approximate Exit times.

You could also add what formation belongs to which AI order on the Unit Overlay, as it can get complex with mixed, large forces where the AI assignments are maxed out (though I/we could certainly handle another 16 AI Groups!).

This system requires a knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, and use of Layers in particular. It is a good deal of work in Photoshop (less, with the template), but less work TABing through the Editor with everything relatively clear in the Image Overlay.

1357159077_Castlebattle2a.jpg.e9ee70950c1cd7e2d6c76c8d3453fc9b.thumb.jpg.5574967633393bc6a4b9a2a69206d1ad.jpg

Example (not the one above), as seen in the Editor Overlay. This example is lacking a good deal of what is seen above.

697479179_CombatMissionRedThunderScreenshot2019_11.26-10_41_57_53.jpg.1aa33080dcd59f51e49a3dfe1ec9e00b.thumb.jpg.7038094840c5717d5c4df27ea023dba0.jpg

Edited by benpark