The Combat Mission: Cold War v1.03 patch has been released

BFCElvis

Here's the discussion of the issue in the CM:SF2 forum:

It just occured to me that the CTS Core File was built with CM:SF1 and there are subtle differences in the newer game, could this somehow be a factor?  I seem to recall that the reinforcement 'US Navy Seals' arrives at the end of the turn that crashed. 

However it still didn't crash on my (fairly powerful) PC.  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Just ran through the whole thing counting down to zero. I made moves, but I didn't try to fight the scenario. But no crash, nothing out of normal, using the file @Sgt.Squarehead provided above. 

Those saved games do crash at the same point for me, so I'm not sure what's going on. The SEAL team reinforcement came in without "drama"

Dave

2 hours ago, Halmbarte said:

I actually have 2. Both exhibit the same behavior of crashing to desktop when hitting go at 30 minutes remaining. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcwbp7hs78e7plq/Ashsh al-Dababir (The Hornets' Nest) 31.bts?dl=0

I can confirm that this reliably crashes on my Mac in SF2. I have 64 GB RAM, so it isn't out of main memory.

It crashes to desktop without the diagnostics dialog box coming up.

15 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

There's also a few duplicates of scenarios because of slight name changes. You can figure out which are the old ones to be deleted by looking at the file dates. The new ones are all dated November. Old duplicates are dated April.

I hadn't thought of using the metadata in finder to sort out which ones to keep. Thanks for triggering that. 

H

On 11/27/2021 at 12:15 AM, Scorpii said:

ETA on the Steam version being updated?

For anyone wondering in the case of Black Sea patch 2.16, it took them 32 days (after it was released here) to push the update on Steam.

So you can expect patch 1.03 sometimes in December. Maybe Christmas?

Edited by Bufo

1 hour ago, Bufo said:

For anyone wondering in the case of Black Sea patch 2.16, it took them 32 days (after it was released here) to push the update on Steam.

So you can expect patch 1.03 sometimes in December. Maybe Christmas?

The Slitherine community guy told me that he's going to try to hurry them along.

18 hours ago, Kevin2k said:

The new patches v1.02 v1.03 have three updated vehicle models.One being btr-70k.mdr. The command variant of the BTR-70. But as far as I can tell, this model is not used by the game at all. The command variant shows up as a normal BTR-70?

I find the same problem for Black Sea, where Ukraine has these vehicles.

Can anyone confirm?

On 11/27/2021 at 5:26 PM, KungFuTreachery said:

Yes, please see attached. It appears this only applies to the Ride or Die campaign, not to the Standard campaign, which still has the full combat recon patrol.

I just applied patch 1.03 on the non-steam version, but now I see in the main menu it is still on v1.01 for some reason...

e: I see, I forgot that when browsing to the correct install folder the installer adds /combat mission cold war at the end of the file path automatically.

1171381098_CombatMissionColdWarScreenshot2021_11.27-17_23_49_29.thumb.jpg.76e63114a74cdc5a610042bca193bc46.jpg

A fixed version of this campaign can now be found on the Patches page.

https://www.battlefront.com/patches

29 minutes ago, dbsapp said:

What is the difference between the updated campaigns in pathed folder and "old" campaigns?

And why are they not included in the patch, but should be downloaded separately? 

Differences: 

Soviet Standard Campaign - corrected errors in briefing texts

March or Die - while trying to tweak the campaign, based on customer feedback, we re-compiled it incorrectly leading it to be unplayable.  

These errors we picked up after the patch.  For March or Die, it was the patch version that was broken (the original version at release back in Apr worked fine, if needed some tweaking).  So we are linking both fixed campaigns.  The good news is that these updated versions made it into the Matrix and Steam patches, so only BFC customers were affected.

I'm having the same issue in the latest patch as I did in the previous version.

After logging in for PBEM, I created a QB after which I check to see if it's posted on the challenges page only having to re-login to the auto-PBEM and my challenge hasn't been posted. 

Same for a challenge that I accepted, I login, play the first file, then somehow I'm logged off. I check to see if the file is sent but I have to re-login and the file hasn't been sent.

EDIT: I should mention this is both the steam version and BFC version.

Edited by nathangun

3 hours ago, nathangun said:

I'm having the same issue in the latest patch as I did in the previous version.

