The Combat Mission: Cold War v1.03 patch has been released

BFCElvis

5 hours ago, OnePingOnly said:

I’ve downloaded the Windows patch and installed in the correct directory (same as the original install) under my Boot Camp drive (on my Mac). I can see that various files have been updated, but the game won’t run after the install. I’ve tried running as admin and even re-activating, but the game won’t run. No error message - just nothing happens.

Any help as to what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

I've been running it in W10 on Parallels on my Mac and it worked fine, so I'm not sure.

1) Is this W10 or W11?

2) If W11, did you recently update to W11 and was CW working in W11 before the patch?

3) If neither of those apply, the first thing I'd try is to delete your current CW installation, download the full installer version and see if that runs. I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but perhaps something got corrupted in the patch process or download.

Dave

I bought the version off Matrix, it's still on 1.02 and no patch on My Page on Matrix. 

I encountered a nasty critical bug with the game failing to overwrite save games, instead creating TMP files in the install folder. Just wondering if this issue is limited to the Matrix version and/or maybe related to the new PBEM++ system (assuming it required a rewrite of save system)?

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5107582

Matrix support being notoriously slow and incompetent, I'm already starting to regret my decision. Just wanted to use my discount voucher... 😕

3 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I bought the version off Matrix, it's still on 1.02 and no patch on My Page on Matrix. 

I encountered a nasty critical bug with the game failing to overwrite save games, instead creating TMP files in the install folder. Just wondering if this issue is limited to the Matrix version and/or maybe related to the new PBEM++ system (assuming it required a rewrite of save system)?

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5107582

Matrix support being notoriously slow and incompetent, I'm already starting to regret my decision. Just wanted to use my discount voucher... 😕

That is a known bug in the BFC version 1.01, too.

I dunno whether this has been fixed in 1.03 and can't test right now.

9 hours ago, OnePingOnly said:

I’ve downloaded the Windows patch and installed in the correct directory (same as the original install) under my Boot Camp drive (on my Mac). I can see that various files have been updated, but the game won’t run after the install. I’ve tried running as admin and even re-activating, but the game won’t run. No error message - just nothing happens.

Any help as to what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

See if this is the issue:

https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/help/article/136663

4 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

Would you mind posting a screenshot of that?  Which version of the game are you playing?  And from which distributor?

Yes, please see attached. It appears this only applies to the Ride or Die campaign, not to the Standard campaign, which still has the full combat recon patrol.

I just applied patch 1.03 on the non-steam version, but now I see in the main menu it is still on v1.01 for some reason...

e: I see, I forgot that when browsing to the correct install folder the installer adds /combat mission cold war at the end of the file path automatically.

1171381098_CombatMissionColdWarScreenshot2021_11.27-17_23_49_29.thumb.jpg.76e63114a74cdc5a610042bca193bc46.jpg

Edited by KungFuTreachery

Ok folks, 

March or Die for V1.03 (the BFC version) is actually broken in the current release.   There is no problem with the patch or a bug in the build, this came straight down to human error (mine). 

Standard works fine but people will have to wait until we can get the fixed version posted.

9 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Hi Elvis-

Unfortunately this isn’t the problem.

I’m trying to install the Windows version under my Windows 10 Boot Camp install on my Mac.

It’s not a macOS problem. In fact, I was able to successfully install the CMCW patch and run the game in my macOS installation. It’s a long story, but I don’t play the game any more on my macOS partition - all the CM titles exhibit freezing and crash to desktop with my new hardware under macOS; hence my switch to Win 10 Boot Camp where the games run flawlessly on the same hardware. Again - different problem.

not sure what I’m doing wrong since all the prior upgrades/patches worked in their respective Win or Mac installs.

39 minutes ago, OnePingOnly said:

Hi Elvis-

Unfortunately this isn’t the problem.

I’m trying to install the Windows version under my Windows 10 Boot Camp install on my Mac.

It’s not a macOS problem. In fact, I was able to successfully install the CMCW patch and run the game in my macOS installation. It’s a long story, but I don’t play the game any more on my macOS partition - all the CM titles exhibit freezing and crash to desktop with my new hardware under macOS; hence my switch to Win 10 Boot Camp where the games run flawlessly on the same hardware. Again - different problem.

not sure what I’m doing wrong since all the prior upgrades/patches worked in their respective Win or Mac installs.

This is odd. I beat the heck out of the MacOS versions of almost all the CMx2 titles since the CMCW release. I do not recall a single crash-to-desktop or other problems. What Mac do you have? I have a 2019 16" Intel with the 5500 ATI chip. Running Catalina still.

7 hours ago, Halmbarte said:

I too have experienced crashes to desktop with various CM titles on Mac on various OS versions. It's made me be paranoid about doing saves every couple of minutes just so I don't lose too much progress. 

Is that reproducible, e.g. by loading a specific big scenario and doing things in it?

55 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Is that reproducible, e.g. by loading a specific big scenario and doing things in it?

The one crash to desktop that I have that's reproducible is hitting go on turn 30 of the Hornet's nest scenario. That crashed out every time. Otherwise the crash to desktop happens when I'm rapidly switching thru camera groups to check on troops. The second type of crash happens intermittently. 

H

18 minutes ago, Halmbarte said:

The one crash to desktop that I have that's reproducible is hitting go on turn 30 of the Hornet's nest scenario. That crashed out every time. Otherwise the crash to desktop happens when I'm rapidly switching thru camera groups to check on troops. The second type of crash happens intermittently. 

H

Do you have a save you could post or PM that is from before the crash? That could help narrow down the issue

Dave

I actually have 2. Both exhibit the same behavior of crashing to desktop when hitting go at 30 minutes remaining. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcwbp7hs78e7plq/Ashsh al-Dababir (The Hornets' Nest) 31.bts?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txkh340ao08ksgk/Ashsh al-Dababir (The Hornets' Nest) bmp3 34.bts?dl=0

I have prior save games for both too if that would be useful. 

I was only able to complete the 1st scenario when the author ran turn 30 on his computer and he sent ma back another save file. 

H

@Ultradave  The Save Game files posted by @Halmbarte load & run on my PC and the scenario itself does not crash when run on my PC.

After @Halmbarte's intital difficulties I checked the scenario and uploaded a fresh copy. 

When he downloaded that version, it too crashed at the 30 minute point.....I couldn't see anything in the editor and the crash does not occur on my PC.

The two saves crashed for me. The first at 30 minutes, the second about 3 minutes progressed. I've saved the Mac diagnostic reports. Hard for me to decipher but it *appears* to have something to do with OpenGL (don't quote me on that). 

My MacBook Pro is lower spec than @Halmbarte

Before I make a Mantis report, I want to check the scenario from scratch on my Mac. @Sgt.Squarehead is it at FGM, or can you just send me a copy by PM?

Dave