PBEM++ Feedback

Scorpii

Some overall impressions regarding PBEM++ now that I've gone through about 4 or 5 games, mostly open challenges.

1. The inability to communicate in-game with the other players without using another program such as Discord or Steam is a huge issue. You can get around the issue by re-naming the file your sending back. PBEM++ was, in my eyes, a way to allow for more open games or challenges without the need for an outside medium but, instead, it leaves newer players confused or they'll have to ask what's going on. Or if I want to set-up rules or conditions with someone else, there's no way for me to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love how PBEM++ works, but for me, sometimes I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a match or communicating outside a game. I get this is the first iteration of PBEM++ in Combat Mission, but it is an issue.

2. Unable to see the end-match result and points at the end of the match. If you call a cease-fire and send the file back to the other person and somehow communicate you'd like a cease-fire, you won't see the result yourself. I assume that the other player sees the end-game results but I don't know because PBEM++ will automatically delete the match regardless. I've had this happen in all of the matches I called the cease-fire in. I've not once been able to see the results of a cease-fire and I would like to at least be able to see that.

3. Allow the game to remember my Matrix login details. Please. 

Conclusion: I love PBEM++ and its iteration. But these are like the top three biggest annoyances and concerns I have towards the system in creating a more "wider-audience" friendly introduction into CM. Am I saying I want CM to be acceptable to everyone who's interested? No, the series is always going to be niche. I just want it to be easier to set-up public games and I'm leaving this thread as a steady community feedback and I hope the BFC team at least takes our notes forward.

Strong agree with the first one, it's really nice not to have to shuffle files back and forth manually and it's nice to have the ability to just play a random game with someone but it's a bit underbaked, due to engine limitations presumably. There's not even a way to see if you're going to be on the BLUFOR or REDFOR side before you join the match unless the person you're playing with is nice enough to mention it in the filename, if they even know that's possible. I was hoping for a full, modern looking server browser, maybe even a way for a person to list their own skill level so people of similar skill could be matched together. I can only assume all of that is just a limitation of the game engine and it would have been added if it was feasible. Still, it's certainly an improvement over the old way of doing things.

49 minutes ago, Scorpii said:

Some overall impressions regarding PBEM++ now that I've gone through about 4 or 5 games, mostly open challenges.

1. The inability to communicate in-game with the other players without using another program such as Discord or Steam is a huge issue. You can get around the issue by re-naming the file your sending back. PBEM++ was, in my eyes, a way to allow for more open games or challenges without the need for an outside medium but, instead, it leaves newer players confused or they'll have to ask what's going on. Or if I want to set-up rules or conditions with someone else, there's no way for me to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love how PBEM++ works, but for me, sometimes I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a match or communicating outside a game. I get this is the first iteration of PBEM++ in Combat Mission, but it is an issue.

2. Unable to see the end-match result and points at the end of the match. If you call a cease-fire and send the file back to the other person and somehow communicate you'd like a cease-fire, you won't see the result yourself. I assume that the other player sees the end-game results but I don't know because PBEM++ will automatically delete the match regardless. I've had this happen in all of the matches I called the cease-fire in. I've not once been able to see the results of a cease-fire and I would like to at least be able to see that.

3. Allow the game to remember my Matrix login details. Please. 

Conclusion: I love PBEM++ and its iteration. But these are like the top three biggest annoyances and concerns I have towards the system in creating a more "wider-audience" friendly introduction into CM. Am I saying I want CM to be acceptable to everyone who's interested? No, the series is always going to be niche. I just want it to be easier to set-up public games and I'm leaving this thread as a steady community feedback and I hope the BFC team at least takes our notes forward.

Good points. I agree with most. 

Friendly reminder though: PBEM+++ is Slitherine's. Any requests for improvements to their system should be directed to them. 

My 2 issues apart from what was already mentioned:

1) inability to revisit things due to inability to retrieve the PBEM files (unless I use an inconvenient trick that @Scorpiishowed me). I think the turn files should be browsable with http in a web browser to download what you need.

2) no Mac version. That is quite the surprise, and not a good one.

The issue with the second person never seeing the end screen is strange, how can that have passed beta testing? The mechanism throws away the entire game one half turn too early.

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Also that they include every game. I hope it is not only for the Cold War fans. 

Supposed to make to the rest of the titles that get sold by Slitherene. Except for Mac versions ( which won’t be sold by Slitherene  or include PBEM+++ — boo, hiss) 

Dave

37 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

Supposed to make to the rest of the titles that get sold by Slitherene. Except for Mac versions ( which won’t be sold by Slitherene  or include PBEM+++ — boo, hiss) 

Dave

Reminds me to say that I'm not amused that Mac  versions on Steam are probably not just delayed but won't come. Makes the game look worse on Steam.