First Mission Courage Conquers Review (Spoilers)

I thought this was a really interesting mission that was worth discussing.

I'm not sure of the author's intention but my interpretation is that this mission is all about forcing you to play to the strengths of an armored task force.

Your first inclination (or atleast mine) was to avoid the scary open area on the left(see picture: red marks are enemy positions, blue are my advances and overwatch positions) and clear out the forest to the right, then create a base of fire from the tree line. 

I tried this first and the AI triggers are excellent. Even using small teams to identify targets for the tanks lead to mounting casualties and and slowed down the entire operation. The Germans were constantly retreating and redeploying to ambush me again. This path also reduces the effectiveness of your machine guns and mortars which are half your platoon firepower!

Instead, I used my opening artillery to pound the hill on the far back and sent a platoon to clear it out. For the other areas marked with blue arrows I softened the positions with mortar fire until I was sure there was no more resistance and moved in. This was about the time that I called in my massive artillery on the town and other observable German positions. After the artillery was empty my tanks could fell a building in a single shell if not already destroyed and the surrender came soon after the first troops entered the objective.

Overall this scenario was one of those that hooks you for a week as you figure out the best way to crack it. 

I might try more of these reviews if people think it makes for interesting discussion.

Untitled.png

The way I dealt with it was as follows. *****Spoilers***** On the left was the approach route for the armor with some infantry to aid spotters. Main infantry pushed on the right. You start with scouts they scouted both approach routes. One Priest with a 105mm is available I called a mission on the three touch objectives. If the scouts HQ encounters contacts he can adjust his delayed fire mission on any target of opportunity. Watch the experience of the spotter who arrives later in the game (he is green). Assign to him the KT on the back. Don't be in a hurry to commit your artillery too soon you need to watch your armor's HE. Happy gaming. PS Take note of your warning orders in the briefing.

Edited by chuckdyke

That's interesting. how far to the top right did you take your infantry? I tried several approaches and didn't get much success.

The hardest part about this one for me was how fast artillery was called in by the enemy. There are some places where you can't stand in place for longer than 5 minutes before spotting rounds start hitting.

15 minutes ago, Simcoe said:

That's interesting. how far to the top right did you take your infantry?

The best defense of a jeep is its speed. I put the HQ in the radio jeep and the less stellar of his scouts in the halftrack. His task was finding a good spot for the green FO who comes later as reinforcement (on the far left). The two jeeps driving fast (hunting is too slow). Towards the touch objectives you plotted an arty mission on. In my case they received contacts (the two jeeps found shelter in the shrub on the far right) the HQ adjusted fire of the 105mm on the area of the new contacts. Tip artillery is the key to win this mission, call for light and make your mission long. That way you can exploit targets of opportunity. The infantry, one platoon engaged the enemy contacts (Make sure you do this once the 105's drop on their positions. One platoon advances to the touch objective. The way I tackled it, route to the main objective is via the touch objectives. My armor beat the enemy armor with no problem if you use the formula attack any German AFV with a platoon of allied armor. Never ever duel let them react on a 75 mm Sherman the 76mm Sherman will knock it out. As it is an attack attrition is the way to victory by using combined arms. You have 81 mm halftracks 60 mm mortars with two 105mm priests. Experience is the best teacher. Knowing when to lift a barrage to permit your infantry to close in for an assault. Use the 105 mm Sherman as a fireman if you don't get fire superiority with your infantry. There is some risk of bogging on the right.