After logging in for PBEM, I created a QB after which I check to see if it's posted on the challenges page only having to re-login to the auto-PBEM and my challenge hasn't been posted. 

Same for a challenge that I accepted, I login, play the first file, then somehow I'm logged off. I check to see if the file is sent but I have to re-login and the file hasn't been sent.

EDIT: I should mention this is both the steam version and BFC version.

This should be logged with the Matrix helpdesk.

Thanks for posting these little tips, Sir John, or I don't think I would have patched right.

You guys don't know the true fun you are actually missing.  In present parlance, to patch means to replace files.  But in the good old days, a patch utility would replace sections of bytes within files.  Why do it that way?  Well, you can see that some compressed resource files can be quite large and those things called MODEMs were slow.  So, replacing bytes was bandwidth efficient.

We actually wrote the programs that they looked like this.

----

CODE

CODE

CODE

CODE

EMPTY

EMPTY

EMPTY

EMPTY

-----

We would leave a patch area in the EXE which was just 00000000000000000000000000000s.

A patch of the EXE would look like this ...

-----

CODE

CODE

JUMP TO MORTARFIX

RETURNFROMMORTARFIX:

CODE

CODE

CODE

MORTARFIX:

FIXED INSTRUCTION 1

FIXED INSTRUCTION 2

FIXED INSTRUCTION 3

JUMP TO RETURNFROMMORTARFIX

-------------

This is what it really meant to PATCH.  Today, we semi-reinstall a program.

Edited by markshot

10 hours ago, markshot said:

You guys don't know the true fun you are actually missing.  In present parlance, to patch means to replace files.  But in the good old days, a patch utility would replace sections of bytes within files.  Why do it that way?  Well, you can see that some compressed resource files can be quite large and those things called MODEMs were slow.  So, replacing bytes was bandwidth efficient.

Hee hee, yep.

Nostalgia is nice and all but in the past compiling was expensive and centralized so we also used to so hand alter assembly code during debugging so we could "test" fixes we planned to make in the source code to save round trips of compile and test since it took so long to get a new build on to the test machine.

Yeah, it was cool and all but I never want to go back to those days.

Oh and "no one is ever going to need more that 360K for a program" :D

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I patched to version 1.03 and now the game no longer starts. I just get a black screen for 5-10 seconds and then back to desktop. No error message or anything. I remember having to do something to get Red Thunder to work with DPI scaling or stuff... Tried compatibility mode for windows 7/8/10 whatever with no luck.

Running Windows 11 with an RTX 3080 card and a 1440p monitor so I guess I just have to face the fact that an engine that is 15 years old no longer works on a rig like that...?

But Red Thunder starts after a black screen for 5-10 seconds at least. And Cold War worked when I ran Windows 10 - nut I think I had to do something to get it running there as well that I cannot remember.

11 hours ago, mazex said:

OK - I patched to version 1.03 and now the game no longer starts. I just get a black screen for 5-10 seconds and then back to desktop. No error message or anything. I remember having to do something to get Red Thunder to work with DPI scaling or stuff... Tried compatibility mode for windows 7/8/10 whatever with no luck.

Running Windows 11 with an RTX 3080 card and a 1440p monitor so I guess I just have to face the fact that an engine that is 15 years old no longer works on a rig like that...?

But Red Thunder starts after a black screen for 5-10 seconds at least. And Cold War worked when I ran Windows 10 - nut I think I had to do something to get it running there as well that I cannot remember.

Might be something with windows 11?

ther than that I'm also on a 3080 and 1440p (Win10) and 1.03 runs without issue.

17 hours ago, mazex said:

This is similar to the (unresolved) issue I posted about. I’m using Win 10 via Boot Camp on the latest Intel Mac with a Radeon Pro XT 5700. I never get to the black screen, however… I get a few seconds of the Windows “thinking” wheel and then… nothing. No icon ever shows up in the tray.

For me, the other titles take 10s or so to fully open, but the icons do show up in the tray while waiting.

I also tried running in various compatibility and resolution modes to no avail.

I also deleted my CW install and did a full reinstall from BFC. This also did not work.

I filed a ticket, but haven’t received any help. Sucks not being able to play a game I paid good money for.